• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

the possibility of being called during non-active duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaysee

OKay, I am not sure if I am the only one concerned about this....but what is the possibility, especially during today's world climate, about being called during non-active duty?

I am applying for Intel for the experience before more graduate or law school, but I really only want to serve for 4 years...does anyone know the possiblity of being called during non-active duty?

In your response, can you also please tell me how u got your information?

Thanks everyone...any info is greatly appreciated...

"The fearful is easy to endure..."

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The possibility is slim, but it is there.

You sign the contract, you sign on for the whole deal, especially as an officer.

How did I get my info? In 7 yrs I have yet to meet a Navy Intel Officer who was 'recalled', even now with OIF and OEF.

Relax.

eaw75

It happens. I've had at least three friends recalled into service, although two were SWO's and another a Crypie. Like zab1001 said, once you sign the dotted line you are in it for the long haul. If you have problem with that commitment, you might need to reconsider your decision.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I doubt that the SWOs you refer to were in the inactive reserve, IRR, which is where you go for the balance of your 8 year commitment. In the IRR there are no uniforms or drills. The Navy has not, as far as I know, called any IRR people of any stripe. If you are a SELRES (selected reservist, weekend warrior type) then yes you may get recalled. Even those guys are usually medical folks, some supply/combat store people, Seabees, and force protection people. The Navy does depend on the reserves to fill out Intel requirements. So far, the majority of reserve officers are on voluntary recalls. Short answer is it is possible. So far there is little to indicate that the Navy would involuntarily recall someone from the IRR. BTW, it take a Presidential Order to call the IRR. Even the Army guys that have been called are in critical specialities.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
They are pissed because there are not enough active duty people to do the job, and not enough active duty people in the correct MOS's. They are further pissed when they get called, handed 2nd rate weapons and no body armor (remember the Guard unit in Foley, Alabama who were welding steel onto their HMMMV's because they didn't have armor?). They get further upset when they go overseas and sit beside an active duty bubba who gets $3000 per month in per diem as well as a rental car and they get nothing (that was the Army...) Finally, the IRR people are especially upset because they get no benefits at all (officers transfer automatically to the IRR upon separation and many have no idea they are recallable - after all, they have served their contract.)

Clux4

Banned
Those Guard members should not even say a word. This folks get a kicker and extra $300 plus thier G.I Bill and then b!tch about their jobs when it is time for pay-back

46Driver

Many of the guard and reserve bubbas like reserve duty - I'm one of them - but when you are using these people just like active duty with constant deployments, many are not going to be happy about it. Its easy for you to sit back on active duty with a constant paycheck and a retirement to criticize but a number of these reservists have lost their jobs, lost their businesses, etc - a $282 per month reserve GI Bill doesn't make up for it....

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I feel bad for them too 46, but they knew what they were signing. I was in the reserves for about a year and everyone in my unit was full aware of the possibility of being called up. Remeber, we are still 100% volunteer.

eaw75

wink said:
I doubt that the SWOs you refer to were in the inactive reserve, IRR, which is where you go for the balance of your 8 year commitment. In the IRR there are no uniforms or drills. The Navy has not, as far as I know, called any IRR people of any stripe.

One of them was definitely in inactive reserve status. He received his commission via NROTC, served four years as a SWO and opted out. After Sept 11, he was recalled.

The other guy, I was wrong about. He went to the Merchant Marine Academy, then served his time on Merchant ships and opted out as well. He got a nice job. Around the same time as the other guy, he received a call from the DoD. He was placed in the Navy and into the SWO community.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To add to 46Drivers point, the way the Army NG and Reserves were restructered after Vietnam was not for this kind of open ended conflict. They were suppose to augment the Regular Army in the time of a large scale conventional war (like Red Storm Rising) and then return to normal life after that, just like Desert Storm. Only a very small handful complained in that conflict.

The way the Army NG and Reserves are used right now is to fill active duty jobs in an open ended fashion. Many Reserve and NG types have been called to active duty twice since 9/11 for long periods of time and there is no end in sight for them.

The main point is, if they are being employed as regular full time troops, shoudn't we replace them with regulars? What they should do is restructure the force with the new conflict in mind.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Flash said:
The main point is, if they are being employed as regular full time troops, shoudn't we replace them with regulars? What they should do is restructure the force with the new conflict in mind.

I think that is going to happen, regardless of who gets elected in November. Look for Congress to begin talks to increase the active duty size (at least in the Army) around the Jan/Feb timeframe when the new legislature is sworn in.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The realignment of the Reserves and Guard is already underway for all the reasons stated above. Until then, some guys will be put upon to go the extra mile. If you look at the percentages, the number of Reservists and Guardsman having to involuntarily deploy twice since 9/11 is very very small. Bad deal all the same, but not a total breakdown in the perstempo it is made out to be. The realignment of missions and MOSs will largely fix that. Remember, 9/11 changed everything and it happen overnight. Can't turn around DOD that fast. On another note. I don't recall the president authorizing involuntary IRR callups from the Navy. That is where those two SWOs mentioned above would have come from. Am I mistaken? I still can't believe that we needed to make an involuntary callup from the IRR for SWOs. Especially a guy with only Merchant Marine experience. I believe there is more to those stories.

Rainman

pilot
Flash said:
To add to 46Drivers point, the way the Army NG and Reserves were restructered after Vietnam was not for this kind of open ended conflict. They were suppose to augment the Regular Army in the time of a large scale conventional war (like Red Storm Rising)

Why do you say that? Aren't they called up when needed? Isnt' that what we're doing? I emphathize with the situation and hope to see it get restructured and worked out. . but where does it say "large scale conventional war" . .nobody said that. Hasn't it always been, "the needs of the President and DoD". . Our president and DoD have used those forces how they see fit. Unfortunatley that equates to some major strain for these folks.

46Driver

A large problem is fiscal. Reserves are cheaper. With the Pentagon spending 84 cents for retired pay for every dollar it spends on active duty pay, it wants to keep active duty troop numbers as low as possible and use the reserves. However, this is going to create a huge retention problem for the reserves in the near future. Most signed up to protect the nation in an emergency - not to go overseas on occupation duty because DoD refuses to increase the number of personnel. And remember, it is Kerry, not Bush, proposing to increase the size of the military. I remember a quote from the Marine Corps Reserve handbook that seems to fit, "The active duty does not realize the stress and strain of being a reservist." (Or something close to that effect.)

This photo sums up the feeling of many:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/bliraqoneweekendamonth.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.