• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

SlickAg

pilot
There are lots of carriers that wanted a common type. It’s ludicrous to say that one carrier with hundreds of orders dictated the design of a plane with thousands of orders.

In fact Boeing announced the MAX when American announced a big Airbus order. Look it up.
So you don’t think your inability to have pilots qualled on ‘classics’, NG, and MAX series played any role in it? Because I think every other major US 737 operator had already retired their -300/500s.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So you don’t think your inability to have pilots qualled on ‘classics’, NG, and MAX series played any role in it? Because I think every other major US 737 operator had already retired their -300/500s.
I’m not sure what you’re getting at. The FAA didn’t allow it. They retired the classics right before the first MAX flights.

SlickAg

pilot
I’m not sure what you’re getting at. The FAA didn’t allow it. They retired the classics right before the first MAX flights.
I thought the deal was you could fly two of the three but not all three, because you can only fly two aircraft types for a 121 carrier.

Regardless, I think there were clearly some other concerns as well.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I thought the deal was you could fly two of the three but not all three, because you can only fly two aircraft types for a 121 carrier.

Regardless, I think there were clearly some other concerns as well.

Not being able to fly classics, NG’s, and MAX at the same time does not support the argument that the MAX came to be because of SWA.

SlickAg

pilot
Not being able to fly classics, NG’s, and MAX at the same time does not support the argument that the MAX came to be because of SWA.
The MAX didn’t come to be bc of SWA.

But the decision to have it be the same type rating as the NG was most likely influenced by one of Boeing’s biggest 737 customers. If there were two separate types, no need for it to stall like an NG, therefore no MCAS, and the rest is history.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are lots of carriers that wanted a common type. It’s ludicrous to say that one carrier with hundreds of orders dictated the design of a plane with thousands of orders.
But SWA was (is ?) the biggest MAX customer by a long shot. That didn't happen over night. Meetings took place, requirements communicated. Not saying single type and min differences training didn't benefit all customers, but you just can't ignore the fact that as possibly the biggest 737 customer for Boeing over decades, they did not have sway. No need to defend it. It is called customer service. It was up to the FAA to step on the brakes when Boeing asked for too much. SWA was not certifying designs or approving training.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The MAX didn’t come to be bc of SWA.

But the decision to have it be the same type rating as the NG was most likely influenced by one of Boeing’s biggest 737 customers. If there were two separate types, no need for it to stall like an NG, therefore no MCAS, and the rest is history.
That same desire exists for every other NG operator who bought the MAX. It’s absurd to say it’s because of one customer. The MAX literally was launched to secure an order from AA, but it would be crazy to say they are reason they designed it the way they did.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
But SWA was (is ?) the biggest MAX customer by a long shot. That didn't happen over night. Meetings took place, requirements communicated. Not saying single type and min differences training didn't benefit all customers, but you just can't ignore the fact that as possibly the biggest 737 customer for Boeing over decades, they did not have sway. No need to defend it. It is called customer service. It was up to the FAA to step on the brakes when Boeing asked for too much. SWA was not certifying designs or approving training.
Wikipedia says 280 orders for SWA. 251 for Lion Air, 251 for FlyDubai. Several others around 200 orders. SWA is a tiny fraction of the total 4400 orders. It’s a wives tale that just keeps going that SWA tells Boeing how to design 737’s.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It took the FAA around 10 years to wring their hands and finally approve BasicMed. The data was plentiful and it really was a no-brainer to approve.
If BasicMed took 10 years, it will take 1,000 years before we go single-pilot in wide-body turbine aircraft. Maybe 10,000 years.

I don't see a scenario in which ALPA would support single pilot or autonomous ops either.

To quote Han Solo- "But who's going to fly it, kid?"

Python

pilot
Contributor
I don't see a scenario in which ALPA would support single pilot or autonomous ops either.

To quote Han Solo- "But who's going to fly it, kid?"

ALPA won’t, but the airlines themselves will potentially go to war to lobby for it, and they have the cash and motivation to fight that war.
“Never tell me the odds”

Python

pilot
Contributor
Not anymore.

You'll see single/unpiloted large transport aircraft pop up in other sectors of the industry before airlines, and (spoiler alert), it's not coming anytime soon.
Cargo has been doing well. And they have always been thought of as the de facto guinea pigs. I guess I’ll ask your crystal ball: what defines “anytime soon?”

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Cargo has been doing well. And they have always been thought of as the de facto guinea pigs. I guess I’ll ask your crystal ball: what defines “anytime soon?”
It‘s gonna take more than just lobbying. Like for instance, there exists ZERO single pilot certified aircraft on the market (Heavy transport). Take the MAX, which is the current thread jack, it is certified for 2 pilots and brand new. There is nothing in development for 1 pilot. Also look at the MAX, Boeing can’t even get that thing recertified cause the FAA takes forever even with money being thrown at it.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
^This. I've been hearing why drones are replacing "everything tomorrow" for the past 20 years, and it hasn't happened. If anything, the digital environment has become less secure, and more prone to software issues.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I'd define "anytime soon" here as the next 10 years. My bigger point is, you'll be able to see it coming a long way off. It won't crush the industry overnight the way COVID-19 has.

The time, money, and effort it takes to develop and certify a clean sheet design or make substantial modifications to an existing design suggests minimum crew reduction for a heavy transport would take at least several years- AFTER a design is started. As @FrankTheTank points out, that hasn't happened yet, at least not publicly. To single- or zero- pilot certify an existing design requires substantial modification and complete recertifying to the latest regs, making such modifications expensive and impractical. This is all also assuming the issues of AI, digital security, redundant safety, and public acceptance are all able to be addressed.

Look, drones are great. But piloted aircraft are not on the verge of being totally replaced. I also don't believe we'd want them to be.

If it gets to 2030 and large numbers of people with zero flight experience are happily riding around in autonomous aircraft, then I'll admit I was wrong. But I don't believe I am.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Look, drones are great. But piloted aircraft are not on the verge of being totally replaced. I also don't believe we'd want them to be.

If it gets to 2030 and people with zero flight experience are happily riding around in autonomous aircraft, then I'll admit I was wrong. But I don't believe I am.
It's complicated and yet it's as simple as that- the technology is there to make it happen (we can put a cruise missile through a window on the other side of the world and we've had that ability for a long time), but the technology to make sure it happens is the complicated part.