• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

the reality of OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgroove808

I just joined this forum because i am considering the Navy. It seems like most here have been through OCS or are on their way there. What I'd like to know is how tough is it really?...if it is designed to stress you mentally and physically to the point of overload, what happens when someone actually cracks? is it all downhill from there or do they pick you up and get you through it?...whats the drop out rate(if dropping out is even a reality)? And is live in the Navy after OCS anything like that time that sounds so much like hell?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
OK, OCS sucked. You'll have great stories, memories and friends. But while you are there it just sucks. The Marine DI's don't like you and are there to make sure you really want to be there. So, yes some people crack, (not many) and go home. The military is not for everyone. If you want it, then it is not a problem. If its just something that sounds cool, then look elsewhere. Its just head games and daily beatings. When you leave OCS you are in the real Navy. OCS is a fantasy world. At the training commands after OCS you think that its great. When you get to the real Navy after training, the fun really begins.

Dave

Dave Shutter

I knew I wasn't going to be throwing grenades and shooting machine guns guns like I did in boot camp but I was still amazed at how boring it was. There are a few fun things but 90% of it is classes, PT, drill and getting ready for your next test/inspection. If you secure you'll have fun on the weekends and you can bet there will be lots of funny moments throughout but for the most part it sucks. After a couple weeks you're literally on auto-pilot because of the routine. Put your shoulder to the wheel and it will be over before you know it.

demax182

CEC Officer from Class 15-03
OCS is designed to stress the hell out of you. But it depends on the type of person you are, if you're relaxed and don't worry about anything, you'll get out of it painless. If you worry a lot and stress out easily, you'll be in a whole world of hurt. I'm one of those people that worry just about everything so as you can imagine I didn't enjoy OCS one bit. In all, I would say OCS sucks 90% of the time and is fun about 10% of the time. It's guaranteed you'll have your funny moments however. It's funny, as much as I hated it, I do miss some parts of it.

basher

Hey was that Burt Reynolds on the canoe in the duel. We Florida State Alumni are everywhere! hehe. GO NOLES. Also go Virgina Tech and Oklahoma State for this weekend. Especially VT, I hate the canes.

jeric_k

Yeah, OCS sucks. But you have to look at it like this: it's a means to an end. OCS is a bridge to becoming an officer.

Personally, I just tried not to let it get to me. I basically put my body in auto-pilot and kept my thoughts a thousand miles away. The more you think about how much it sucks, the worse it seems. You stay pretty busy, and that makes the time pass more quickly than you think it will.

I'm not trying to sound like an arrogant prick, but I think it's one of those things that if you put your mind to it, you'll get through. I'm not saying that it doesn't suck. It sucks big time. But I think most OCS grads would agree with me that once it's said and done, it was definitely worth it. You'll forget the pain and agony (and eventually even laugh at it), but you hopefully won't forget the pride of having earned your gold bars.

version2point0

yeah. i hear your first salute from your di's on graduation is a feeling you cant describe. its total focus on the goal not the steps that will get you through

-v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.