• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Things to Remember for TBS

Raptor2216

I hear all the current SPC's love hearing about the good life in P'cola after the wonderful experience of TBS...just thought I'd pass on some good gouge.

0621girl

-TBS sucks for family members.
-Inverted Flyer: They told me they didnt need to change decals to 'Quantico' if they came from another base, so if anyone has the option to get that knocked out before here, do it. Although, the wait at the mainside VR was practically none.
- Your family members can go to any DEERS, including the main one on MCBQ, so dont wait 5 hrs at Little Hall. Wait 4 at mainside, its prettier scenery. :icon_tong
- Regardless of what Col. Chase said in OCS, if you have kids in school/wife in work/a wife who is not very confident being by herself, dont bring her/them. Why? Because TBS sucks for family member's. :D :icon_tong

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
- Your family members can go to any DEERS, including the main one on MCBQ, so dont wait 5 hrs at Little Hall. Wait 4 at mainside, its prettier scenery.

Little Hall is at Mainside. If you know the location of a different DEERS office let us all know.

As far as TBS being bad for families...I'm glad I have my wife with me. I see her every night and on weekends. The Marine Corps will give me plenty of opportunities to leave her for 6 months. I don't think this should be one of them.

Reactions: E5B

Malice 1

pilot
Other things I had trouble finding in the week one shopping frenzy:
3 black 3" Dring binders
3 white 3" Dring binders

Fox, alpha (me) or bravo: buy a case of hand warmers for FEX's. SOme people may call you a wuss, but you'll be the warm guy while they are freezing. I would strategically tape them to my body so I was a walking heat blanket. LIfe was good. Until I had to run up hill with the SAW.

WEAPONS: if you want to sleep in an exta 30 minutes on the mornings before FEX's, and have an easy time, don't volunteer for the SAW or M203. If you don't mind getting up a little earlier, and lugging around some extra pounds in the field, then get an extra weapon. Plus, you'll never have to clean your M16. I knew I would never again see a machine gun after TBS, so I volunteered for the SAW. It was near and dear to my heart.

LAUNDRY: Make friends with married guys who have WASHING MACHINES at home. The TBS machines actually make your clothes dirtier.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
buy a case of hand warmers for FEX's.
Those were life savers ... call me a wuss too, but I was somewhat more comfortable than those 'hard chargers'.

I would also add a few cans of dip in my pack ... during a FEX you mow through that stuff fast, bring more than you think you need. 6 cans for 5 days in the field would usually be just right.

LAUNDRY: Make friends with married guys who have WASHING MACHINES at home. The TBS machines actually make your clothes dirtier.
Thats the damn truth ...

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
-TBS sucks for family members.
-Inverted Flyer: They told me they didnt need to change decals to 'Quantico' if they came from another base, so if anyone has the option to get that knocked out before here, do it. Although, the wait at the mainside VR was practically none.
- Your family members can go to any DEERS, including the main one on MCBQ, so dont wait 5 hrs at Little Hall. Wait 4 at mainside, its prettier scenery. :icon_tong
- Regardless of what Col. Chase said in OCS, if you have kids in school/wife in work/a wife who is not very confident being by herself, dont bring her/them. Why? Because TBS sucks for family member's. :D :icon_tong

Thanks for the info 0621... now I can sport my Pendleton tags... WeSt CoAsT -- gotta represent ;)

0621girl

Sorry, my husband told me Little Hall was on Camp Barrett. My mistake......:icon_tong

I am happy your wife is happy being there DocT. Thats great. There are a lot of wives here right now who are not having such an easy transition, for some this is their first time ever away from home and a lot of them are very pregnant or have newborns and would probably be better at with a strong support network. I totally agree that you will have more than enough time to be apart, BTDT. :icon_wink But for some wives its just not the best choice, and that was my point. :D

usmc96

Thanks for the info 0621... now I can sport my Pendleton tags... WeSt CoAsT -- gotta represent ;)

Doesn't Matter what tags you have on your car, you still have to put a huge squre decal that is red and says "TBS student" on your car. It is a sign that says "2ndLT in Car, PMO pull over"

JMMH

Ugh.
So... using other people's internet = not okay.
Using other people's washing machine = okay?
Tread lightly with this one.
This does not make the spouse very happy- especially if they live at the Point at Stafford where a full load of laundry can only consist of 6 socks, 4 shirts, and a pair of shorts. We had teeny machines. One set of cammies was also enough to fill them up!

Oh- and if you are going to bring your old nasty stuff over- bring your own detergent damnit!!! ;)

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
I remember flying home for Christmas while at TBS and thumbing through the SkyMall catalog and seeing a vest that had heating elements in it, like a wearable electric blanket. At the time $400 seemed reasonable for something like this, especially when you are trying to take down and order and your hands are shaking so badly you can't write.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
There are a lot of wives here right now who are not having such an easy transition, for some this is their first time ever away from home and a lot of them are very pregnant or have newborns and would probably be better at with a strong support network.

It's our first time on active duty away from home as well and it hasn't been all skittles and bj's by any means. However, any problems we've had we have taken care of together. We're becoming our own support network. As for the pregnant ones...I'm just glad it's not us. That would be tough.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I remember flying home for Christmas while at TBS and thumbing through the SkyMall catalog and seeing a vest that had heating elements in it, like a wearable electric blanket. At the time $400 seemed reasonable for something like this, especially when you are trying to take down and order and your hands are shaking so badly you can't write.

I've heard a lot of talk about the battery-powered socks, especially during range week and FEX II, but haven't seen anyone wearing one.

The hand and body warmers are money, though.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
Who remembers this one?
(while sitting in the stands at some range freezing our asses off, Captain X struts in front of the company)
"I don't know if you noticed this Alpha Company, but I'm not wearing a skivy shirt."
About 10 minutes after he gave us a speech about training ourselves for the cold and how he had done this and it allows him to not wear a skivy shirt and still be ok he is walking around wearing one of the green fleece jackets that the instructors were issued...I truly hope and pray that it was a big joke among the instructors and not real. Man, I think everyone in the stands was going, "huh?"