• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Road to OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
I appreciate those of you who had something of worth to say, but to the rest of you who are just getting your +1's on the forum... :sleep_125

It is not a question of IF I will get in, but a question of when. It is not my inability to troll the boards to find the information lost in places and among useless banter that keeps me from using the search engine on AW, but the fact that I am a fulltime student, a husband, a father, and someone who is working way too much at their job because their boss is an idiot and can't hire more people before he decides to go on vacation with his family thus doubling the hours of the 3 people working (the expected number of people working there in the summer is 8 or 9).

I knew that me posting this thread would get the usual forum-types that will go on and on about not searching for the information, but all I was asking for was some helpful advice. I do appreciate those of you that helped me and provided some links.

rant off.

anyways... I do realize that the dream I have is quite difficult to obtain. I've spoken to quite a few pilots out here in Pensacola and Lemoore when I was there. Navy is in my blood and I have a strong desire to serve my country. I think the best way that anyone can serve is in the way they've dreamt about, although they have to push themselves to get there sometimes.

Career navy is definitely my plan. A lot of people talked about how I can do the navy as a pilot and then get out and do commercial aviation to make money, but I have 0 interest in driving a flying bus or toting around some rich bastard who's flying out to see his mistress on the premise of a "business trip."

When I join and up and get my wings, I will fly for as long as possible (hopefully fighters)(although I may not do like my dad's CAG and pass- up everything I would really need to advance).

I realize you have all probably heard this stuff time and time again from kids who have no real ambition for it but think it would be cool. But I'm someone who has dreamt of it for a long time, who's entire life has been centered around naval aviation, and who has nothing to stop them from doing it.

I joined this forum for information and encouragement, but if I ruffle your feathers with my dreams, I apologize. Until I finish college it's just the most I can do about it.

Josh

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I realize you have all probably heard this stuff time and time again from kids who have no real ambition for it but think it would be cool. But I'm someone who has dreamt of it for a long time, who's entire life has been centered around naval aviation, and who has nothing to stop them from doing it.
You are not the first (or the last) person to have a lifelong dream and ambition up the ass for the same things you desire. The reality of the situation is that those things can only take you so far. There are many other factors that play a role. Here is another bit of advice - don't get your panties in a bunch, Alice. The "useless" banter you speak of comes with the territory, and if you actually listen you might find it to be not-so useless.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
First off, I think of myself more of a Sarah than an Alice...

I was only calling "useless banter" what people posted that had offered no help whatsoever.

I spoke to an officer recruiter today about the BDCP program. Really wish I had looked into that sooner. I thought that once you signed up you had to go through basic and then try and finish school while doing some method of service. I don't qualify just yet, though, because of my GPA. My major GPA is like 3.2 or something, but my cumulative is an embarrassing 2.36. I'm working really hard to bring it up now. I was completely unfocused before, but now that I'm married, have a 6 month old son, am working, and reassessed what it is going to take for me to achieve my goals, I've really buckled down.

I'm not here to ruffle anyone's feathers. Just looking to get information and keep motivated for the next year or so of this physics degree.

Josh

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I spoke to an officer recruiter today about the BDCP program....I don't qualify just yet, though, because of my GPA. My major GPA is like 3.2 or something, but my cumulative is an embarrassing 2.36.

Your profile says you have a year and a bit of school left. Given that that entire year is going to be spent bringing your GPA up (and you should bring it up if you want an aviation slot, be it SNA or NFO), I don't see how you would do BDCP.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
The recruiters seem to love BDCP. I was told I would get it with a year and a half left of school. Needless to say, I didn't get it.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Well, I have to bring it up to atleast a 2.7 which I can do by end of fall semester this year. I'm taking 2 classes this summer and expect to get B's or better on both. Then next semester I'm taking Calculus III, Linear Algebra, Modern Physics 1 and Lab, Advanced Programming and Lab and I'm pretty sure that's it. Granted, I will be practically living on campus for the rest of the semester, but if I can bring up my GPA enough to have a shot at BDCP, it'll take a huge load off financially. Between bringing up my GPA and the studying I'll be doing for the test we have to take, I've got a fair shot at atleast being considered. And if I don't, then I'll just be doing what I've been doing so far...working to afford college and studying as much as possible. I did get some grants this year, so that'll help a lot.

The recruiter told me it was going to be tough to get there from where I was now in such a short amount of time, but it's not impossible.

edit:
Does anyone know who does the 1 on 1 chat sessions on the navy.com site? Aside from horrible spelling, the guy I talked to was an absolute asshole. He told me that even if I brought my GPA up I had absolutely no chance of getting in and then closed the chat window... Kinda pissed me off. But it's ok cause it got me to call the officer recruiter who knew a bit more.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Well, I have to bring it up to atleast a 2.7 which I can do by end of fall semester this year.
Does anyone know who does the 1 on 1 chat sessions on the navy.com site? Aside from horrible spelling, the guy I talked to was an absolute asshole. He told me that even if I brought my GPA up I had absolutely no chance of getting in and then closed the chat window...

Don't count on BDCP cash with a 2.7
I applied with a 3.2-ish GPA and I'm sure I barely squeaked by. But you might get lucky--no harm in applying.

Your ASTB will probably be awesome because of the classes you take. I found that having taken some engineering and 2 different physics classes really helped.

As for the chat sessions, sounds like AirWarriors members if they're assholes :D Seriously though, you can get all the info you need from guys here and from your recruiter.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Yeah, the recruiter told me that under a 3.0 it would be a real long shot unless I just tore it up on the test. I expect I should kill the physics section being a physics major.

I'm going to go pick up an exam guide for it with practice tests and all that to get a feel for the type of questions and format.

I'm hoping that they'll also see that I'm married, a father, working, a PADI rescue diver, have strong interest in career navy, have lived the navy life as a dependent my entire life and are thus less likely to decide I can't handle it once I'm in.

We'll see, I guess. For now I just know that I need to bring my GPA up. Speaking of which... it's study/homework time.

Thanks for the advice. More is always welcome.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Just acing the physics part won't give you an amazing score but it will help. If you want to get selected for SNA it would behoove you to study up the aviation/nautical information. Do well on the spatial apperception section too. It's not impossible to do well but it certainly can be difficult if you aren't on your A-game.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Sounds good. Just do your homework and don't forget how to do those integrals from calc 2 because you will need them in E&M, quantum, ODEs, PDEs, and mechanics. In fact, I think I had to do \int_{0}^{\infty}x^{n}e^{-kx} dx by hand on a quantum exam...

I mean, what? physics? That's nerdy! :eek:

And also, selection isn't based on your OCS class, it's based off of your grades in primary in relation to your peers. Also, the biggest factor in selection is what is available the week you select.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Sounds good. Just do your homework and don't forget how to do those integrals from calc 2 because you will need them in E&M, quantum, ODEs, PDEs, and mechanics. In fact, I think I had to do \int_{0}^{\infty}x^{n}e^{-kx} dx by hand on a quantum exam...

I mean, what? physics? That's nerdy! :eek:

And also, selection isn't based on your OCS class, it's based off of your grades in primary in relation to your peers. Also, the biggest factor in selection is what is available the week you select.

Good to know.

We just covered integration by parts in calc 2. Which is what you use to solve that problem.

So if you get approved for SNA... then you go to flight school (primary?) and how you do at that point determines how likely you are to get what you want?

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
With a GPA of 2.36 you would probably have to ace the ASTB to get looked at.

To play devil's advocate here, why should the board pick you over a guy with a high GPA who was at the library every night studying his ass off proving his ability to work hard and do well? Doesn't he deserve it more?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Good to know.

We just covered integration by parts in calc 2. Which is what you use to solve that problem.

So if you get approved for SNA... then you go to flight school (primary?) and how you do at that point determines how likely you are to get what you want?
1) There's actually an easier way to do a problem like that called undetermined coefficients, but integration by parts works just as well. (Actually you'd need to know what n is to use U.C., but you have to do it recursively anyway to get the answer for any value of n).

2) it goes OCS(for you) -> API -> Primary -> pipeline selection -> intermediate / advanced -> airframe selection -> wings -> RAG -> fleet

You can select maritime (P3s / P8s), E6s, Helos, or Tailhook (E-2, EA-6B, probably EA-18, F/A-18, C-2) for pipelines.

Also @ Captain Ron, you'd have to sell it as "I worked hard to overcome my prior poor performance and believe it shows my ability to overcome adversity and bounce back when things don't go as planned." Or something like that.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
With a GPA of 2.36 you would probably have to ace the ASTB to get looked at.

To play devil's advocate here, why should the board pick you over a guy with a high GPA who was at the library every night studying his ass off proving his ability to work hard and do well? Doesn't he deserve it more?

It's only 2.36 atm. I wouldn't apply (and can't since the minimum is 2.7) until I brought it up.

Why they should pick me over a guy with a higher GPA

While my GPA from my first years at college are sub-par, I have since worked very hard at bringing my grades up. I'm not the normal college student. I'm a husband, a father, and someone who desires to serve his country. With me, the Navy isn't going to have to wonder if all the training they give me is just going to end up somewhere in the private sector. The Navy for me is a lifestyle and a career as well as the single, most greatest occupation there is. My GPA may not be the greatest up on the boards, but I know that my drive, determination, and heart that I can give in service as a pilot pales all others by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.