• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Neverending Callsign thread (Best/Worst/Funniest and where they came from)

brownshoe

Contributor
re Skeeterman
I wasn't watching that. Sure seems odd that someone as a poseur would have such detail that far back? I know it happens and wonder why?
Geez ...the old bastards like me are dropping dead at an alarming rate and its always fun to make a brief contact with someone from "back in the day..." But, it doesn't take long to ask a few questions to determine if they indeed do as they claim.
Semper Fi
Rocky
BTW there is a local resident (Pensacola) who flew with VMJ-1 back then - Lowell Truax. Not sure if he is still alive. Is in his 80's. Was one of the best I ever served with.

Rocky,

Ole Skeeterman posted all over the Internet in many forums with his BS, not just here. I for one think he might have been in the Navy, though the POW Network could find no record of his service. (Yep, his real name and address was found out.) He did seem to have a great deal of information though. Who knows? Maybe he’d been doing his posing so long, he had it down pat. I guess we’ll never know.

By the way, I see from your profile that you were a Marine back in the 50’s. My father was in the 6th Marine Division and served in the Pacific during WWII. You must have just joined when he was just getting out. He was a bit miffed when I became a Squid.:)

I’m glad to see you here on the site.:) Maybe the members will start picking on you instead of me. You’re older!:)

(Psst, Rocky, watch out for Mumbles and Flugelman. These two are the worst.:D)

Steve

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
One of my teachers at the Academy had the callsign Hambone until he was doing a flyby one day. He was going sub-sonic, but some of the airflow around the aircraft wasn't and he subsequently became known as Hamboom. Another teacher was an E-2C NFO and was called Shrek because he looked like him.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
One of my teachers at the Academy had the callsign Hambone until he was doing a flyby one day. He was going sub-sonic, but some of the airflow around the aircraft wasn't and he subsequently became known as Hamboom. Another teacher was an E-2C NFO and was called Shrek because he looked like him.

Sounds fishy to me. Not only is that a lame ass call sign (and story), but you don't get any real boom until 1.03

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Sounds fishy to me. Not only is that a lame ass call sign (and story), but you don't get any real boom until 1.03

1. That's how the story was relayed to me so I was just passing it along.

2. WTF is with your pic?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I never had to do the deuce on a P-3 HAL, but every lavatory honey pot in every P-3 in the USN I've ever seen has been sealed with plastic and ducktaped over with a big home made placard that says "do not use".... so I think the aircrew just started shitting in bags or the empty box lunches, (which probably made them have to shit in the first place). Maybe Picklesuit or Webmaster can chime in on this phenomena as well..

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Another couple:

1. A set of twins that came through here a few months back were called Mary-Kate & Ashley. I doubt either of the guys liked it...

Recently updated to include one being called LIMBS - Living In My Brothers Shadow.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None

Hambone is a great person to talk to at USNA about aviation.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
API last Christmas we had a guy that plowed his Mustang into the back of a parade float in Pensacola. The SR Marine at the API schoolhouse heard about it and had us put together a little certificate for the guy. We made up a nifty little powerpoint presentation with pictures of the accident and presented him with a patch with his callsign on it before pushing him on to Corpus.

Callsign: Floater

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thumbs.

The way it was relayed to me was that everyone was sitting around telling stories about stupid or embarassing things they had done and he pipes up with one that left everyone in shock. I am still not sure I believe it but the guy sure was creepy enough.

Gilligan.

German Navy guy was parasailing with a Norweigan AF guy and ended up drifting out to sea off of Perdido Key in the fall of '96. Was stuck out there overnight and a big search and rescue was launched the next day, a stud in the right seat of a T-1 found him. Their safety briefing/confession at the next safety standdown was one of the best comedy acts I have seen in long time.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gilligan.

German Navy guy was parasailing with a Norweigan AF guy and ended up drifting out to sea off of Perdido Key in the fall of '96. Was stuck out there overnight and a big search and rescue was launched the next day, a stud in the right seat of a T-1 found him. Their safety briefing/confession at the next safety standdown was one of the best comedy acts I have seen in long time.

I was in PCOLA when this happened....I remember them briefing it at all the safety stand downs. I didn't realize he got a callsign from it.

-ea6bflyr ;)

CJ21S

E-2 Bubba
pilot
Call Name Stories

I asked my dad who flew helos in the 70's about his call name. His was kind of unoriginal, being called red because of him being a redhead. The best call name he remembered was that of Raven. Sure it was not totally PC because it was for the only African American in his squadron but remembered none the least!