• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The VW love-hate fest (threadjack)

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Those are two words I never thought I'd see in the same sentence.

Are you joking??

My bug was the only true OFF-ROAD vehicle that I have ever owned (specially for not being 4 wheel drive)... It was ugly as hell.. Think the color was primer and rust but like the Buckeye, A to B and back no problem! '72 Beetle a true machine.. T-2 similar but different..

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Are you joking??

My bug was the only true OFF-ROAD vehicle that I have ever owned (specially for not being 4 wheel drive)... It was ugly as hell.. Think the color was primer and rust but like the Buckeye, A to B and back no problem! '72 Beetle a true machine.. T-2 similar but different..

VW=/= reliable

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Mine was.. She died when, I threw a rod trying to get out of a lake.. It wasn't really a lake but it was underwater on a back road just near where University BLVD ends in Jax..

MasterBates

Every VW I bought was reliable.
1966 Bug
1968 Bus
1977 Rabbit
198? Rabbit Diesel
2000 TurboBeetle
2006 Jetta TDi

I think the worst issue was a bad wire harness on the TurboBeetle that they replaced under warranty. But it still ran and drove to the dealer, just could not use cruise control.

a_m

None
Well, I will say this. VW's generally are good, but when one has a problem, they tend to have multitudes of problems. Combine that with the generally poor customer service and you get some very bitter people. I lucked out and found a great one in Fresno (5 miles from the one that will rob you blind).

a_m

None
One word can cover reliability, good customer service, and loyal customers.

Subaru.

I nearly got one, but the closest dealer at the time was 60 miles away.

Then they opened up one in pensacola 2 weeks after I bought my VW.

phrogpilot73

I nearly got one, but the closest dealer at the time was 60 miles away.

Then they opened up one in pensacola 2 weeks after I bought my VW.
D'Oh!

When I bought mine, I had done a ton of research and found out that Subaru was #3 behind Honda and Toyota for customer loyalty. After owning it for 2 1/2 years - I know why. I'm probably going to replace it with another Subaru when it comes time to retire it.

helo_wifey

+1 for the Subaru...I have one waiting for me when we get back and when that one dies I will also be getting another Subaru. I just wish they sold the ones they do here in Japan in the US, I wouldn't mind having a STI Forester.

brownshoe

Contributor
Every VW I bought was reliable.
1966 Bug
1968 Bus
1977 Rabbit
198? Rabbit Diesel
2000 TurboBeetle
2006 Jetta TDi

I think the worst issue was a bad wire harness on the TurboBeetle that they replaced under warranty. But it still ran and drove to the dealer, just could not use cruise control.

Me too… bought one from my fiancé’ back in the late 70’s. I didn’t care about bling or how I looked, it was a great reliable car.

Somebody mentioned Lucas electrics in another thread. I had many British sports cars, one Bug eye, two MGA’s, two MGB’s and one Healey 3000. The electric systems were awful. Fun cars though. :)

Steve

MasterBates

My Triumph has Nippondenso and Gill electronics, and Keihin carbs.

Only problem with it is the "Triumph territory marker" is inop. Never worked, and the dealer could not figure it out either.

RyanF

unimportant
I had a '67 bug as my high school restoration project. Great for learning basic mechanics on, but I don't think I'd ever get one again. It was definitely a POS. Granted, once I pulled off the shitty, old duel solex carbs that I had just spent a month on installing and tuning, it ran pretty reliably.

Somebody mentioned Lucas electrics in another thread. I had many British sports cars, one Bug eye, two MGA’s, two MGB’s and one Healey 3000. The electric systems were awful. Fun cars though. :)

Steve

You know why the english like warm beer right?! ..... Lucas makes refrigerators too.