• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

neverVikings

Preparation, Knowledge, Attitude
How fast can airlines de-mothball airplanes as demand comes back? What are the challenges with doing so- assuming the jets were parked for somewhere between 3 and 6 months?

I'm guessing the answer is "very fast", but I'm genuinely curious. I'm sure it's faster than taking a squadron from the maintenance phase into TSTA... ?
I can take a stab at this one. I'm actually evaluating this for my airline/Union. Each airplane will need a maintenance window to get it back into flying condition. This takes many man-hours per plane. The process will require coordination with the airport where the aircraft is stored, the maintenance crew, and the flight crew to fly the plane back to a base. Some aircraft will require a longer return to service depending on the level of maintenance that was conducted. The short answer is, the process is not quick. Once the industry fires up again, it appears that it would be many months to get the entire fleet back into service.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I can take a stab at this one. I'm actually evaluating this for my airline/Union. Each airplane will need a maintenance window to get it back into flying condition. This takes many man-hours per plane. The process will require coordination with the airport where the aircraft is stored, the maintenance crew, and the flight crew to fly the plane back to a base. Some aircraft will require a longer return to service depending on the level of maintenance that was conducted. The short answer is, the process is not quick. Once the industry fires up again, it appears that it would be many months to get the entire fleet back into service.
I imagine it would have to be carefully phased. Aligning aircraft with location, crews, and passenger need is going to be logistic and administrative feat. Maybe a good time to keep your smart people on the payroll.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
This article would have been timely about six weeks ago, but I'm not complaining.

(More timely on the part of WSJ, although there was some explanation in the media then as the CARES Act was getting put together.)

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I wish.. Been flying my ass off.. I’m ready for vacation! And they have made it a pain in the ass with thermal scanners and face masks. And of course, all the IT department is working from home so none of the computers and printers work.

I'm interested to see this. With all the pilots not flying much (if at all), can you not just bid on fewer trips? I know it's probably not that simple; I'm just genuinely curious.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I'm interested to see this. With all the pilots not flying much (if at all), can you not just bid on fewer trips? I know it's probably not that simple; I'm just genuinely curious.
I’m at 74% in seat. So the lines I can hold are garbage and middle of the night. So to do mostly day flying, I bid a secondary line which. Is about half trips and half day reserve. FedEx generally stacks reserve so we don’t fly much. But because all the international stuff, it’s rippled into the domestic system and we are getting lots of gauge changes and ad hoc flights. They are even using the -10s HF only internationally. Prior to the virus, they were shrinking the Airbus and MD-10/11 fleets so we are undermanned now.

Edit: I could work less on night reserve. But ever since I came back off medical, I decided I would rather do more day flying and sleep at reasonable times. Nights was easier when my kids were little and everybody went to bed 7-8ish. Now I’m spoiled and like going to sleep 10-11ish.