• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The "right" reason to become an NFO

Johnny_Danger

I don't know. It's maddening how many different threads, how many different websites, how many different "OFFICIAL" publications there are out there that describe different age requirements. And it seems like no one can give a straight definitive answer.

I know for sure I need an age waiver for pilot and my recruiter already knows and has put in my application for one. As for NFO, well, if and when I decide to apply for that I guess I'll cross that age limit when I get to it...

I think my greatest fear about being an NFO is having to trust the pilot. If I'm getting shot at by SAMs or AAA or whatever, I want to be the one manuevering away from them and if I'm gonna die by slamming into the deck of a carrier, I want it to be in my own hands and not someone elses...

fccpopeye

Mods, correct me if I am wrong but max age for pilot is 27 and max age for NFO is 30 (taken from OPNAVINST 1420.1A 2MAY2003).

This instruction is for those currently enlisted Navy who apply for a commission, not for civilians. I am also guessing that since the age for NFO's went down from 29 to 27 not that long ago (for civilians) that the instruction may also be changed.

FCCS

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This instruction is for those currently enlisted Navy who apply for a commission, not for civilians. I am also guessing that since the age for NFO's went down from 29 to 27 not that long ago (for civilians) that the instruction may also be changed.

FCCS
I'm reasonably sure that the age req's are the same for off the street and prior service folks. The difference is that you can get a waiver for up to 48 months of active duty service.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know. It's maddening how many different threads, how many different websites, how many different "OFFICIAL" publications there are out there that describe different age requirements. And it seems like no one can give a straight definitive answer.

I know for sure I need an age waiver for pilot and my recruiter already knows and has put in my application for one. As for NFO, well, if and when I decide to apply for that I guess I'll cross that age limit when I get to it...

I think my greatest fear about being an NFO is having to trust the pilot. If I'm getting shot at by SAMs or AAA or whatever, I want to be the one manuevering away from them and if I'm gonna die by slamming into the deck of a carrier, I want it to be in my own hands and not someone elses...
Trust me, when you fly with a new nugget pilot, the NFO is oftentimes essentially controlling the aircraft. We call it voice actuated autopilot. I know lots of RAG instructors who have had to reach over and grab the stick on early FAMs.:D

Brett

Johnny_Danger

Brett327 said:
Trust me, when you fly with a new nugget pilot, the NFO is oftentimes essentially controlling the aircraft. We call it voice actuated autopilot. I know lots of RAG instructors who have had to reach over and grab the stick on early FAMs.:D

Brett

That's... sorta... comforting... :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm reasonably sure that the age req's are the same for off the street and prior service folks. The difference is that you can get a waiver for up to 48 months of active duty service.

Brett

Popeye was right. The age 30 limit is for active duty applicants getting orders to OCS from the fleet. 27 is the max for all coming in off the street. Brett is right about the waiver. Month for month of prior active service up to 48 months. That only takes you to 29 though.

haypiece

My recruiter is telling me 30. I am 27 and I will turn 28 in April 2006. So I need to be commissioned by April 2006? That kinda throws a wrench in things.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My recruiter is telling me 30. I am 27 and I will turn 28 in April 2006. So I need to be commissioned by April 2006? That kinda throws a wrench in things.
I am surprise your recruiter is saying 30. Are you even prior service? A month or so ago it was 27, as stated above. I was in the office just a few days ago and no one briefed me on any changes. I would have your recruiter be very sure about his info. If he is right it is good for you and I will eat crow for bad gouge. Tell us what you find out.