• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Yeah but we can all agree, Kevin really stumbled on something that I think is just silver in the mine. We need to harness the power that is rigid airship design.

What if we mounted lots of deathrays on one? Then give it an AEGIS system to run its deathrays and BOOM we get an invincible dirigible. Oh wait, it might fight off a swarm of missiles but it can't do anything against a stream of 20mm cannon shells. There goes my idea.

kevin

good point...how about sharks with frickin laser beams. they could attack the carriers and sink em before the planes could even take off. no wait, back to the original idea....i think the dirigible is too vulnerable. how about hot air balloons. the pilot could be equipped with the helmet mounted cueing system and a picnic basket full of grenades. 360 degree attack capability, baby!! that kind of reminds me of the guy who strapped 40 weather balloons to his lawn chair in an attempt to see if he could get off the ground. well he did, and and in the process dropped his bb gun that was supposed to act as "altitude control". he ended up at 16,000 ft and a steep fine for violating airspace.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
how exactly are u going to be using a high alpha manuever in a dogfight? its a little pointless and seems more effective in an airshow my two cents i'm out
blindfold_125.gif

Ray

How about this for enlightenment. If you can fly slower, the other guy will go out in front of you. So unless they can shoot out of their ass they quickly become a bullet sponge. Plus, the more AOA you can pull for a given airspeed the smaller your turn radius will be. This alows you to bring the nose (which, by the way, is the direction the weapons point) around more quickly to get a shot. So it seems that the ability to sustain high alpha in a fight is quite advantageous, especially fighting something that won't fly slow. Like an F-16. I would go to less airshows and read more about ACM if I were you.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
well arent we just a happy buncha' rambling idiots then. just kidding ok i stand corrected but hey that whole sarcastic condescending crap isn't cool. outeez

Jedj

outeez? not sure what that is, not trying to be condescending either. sarcasm, however, is part of life. Out of curiousity Patmack, how much flight time do you have. and do you have anything constructive to say about ACM tactics or are you just going to try and cut on those that you "think" have no flight time or experience reguarding the subject.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
outeez = out = later = goodbye, and your right. i'm one of the most sarcastic people i know

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
outeez = out = later = goodbye, and your right. i'm one of the most sarcastic people i know anyways

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Lowslow, if you're the most sarcastic person you know...well, you must be quite the little socialite. Jedj, let's look at the two people discussing ACM here...we have a 15 year old kid and an instructor, now, of those two who do you think will know a bit more on the matter? I think senor Pat is just pointing that out.

kevin

man, i knew it couldnt go more than 5 or so posts before the "are you a pilot" card was played. unbelievable.