• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Perpetual Prowler Tribute

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I meant on the A-6. I knew the Phantoms did it.
Pretty sure that it was tested. Never saw it in the fleet. But never say never. LOL

Just found the pic that I wanted to post earlier. Hook '91 invitation:
a6306157cf044c1da7d4ee655a029d94_zpsf8369d8e.jpg

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I'll correct myself here. VA-36 and 65 were 10 plane squadrons with all bombers vice 16.

That was a hell of an air wing back in the day. Made the first TR cruise with CVW-8 - I'll have to dig up some of those pics.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Just think - now we have 15 helicopters between the HSC and HSM squadrons. Makes me shed tears of joy.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Got a good deal Prowler ride yesterday. It was an interesting experience.

Definitely a different perspective.

Glad you got a little time in the old fighting drumstick. Would certainly give a Harrier guy a different perspective on crew coordination.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Glad you got a little time in the old fighting drumstick. Would certainly give a Harrier guy a different perspective on crew coordination.

I was surprised on how little there is available to ECMO 1. There's obviously a lot more going on during a jamming mission, but for just flying a low level there wasn't much to do. I jammed in the waypoints and kept sight of the plane in front of us. The dude in the back made the radio calls on the other radio and the pilot did the rest. I could've made all the radio calls on the primary freq, but there wasn't much of that going on anyway.

There's a lot more crew coordination going on in the C-12 during admin stuff. I would imagine the big contribution of the crew in a Prowler would be during a more complex mission.

The scariest part of the whole event was getting in and out of the damned thing. One false step and you are going to damned near kill yourself. I can't imagine doing that in the dark on a moving ship.

Definitely a great bunch of guys.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
The scariest part of the whole event was getting in and out of the damned thing. One false step and you are going to damned near kill yourself. I can't imagine doing that in the dark on a moving ship.

Definitely a great bunch of guys.
If you miss that first step out it's a long ways down, I've been there done that and have the shirt and wounds.
Glad you enjoyed the ride! :)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
If you miss that first step out it's a long ways down, I've been there done that and have the shirt and wounds.
Glad you enjoyed the ride! :)

True, but it's not just that first step. The rest of it is like a rock climbing wall. I thought it was difficult finding something to grab onto. Once you make it to the boarding ladder it's not too bad.

I thought the Harrier had a goofy boarding setup. At least it's not too far from the deck.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
The scariest part of the whole event was getting in and out of the damned thing. One false step and you are going to damned near kill yourself.
Or smash the bitchin's set of $400 Canon spin-stabilized binoculars that you bought with your gambling winnings from a recent ME phase if you drop them from that height. Not that I would know anything about that. (I'm looking at you, Pods....)