• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The need for speed (and other wizardry)

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
WTF are you talking about dude? The #1 UAE has been fielding Block 60 F-16s with phased-array radars for years. #2 It's far easier to upgrade existing model aircraft than to design a new one from scratch... look at Super Hornets getting re-modded with AESA, aft JHMCS, and ludicrous software upgrades as we speak while the F(not A)-22 is still trying to figure out how to get on the ramp.

WTF are YOU talking about?
You're quite correct, the UAE has taken delivery of its Block 60's, but they've been in service for less than 4 years. Unfortunately, we are discussing the USAF here. A new U.S. order would be stowed in line behind LM's current order backlog to 2011. Even after construction it would take a few more years to field them. The F-16E won't be so hot in 2015.
#2 Yeah but yeah. It's also really difficult to upgrade a 30 year-old type that has reached the absolute maximum potential of the design, which is the case with the Block 60. There was simply no more room internally to fit more stuff in... which is basically why they have to start packing on external compartments like the dorsal avionics bay. The Super Hornet is a very poor comparison, as it is basically a completely new design with the designator left intact for Congress' sake. New aircraft generally have a lot of room left inside for preplanned avionics expansion with a corresponding increase in capability.

I wouldn't call the F-22 out on fielding. It was declared FOC over a year ago.

I wonder if the the RCS-ed rhombus-shaped intakes of the Rhino increase drag over the C/D. It's outrageous that the -G is saddled with the toed pylons. It won't even be releasing munitions from the inner pylons!

heyjoe, which thread was my original post moved from?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
WTF are YOU talking about?
You're quite correct, the UAE has taken delivery of its Block 60's, but they've been in service for less than 4 years. Unfortunately, we are discussing the USAF here. A new U.S. order would be stowed in line behind LM's current order backlog to 2011. Even after construction it would take a few more years to field them. The F-16E won't be so hot in 2015.
#2 Yeah but yeah. It's also really difficult to upgrade a 30 year-old type that has reached the absolute maximum potential of the design, which is the case with the Block 60. There was simply no more room internally to fit more stuff in... which is basically why they have to start packing on external compartments like the dorsal avionics bay. The Super Hornet is a very poor comparison, as it is basically a completely new design with the designator left intact for Congress' sake. New aircraft generally have a lot of room left inside for preplanned avionics expansion with a corresponding increase in capability.

I wouldn't call the F-22 out on fielding. It was declared FOC over a year ago.

I wonder if the the RCS-ed rhombus-shaped intakes of the Rhino increase drag over the C/D. It's outrageous that the -G is saddled with the toed pylons. It won't even be releasing munitions from the inner pylons!

heyjoe, which thread was my original post moved from?

My question is why do we have a wannabe, namely Junkball, talking like he knows what he is talking about? Let the actual Naval Aviators, specifically those who either drive or drove fighters, deal with this. A warning, stay out of it or you'll take a seat.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Nope, didn't say that at all. Just commented on why it’s that way. Speed performance is relative anyway and you need to define whether you’re concerned about top end, acceleration or whatever. If most of your tasking is to hang on the blades and as a weapons platform on call, persistence is likely more important than speed. Regardless, unless some other country like Kuwait is willing to pay for enhanced performance (like they did for A-4 and F/A-18C), you’re stuck with the motors you’ve got.

IMO, overall top end speed is overrated in majority of missions. Air Force is enamored with super cruise, which has a narrow application (again, IMO), but suits their Air Superiority mindset.

As we rolled into the 60s, the leading manufacturers were all chasing Mach 2 performance with considerable penalty (or trade options) to achieve what wasn’t used operationally. Tomcat lugged around a complicated series of inlet ramps and a variable geometry wing for a design speed of Mach 2.4 that only made sense for a dash speed for a Deck Launched Interceptor (DLI) role (never used).

Check your signposts. We can’t help you there! ;)

All true statements, save for that Flanker/F-10 threat everyone is talking more and more about. Although I'll feel better if someone tells me the Mach 2+ capability that's advertised is as realistic as the 1.8 advertised for the Hornet.

Junkball

pilot
My question is why do we have a wannabe, namely Junkball, talking like he knows what he is talking about? Let the actual Naval Aviators, specifically those who either drive or drove fighters, deal with this. A warning, stay out of it or you'll take a seat.

"Wannabe"... that's fair enough, but I think I've done my HW. I don't really understand why you're warning me, considering I'm the OP of the split thread. Please point out where I'm wrong in my post and contribute something to the discussion.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
"Wannabe"... that's fair enough, but I think I've done my HW. I don't really understand why you're warning me, considering I'm the OP of the split thread. Please point out where I'm wrong in my post and contribute something to the discussion.

Talking about capabilities of aircraft, especially when it comes from reading, and you talk as if you know what you are talking about because you've done your "home work". Heyjoe flew in Tomcats, Single Seat is a Hornet driver and not only have done their homework but have been there, done that. Leave it to the experts to tell someone else to STFU. Learn how to post. Got it??

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Talking about capabilities of aircraft, especially when it comes from reading, and you talk as if you know what you are talking about because you've done your "home work". Heyjoe flew in Tomcats, Single Seat is a Hornet driver and not only have done their homework but have been there, done that. Leave it to the experts to tell someone else to STFU. Learn how to post. Got it??

Junkball... Shut the fuck up. You don't know what you're talking about and to explain it would require comprehension, experience, and a security clearance, none of which you have. Quit arguing with the guy.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Junkball... Shut the fuck up. You don't know what you're talking about and to explain it would require comprehension, experience, and a security clearance, none of which you have. Quit arguing with the guy.

LOL, or you could say it that way :D

Junkball

pilot
Well, if someone asks me a direct question as in the 2nd post, I'm damn well going to answer him. For now though, foot's going in the mouth because as Bunk asks
I "GOT IT."
Thread title should be 'Junk gets ass handed to him'