• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
What Brett said. There are low-level routes all over the country. Not unusual at all, especially where you were.

There is equal likelihood that Tomcat was simply following the road and could care less about who was on it if they even saw you....we were playing tail chase over Turkey back in 80s in the mountains and we used roads to help navigate and came up over a pass inverted looking up at an eighteen wheeler crested the ridge as we had just rolled inverted to pull over ridge using positive G. He certainly got an eyefull of 2 Tomcats. We also raged later over Oman and Saudi Arabia and when we flew with TARPS, we'd find vehicles we never saw...flying that low takes concentration to avoid CFIT so buzzing vehicles aren't always the objective...I'm personally against it as a complaint can end up with unwanted carpet time.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Thats a shame...really. I would like to see the tomcat around for a few more years.

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
It is sad to see the Tomcat go. Just the sight of it conveys pure power and gets your heart to flutter. The F/A-18 is an awsome plane and hopefully it will live up to the legacy that the F-14 left behind. You will be missed.

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
MasterBates said:
Rhino has a chance.
With who? I watched Top Gun again just to make sure and I couldn't find a single scene with Tom Cruise riding in a super hornet. Without some serious love from Hollywood, I don't think the rhino has a chance.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Super Hornet and Hollywood

larbear said:
With who? I watched Top Gun again just to make sure and I couldn't find a single scene with Tom Cruise riding in a super hornet. Without some serious love from Hollywood, I don't think the rhino has a chance.

Super Hornet was featured in Behind Enemy Lines in 2001 doing some amazing things (or at least the SAMs were pretty amazing and tenacious to the point of being beyond belief).

See the trailer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159273/trailers-screenplay-E15466-10-2

18.jpg
85m.jpg

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
heyjoe said:
Super Hornet was featured in Behind Enemy Lines in 2001 doing some amazing things (or at least the SAMs were pretty amazing and tenacious to the point of being beyond belief).
I stand corrected.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
larbear said:
I stand corrected.

Of course, you are correct in that it didn't generate a surge of recruiting and cult phenomena like the Tomcat did in Top Gun nor has Hollywood continued to use it (so far).

onedge

pilot
heyjoe said:
Of course, you are correct in that it didn't generate a surge of recruiting and cult phenomena like the Tomcat did in Top Gun nor has Hollywood continued to use it (so far).

That phenomena will continue with the release of "Speed and Angels"

zuggerat

i was at republic airport where they held the full ceremony... i have really good pictures if anyone is interested... ill put them on rapidshare if i get some responses

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
onedge said:
That phenomena will continue with the release of "Speed and Angels"
I've only been able to find a trailer for it. Do you know where I might find more info?