• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Things to know before OCS

AggieMC

Future Marine Aviator
When it comes to the running, make sure you practice on very hilly terrain. That is what'll kill you if you aren't prepared for it. Those who have been know exactly which trails I am refering to. Also, you'll probably hear at some point to not take your cell phone. Do not listen to them. Bring it in a ziplock bag with your name on it. They'll put it in the contraband locker during the week, but you will get it back for libo.

One last thing, if they give you fruit in the morning before PT, do NOT put it in your locker for later, especially if you have an inspection later that day. It may end up speared on the end of your M16 (happened to a guy in my platoon... funniest thing in the world seeing a candidate standing at parade rest with an apple stuck on the barrel of his M16).

tegtag

One thing some people never got right was inspection and getting their rifle clean. Learn how to clean your rifle the proper way and do that way every time. Go into the inspection knowing your favorite leadership trait and principle and why.

A trick I did when I was getting inspected was try to get the inspector to lose his bearing by me saying something idiotic.

Example 1:
Platoon Commander (of my platoon): What do you want to fly?
Me: Anything that goes fast, Sir.
Plt Cmdr: Fair enough answer.

Example 2:
Plt Cmdr (not my platoon): Air contract eh, well what do you want to fly?
Me: Fixed wing, sir.
Plt Cmdr: Fixed wing? Why fixed wing?
Me: Because they fly fast, high, and have a variety of missions.
Plt Cmdr (only hearing the fast part): So you wanna go fast huh? Do you feel the need for speed?
Me: YES, SIR.
Plt Cmdr: That's f***ing gay. I bet you watched Top Gun all the time when you were little.
Me: Yes, sir.
Plt Cmdr: So why didn't you join the Navy and fly for them?
Me: This candidate does not want to spend 6 months on a ship, sir.
Plt Cmdr (inspecting my rifle): Pssh whsshh well uh psh psh you better rethink why you're here because Marines spend lots of time on naval ships, understand me?

At that point he was so disgusted with me he handed my rifle back to me (without finding a hit) and told me to rethink getting my commission, but I got a favorable on my inspection.

Example 3:
Me: Candidate ... THE University of Texas
CO Cmdr: THE University of Texas huh?
CO Cmdr: I thought Ohio State was the only college with the in front.
Me: No, sir.
CO Cmdr: So will it say THE on your diploma?
CO Cmdr: Alright

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
tegtag said:
A trick I did when I was getting inspected was try to get the inspector to lose his bearing by me saying something idiotic.

Careful on this, we had a prior do this and got chewed on for about 5 minutes for it. Basically saying he was making light of the Marine Corps and wasn't taking things seriously.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
olympianchc said:
very true, but putting out during PT is also where your peers evaluate you a lot. At least my peer eval comments always revolved around motivating people during PT, and I was ranked 3rd and 4th throughout.

VERY important point as well. Agreed.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
tegtag said:
Example 2:
Plt Cmdr (not my platoon): Air contract eh, well what do you want to fly?
Me: Fixed wing, sir.
Plt Cmdr: Fixed wing? Why fixed wing?
Me: Because they fly fast, high, and have a variety of missions.
Plt Cmdr (only hearing the fast part): So you wanna go fast huh? Do you feel the need for speed?
Me: YES, SIR.
Plt Cmdr: That's f***ing gay. I bet you watched Top Gun all the time when you were little.
Plt Cmdr: So why didn't you join the Navy and fly for them?
Me: This candidate does not want to spend 6 months on a ship, sir.
Plt Cmdr (inspecting my rifle): Pssh whsshh well uh psh psh you better rethink why you're here because Marines spend lots of time on naval ships, understand me?

I didnt say any answers like that, but man, you just gave me flash backs.

Plt Cmdr (inspecting my rifle): Pssh whsshh well uh psh psh you better rethink why you're here because Marines spend lots of time on naval ships, understand me? ...

I think I just locked my nasty body on that one ... you understand me ... lol