• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Fallonflyr

pilot
When I started flying my dad's plane with my dad, it was after a pretty long hiatus from General Aviation. Just the way he had things setup, I couldn't really see his iPad well enough and he only has a very ancient Garmin panel GPS that doesn't even have all of the fixes/airports in the database and has no moving map display (think one step above the old IIMorrow LORAN Fly Buddy that I first flew with years earlier). However, his plane is fully IFR capable and has a Davtron that displays the radial digitally. He never really used it so I'd always reach up and flip it to "FROM" so I could figure out where the hell I was. Since he was never taught on a RMI, he initially kept asking why I wanted it "FROM" when we were heading to a station, but after a while, he understood why I was using it the way I was.

I am definitely a RMI cripple.
What’s an RMI??

D

Deleted member 24525

A little bird told me CNATRA has informed reserve IP’s they are forbidden to mention airlines in squadron spaces or to students.

Before I got out, that was my only joy in life....that and “over flying” ??

FTN

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
In a bad way.

“Clearance on request”. (Shudder)

In my reserve squadron a guy (not an airline guy yet) couldn’t get a response from clearance delivery at a small airport. He called 1-800-wxbrief to try to get his clearance. Didn’t know to call ground. Or tower.

Just don’t be the asshole who tries to file on ground when a clearance/delivery freq is available. Yeah seen that happen once or twice.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Wait, what's wrong with "Clearance on request"?
It's the phrase that Clearance Delivery say to you, not you to them. You're supposed to say to them, "Pawtucket Clearance Delivery, Navy [callsign] IFR to KBFE." That's it. They reply either, "Navy xxxx, you are cleared to KBFE as filed, climb and maintain [etc.]" or "Navy xxxx, your clearance is on request."

Unfortunately, pilots saying the phrase "clearance on request" is in a lot of Navy flight training manuals. The Air Force is guilty of it too. We sound like a bunch of dumbasses when we say it and we don't even know it.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Fair enough, it's in the KNSE FWOP so it doesn't sound unusual to me at all.
It’s a Navy holdover from the days when there was significant amount of manual work to get an IFR clearance and clearance limit though the ARTCC. Now clearances are processed from filing to acknowledgement in seconds. And can be amended just as quickly. The correct phraseology is simply “Clearance, Caravan 2345 Sierra, IFR to Nashville” heck you can omit “Clearance” - they know who they are ?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
FYI there is an FAA pilot program to transmit clearances via text message - can’t wait to see this.