• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Perpetual Prowler Tribute

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
IIRC it is delineated in the back of the 3710 if anyone cares to see the source. Or maybe I am crazy

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IIRC it is delineated in the back of the 3710 if anyone cares to see the source. Or maybe I am crazy
The only thing I could find in the General NATOPS was this:
OPNAVINST 3710.7U Page C-2 said:
C.1.2 Aircraft Side Numbers

Aircraft side numbers are assigned by force, wing, group, or squadron
commanders, as appropriate. To achieve correlation between the electronic
(IFF/SIF) and visual identification of each aircraft, combat and combat
support aircraft shall be numbered using octal numbers (i.e., only the
numerals 0 through 7). CVW commanders shall assign squadron aircraft
identification side numbers. Squadrons and units of CNATRA shall number their
aircraft as directed by the Chief of Naval Air Training. Fleet replacement
squadrons with aircraft employing the automatic precision approach and landing
system (PALS) shall number their aircraft with three-digit octal numerals.
Activities and units other than those included above shall number their
aircraft by utilizing the last three digits of the bureau number.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
From what I saw, East coast HSL just had the following MODEXs that didn't jive with CAG numbering.. IIRC west had 7xx series
HSL 40 400-417
HSL-42 420-437
HSL-44 440-457
HSL-46 460-477
HSL-48 not sure.

Not sure when or why the HSL east squadrons did it different, but they just did.

-48, BTW, used 500-517. Why not 480-497? Best explanation I ever heard was because transponders don't have an 8 or a 9 (shrug).

Pugs

Back from the range
None
They didn't always start with 5XX. A long time ago, Prowlers used to be 8XX series, and now Prowlers and Growlers are 5XX series.

And back in the late 80's through mid 90's with the Super Airwing Prowlers were 620-624.

CVW-8 at the time was 2x16 plane A-6E squadrons with all bombers, 2x F/18A-C, 2x Tomcat, 5 E-2's, 5 Prowlers and 10 S-3's. We could move some ordnance.

If the Tomcats had been bomb carriers would have been something to see. Alas, they tried that at Fallon and it was deemed a bad idea after hwy 50 was bracketed with a pair of inert mk-82's . Um, let's see what happens after they update the software guys. :D

MasterBates

Sadly, now in terms of raw tonnage, it would take all 4 bug squadrons to drop what one of the A-6 squadrons could have.

Also, any whining the handler has now about Hummers.. Is invalid.

Had a handler crawl up my ass one day about how much deck space we needed for the hummer hi power turn. I was the CAG-7 SOOD. (Safety Officer Of the Day). Normally a hinge job, and I was wearing my flight deck gear and not flight gear, so he probably didn't know I was a LT.

I asked him what he would have done on the JFK in the 2004 cruise when we had Tomcats and S-3s. On a smaller deck.

Handler couldn't be silent, because I heard his blood pressure rising.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Sadly, now in terms of raw tonnage, it would take all 4 bug squadrons to drop what one of the A-6 squadrons could have.

That math doesn't sound right. Besides, it's not about raw tonnage anymore and hasn't been since Desert Storm.

Had a handler crawl up my ass one day about how much deck space we needed ..

You should see the clowns on the short busses. CV handlers and yellow shirts should get duty on a LHD as some kind of bonus/skate duty. They wouldn't know what to do with all their spare time/energy.

MasterBates

Yeah.. I know it's not about tonnage.. But I was also looking at the 'Realistic' loads I've seen the various -18s operate with.

Some day, we may just need lots of bombs and not a handful of smart ones. Can you imagine how effective an A-6G would be with modern weapons systems and it's load capacity?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Yeah.. I know it's not about tonnage.. But I was also looking at the 'Realistic' loads I've seen the various -18s operate with.

Some day, we may just need lots of bombs and not a handful of smart ones. Can you imagine how effective an A-6G would be with modern weapons systems and it's load capacity?

Digital ITERs and two drops.....

I think we'll see more of the same for quite awhile unless we end up invading Iran, NK, or China, which is (thankfully) very unlikely.

Time on station is more important than tonnage of bombs in practical terms.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Digital ITERs and two drops.....

I think we'll see more of the same for quite awhile unless we end up invading Iran, NK, or China, which is (thankfully) very unlikely.

Time on station is more important than tonnage of bombs in practical terms.

A-6F was the answer.

With the A-6E we could carry 22 MK-82's and a 400 gal centerline for 18.7 gas. Average fuel flow of 1.8k per a side. Figure I fly with 12 JDAM due to bring back, etc. Still go with the single centerline due to drag. Easy 3.0 hop and still come back to the boat with 6.0 for recovery.

With an Intruder, you get time on station and tonnage.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
A-6F was the answer.

With the A-6E we could carry 22 MK-82's and a 400 gal centerline for 18.7 gas. Average fuel flow of 1.8k per a side. Figure I fly with 12 JDAM due to bring back, etc. Still go with the single centerline due to drag. Easy 3.0 hop and still come back to the boat with 6.0 for recovery.

With an Intruder, you get time on station and tonnage.

Very true, and an awesome weapon system. My point was that you'd be better off in today's mission set with two additional drop tanks (maybe four? Not sure of plumbing/hard points) and even fewer JDAM. The odds of anybody dropping more than two JDAM on an average flight these days is extremely remote. It would be cool, though.

Down side for the A-6 is no gun for strafing. That probably comes in handier lately than extra bombs.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Down side for the A-6 is no gun for strafing. That probably comes in handier lately than extra bombs.

Well, we could always carry the MK4 20mm pod if we had too. Probably no worse than the F-35C pod. LOL.

Pic on one on a Phantom.
DW-650000-08.jpg