• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Well, because not everyone is an airline pilot. Don't be rude. Some reading this hope to some day but aren't, and others just don't want to be but are interested in our lifestyle and careers. Then there are guys like me that nonrev all over the world but still collect miles by the boat load via other means that I use for hotels and yes, even that positive space ticket once in a while when getting there "in a reasonable" time means not within a day but within a couple hours or you miss the cruise ship sailing, kick off, or pay a few hundred dollars penalty for a hotel room you missed check in for. And that is because the good deal is just not as good deal as it used to be. Looks like I will be able to nonrev to IAH for thanksgiving. But I can't get the family to DFW or ORD. If I can't get to DFW or ORD can't get on that open flight to CDG or ZRH. Be honest with these guys. It's a good gig. But it ain't what it used to be and there is a lot of myth still floating around out there.
I know Wink, I probably should have put a smilie or two at the end of the post.

I was alluding to the thread drift (normal I know) from the thread's title. But pax benefits versus pilot benefits is a big 180 degree drift and probably deserves a new thread. But I've always embraced the AW tradition of massive thread drift so why am I reacting now?

So to continue the tradition....

I'm also f'ing tired of hearing how the airlines are screwing with pax (not necessarily just on this site and the post I responded to did not say so, it just presented the fact). It's cheaper than ever to fly even with all the fees and additional government taxes.

https://www.aei.org/publication/eve...-travel-per-mile-has-fallen-by-50-since-1980/

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...50-in-30-years-and-why-nobody-noticed/273506/

https://www.aei.org/publication/the...last-decade-and-17-cheaper-than-20-years-ago/

So, I'm back to the who gives a fuck? It's still something for free. Just a little less something now.

jmcquate

Contributor
Your a sorry fuck Hal. The world's not about the money (and I bet you don't make that much). It's about the impression you leave on it, and I bet setting a flight director and a GPS on AP and sitting back for x hours isn't quite getting there. Have fun with the menopausal flight crew.

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Your a sorry fuck Hal. The world's not about the money (and I bet you don't make that much). It's about the impression you leave on it, and I bet setting a flight director and a GPS on AP and sitting back for x hours isn't quite getting there. Have fun with the menopausal flight crew.
No it's not just about money. It's also about quality of life and mine is great and I have at least 15 days off each month with plenty of time to spend with family/friends and travel. While I'm not rolling in money I make more than anyone in the military. I'm not in the 1% but I am in the 2%.

I'm also very happy with the "impression" I've left and what I've done in life. I've done my share to make the country and world a better place. I just don't shout about it from the roof tops.

BTW, at Hawaiian, over 60% of our FAs have been hired in the last 7 years. I'd say the average age is in the low 30s at most. Hardly menopausal.

Those on this site in the airline industry know very well what's what with regard to pay, benefits and QOL for a major airline pilot and wide-body Captain.

I took your post as a joke and my FIFY reply was intended as such. Obviously you have issues. You have no clue about The Show and quite frankly, I can give a fuck what you or anyone else thinks. I out grew that years ago.

Next time you're at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts,
3836937_orig.jpg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
No it's not just about money. It's also about quality of life and mine is great and I have at least 15 days off each month with plenty of time to spend with family/friends and travel. While I'm not rolling in money I make more than anyone in the military. I'm not in the 1% but I am in the 2%.

I'm also very happy with the "impression" I've left and what I've done in life. I've done my share to make the country and world a better place. I just don't shout about it from the roof tops.

BTW, at Hawaiian, over 60% of our FAs have been hired in the last 7 years. I'd say the average age is in the low 30s at most. Hardly menopausal.

Those on this site in the airline industry know very well what's what with regard to pay, benefits and QOL for a major airline pilot and wide-body Captain.

I took your post as a joke and my FIFY reply was intended as such. Obviously you have issues. You have no clue about The Show and quite frankly, I can give a fuck what you or anyone else thinks. I out grew that years ago.

Next time you're at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts,
3836937_orig.jpg

Good Lord, who pissed in your cornflakes? I simply mentioned that the airlines were cutting rewards programs for frequent flyers which is a nice bennie for those that fly to work - and that a better use for miles would be hotel rooms. Its not like I called for Open Skies so we could all have the luxury of flying Emirates.

Glad you like your job - it pays well and has a lot of perks - although some other folks might find it monotonous. Vertrep has 6 weeks off at a pop, good pay, training in South Africa, Norway and France, port calls all over the world, officer's mess (to include the dangerous ice cream bar) on the ship, being able to hit the gym whenever you want and not having to do anything on the ship when not flying - and the flying is all stick and rudder (well, stick and anti-torque pedals.) Then again, still others might want a job where they are home every night with their family. To each their own.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Good Lord, who pissed in your cornflakes? I simply mentioned that the airlines were cutting rewards programs for frequent flyers which is a nice bennie for those that fly to work - and that a better use for miles would be hotel rooms. Its not like I called for Open Skies so we could all have the luxury of flying Emirates.

Glad you like your job - it pays well and has a lot of perks - although some other folks might find it monotonous. Vertrep has 6 weeks off at a pop, good pay, training in South Africa, Norway and France, port calls all over the world, officer's mess (to include the dangerous ice cream bar) on the ship, being able to hit the gym whenever you want and not having to do anything on the ship when not flying - and the flying is all stick and rudder (well, stick and anti-torque pedals.) Then again, still others might want a job where they are home every night with their family. To each their own.
I said you just posted the fact (that they changed the program) in my response to Wink, never judged you at all. The post you quoted had nothing to do with you. It was in response to jmcquate's rant.

I'm glad you rotorheads have great job options too.

But again, if you guys don't like my opinions or posts - I don't really give a fuck.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I saw a statistic that 70% of all military pilots who seperate before retirement end up in flying jobs on the outside.

I originally didn't plan on it, at all, thanks to a poor hiring outlook during my time in Naval Aviation and some other fields I was interested in pursuing. Reality changed in several regards so now I'm looking for a job that will offer a decent quality of life and decent pay. Now that economy is improving the airlines are set to retire many of their pilots in the next several years it's become a much more appealing option.

As my father approaches retirement age, he's reflected that money and quality of life (however you define it) are the name of the game, and not much else matters at the end of the day. Life at the majors seem like an avenue to gain those things so it would be something worth pursuing, if those are your goals. even if it is "boring".

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I saw a statistic that 70% of all military pilots who seperate before retirement end up in flying jobs on the outside.

I originally didn't plan on it, at all, thanks to a poor hiring outlook during my time in Naval Aviation and some other fields I was interested in pursuing. Reality changed in several regards so now I'm looking for a job that will offer a decent quality of life and decent pay. Now that economy is improving the airlines are set to retire many of their pilots in the next several years it's become a much more appealing option.

As my father approaches retirement age, he's reflected that money and quality of life (however you define it) are the name of the game, and not much else matters at the end of the day. Life at the majors seem like an avenue to gain those things so it would be something worth pursuing, if those are your goals. even if it is "boring".
I agree with your dad. Almost two years in. Pay is great now. Quality of life is awesome.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Personally, I do find it boring more often then not. BUT, I find plenty to do in my life to make up for that. Things I might not have been able to invest as much time or effort into if I had a more traditional job. The Reserves are great for replacing a desire to serve and lead. If u get a flying gig like I had for my first 5 years in the USNR all the better. I have been able to fly in law enforcement, be a USNA Blue and Gold officer, Scout leader, youth sports coach, set up my wife's business, race cars with my son, travel the world, and just lately an active member of the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation with a flying Cobra and fantastic future plans I am taking a small leadership role in. What is notable isn't that I have had time to do those things, not uncommon for anyone, but that I was doing it all at the same time. My airline job allowed that kind a schedule flexibility and time off with no worries brought home after work. I have more fun flying my 1954 Cessna 170b then a B737, and no one is telling me when to go out and fly it or making me stay in a hotel bed away from home for the privilege of flying that day. Yup good job. But I can't wait to retire.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Cool, now that the pissing match is over, someone explain to me how a helo guy gets to the airlines. :) I am assuming my hours are mostly worthless?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Go the @mad dog route and send the CEO of Delta a bunch of cool selfies in different flight jackets - you'll be in no probs... ;)
You hoser...I didn't do that...but I did call the front hiring office a ton of times inquiring about my app and why I hadn't received an interview. I think they got sick and tired of me calling...so I received an interview so I'd STFU. But that was back in 1999-2000...I don't think it's possible to call anymore...but I'm not sure about that.