• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'd love to see a service in the US like Japan has with Black Cat's Ta-Q-Bin. I used to be able to ship a giant piece of luggage from Sasebo to Tokyo for $15. We'd take the Shin with only a backpack with iPads and snacks for the kids and when we got to the New Sanno our stuff was waiting for us in our room. Glorious!

Not quite the same, but FedEx gives some massive discount to Airline employees. AA gets something like 70% off.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not quite the same, but FedEx gives some massive discount to Airline employees. AA gets something like 70% off.
Yup awesome deal. I don't know what FEDEX gets in exchange, but their employees don't get jack from AA in exchange. AA employees benefit but FEDEX employees don't.

BTW, did you AA folks know you can send freight on AA basicly like nonreving as a pax? Box goes space A and it cost next to nothing. Just take it to the local AA Air Cargo office at the airport. Recipient has to go to the airport to pick it up, but hey, the price is right. Sent stuff to my son once he got a job in NOVA and was sure he wasn't coming back home. Easy pick up at DCA.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a Fedex guy, I viewed the shipping discount y’all get as part of the trade made to let us Jumpseat & non-rev.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who gets to non-rev? I didn't think regular ground staff got to non-rev.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who gets to non-rev? I didn't think regular ground staff got to non-rev.

In exchange for the FedEx pilots ability to Jumpseat and buy ID90’s for our families. We can’t reciprocate the ID90’s, so I like to think the shipping discount is a bit of compensation.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
The bonus is a little misleading.. The reason is before this “bonus” you could just walk off and retire. Fedex runs lean and if wide body Captains just retired it would crush peak. This is all about peak manning. So you give advance notice and adhere to stay thru peak, you get the bonus.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
F. End of Career Sick Leave/Advance Notice of Planned RetirementBonus
1. A pilot who reaches age 60 prior to his retirement date, and who pro-vides at least 12 months advance written notice that his retirement date will be either during the month in which he turns the regulated age or on December 31 of a specified year, shall be eligible for the
End of Career Sick Leave/Advance Notice of Planned Retirement Bo-nus (Bonus).
2. Such pilot’s Bonus shall be based on the sum of his eligible earnings, as defined in Section 28.F.3., in the 24 calendar months immediately
preceding his last day of employment as a pilot, including the month containing the pilot’s last day of employment, including any vacation paid after the pilot’s last day of employment.
3. Eligible earnings shall include all pensionable earnings during that 24 calendar month period, except earnings attributable to sick leave
(DSA, RSA).
4. A pilot’s Bonus shall be the lesser of:
a. 50% of the pilot’s eligible earnings in excess of $520,000; or
b. 50% of the pilot’s closing DSA bank balance, multiplied by his lasthourly rate, or
c. $110,000.

Credit Hoove cause I stole his post of the CBA from somewhere else...

Last edited:

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Yup awesome deal. I don't know what FEDEX gets in exchange, but their employees don't get jack from AA in exchange. AA employees benefit but FEDEX employees don't.

BTW, did you AA folks know you can send freight on AA basicly like nonreving as a pax? Box goes space A and it cost next to nothing. Just take it to the local AA Air Cargo office at the airport. Recipient has to go to the airport to pick it up, but hey, the price is right. Sent stuff to my son once he got a job in NOVA and was sure he wasn't coming back home. Easy pick up at DCA.

I did not know about AA non rev cargo. Thanks!

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
The biggest thing is you need a max sick bank which some may or may not have. Max is 686.. Which is rollover of unused sick, 72 a year. So takes about 10 years to max out if you never call in sick. I am in year 15 and don’t have the max. But if it were maxed then this years bonus would be. 686 x 1/2 = 107,359. I would rather just get paid the full amount instead of pushing flying sick which is worth 214,718. (Assuming max pay rate, Dec 2018 of $313 an hour)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In exchange for the FedEx pilots ability to Jumpseat and buy ID90’s for our families. We can’t reciprocate the ID90’s, so I like to think the shipping discount is a bit of compensation.
So every swinging dick at the world's largest airline gets a FedEx discount so 4500 pilots out of 425,000 FedEx employees get to jumpseat. Remind me not to hire the guy that negotiated that deal.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
So every swinging dick at the world's largest airline gets a FedEx discount so 4500 pilots out of 425,000 FedEx employees get to jumpseat. Remind me not to hire the guy that negotiated that deal.
That’s what we are told.. I think it’s Urban Legend. The actual shitty part is we get restricted on the discount (even disciplined) for using it during peak.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That’s what we are told.. I think it’s Urban Legend. The actual shitty part is we get restricted on the discount (even disciplined) for using it during peak.
So at Christmas when you need to ship gifts (well the ones Amazon isn't delivering for you on Prime Air/Atlas) you don't get the discount? Sucks.