• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Just got word that two Navy helo friends/aquaintences have successfully hired on at United. One is Navy helo + GA piston twin mins to AMEL ATP and had gotten hired at Low Cost Carrier - during the middle of OE, interviewed at United and was hired / CJO immediatly - not even finishing OE or consolidating.

Other is Navy Helo to regional via RTP, two maternity leaves at regional plus mil leave for Reserves AT - only had 300 hours as FO on CRJ - and is also newly on property at United.

Clearly Navy helo types can now skip regionals and go right to majors/The Show. Impressive and you all deserve it of course. Timing and hiring cycle is amazing. ?

Clearly if you are a young HSC/HM and have sights set on a career flying 121, go get your airplane category experience mins soonest. Cessna 172 in Tidewater/Hampton Roads are going for $200+/hour.

Last edited:

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Just got word that two Navy helo friends/aquaintences have successfully hired on at United. One is Navy helo + GA piston twin mins to AMEL ATP and had gotten hired at Low Cost Carrier - during the middle of OE, interviewed at United and was hired / CJO immediatly - not even finishing OE or consolidating.

Other is Navy Helo to regional via RTP, two maternity leaves at regional plus mil leave for Reserves AT - only had 300 hours as FO on CRJ - and is also newly on property at United.

Clearly Navy helo types can now skip regionals and go right to majors/The Show. Impressive and you all deserve it of course. Timing and hiring cycle is amazing. ?

Clearly if you are a young HSC/HM and have sights set on a career flying 121, go get your airplane category experience mins soonest. Cessna 172 in Tidewater/Hampton Roads are going for $200+/hour.

Currently, the gloves are off and the legacies are very keen on hiring people who staff their competitors flying.

ChuckMK23

pilot
So we have pilots that took early retirement. And went to the regionals for the crazy pay and bonus.
We have a flying club CFI who was a RJ CA in the 90's and early 2000's, hasn't flown a jet in 20 years - left Comair to go to law school when they folded. He got hired as a street captain at a regional flying EMB 145's - and has found a home in the training dept making twice what he ever did as a lawyer. Cray cray. (and good for him!)

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
What is the deal with people meowing on guard, and just BSing on guard in general? This morning it was "Guuuuaaaarrrdd Morning! hahahahaha! I can't wait to fly for United Airlines!" followed by at least two voices meowing at each other while I was trying to instruct a foreign student during a formation flight. I deselected Guard after that, but FFS, people. Guard is not the time or the place.

I really hope it isn't pilots being dumb on the radio.

[/rant]

ChuckMK23

pilot
What is the deal with people meowing on guard, and just BSing on guard in general? This morning it was "Guuuuaaaarrrdd Morning! hahahahaha! I can't wait to fly for United Airlines!" followed by at least two voices meowing at each other while I was trying to instruct a foreign student during a formation flight. I deselected Guard after that, but FFS, people. Guard is not the time or the place.

[/rant]
Well at least the "Let's go Brandon" calls are no longer a thing.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor

[/rant]

I can assure you the meowing on guard is, in fact, coming from bored pilots. I’ve personally never heard of it getting so bad that it impacted a genuine emergency call from a mayday aircraft, or a controller doing their job. Obviously there’s no professional justification for it, but it has lead to a momentary chuckle on a long flight when I do hear someone do it.

Is it childish and annoying to some? Yes. Is it 99.9% of the time harmless? Yes. Is there any way to enforce pilots not doing it? I don’t think so.

ChuckMK23

pilot
The airline guys at the office attribute the Guard shenanigans to the younger age regional CA's - because it's the CA that would have to at least sanction it - if only passively. Same goes for dip/smokeless tobacco use on the flight deck.