• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The NAMI Whammy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've found out I'm more or less cleared for SNA after getting a civilian physical(20/10 vision-kickass).
However, I now know I have a small heart condition(mitral regurgitation). Should I tell NAMI about this? THEY say it's ok on their site as long as it's mild(my cardiologist barely found it-invisible on EKG, only after he did a sonogram test he noticed it), but from all the horror stories regarding NAMI, I'm wondering if i shud just keep my mouth shut. Will they ask if i have any known problems, or will they just give me the exam no questions asked?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Guess I'm catching you right after you're writing these...

Let me try and answer your question w/ a broader, bigger question: Regardless if you tell them or not, are you prepared to be a SWO, or Intel, or fill in the blank that's NOT a winged aviator? No one can tell you whether to put it on a piece of paper or not, but let's say they do find it on your physical you've taken at P'cola (or Vance...shudder). They determine that it's not minor, nor is it waiverable, so you are attrited because you're NPQ. Are you ready for that?

From what I've read from another thread by you, you're not even in college yet, so fortuneately, it's not this drastic yet. Not sure based on your posts, but have you had a DODMERB physical? Have they noticed it? And once you are in a commissioning program, you have at least one major physical (usually your junior year for NROTC), so they may catch it then. The point is, there's still time for it to be "caught," which can be bad (NPQ) or good (hey, it's waiveralbe!).

Okay, enough of that...if it were me? What heart condition. But then I'm horribly bitter when it comes to NOMI/NAMI/whatever they callthemselves this year.
icon_smile_wink.gif

gatordev...
Don't worry. I know it's officer first, aviator second. Sure, I'll be disappointed if I get NPQd, as this is my number one choice, but I'm willing to put in for other slots too(SWO, SEALs, subs). Unfortunately, if it turns out to be that serious, then I'll probably get dumped into something like intel/logistics, right? That WOULD piss me off.
I haven't had a DODMERB physical yet, but I have had numerous physicals for school sports. After I got free insurance(NY state has a program for low-income families) I went and checked up a bunch of things including cardio.
So I guess I'll keep my mouth shut. I was just worried from some of the NAMI horror stories about doctors being asses, incorrect diagnoses, and people not giving the waiver even though the regulations say so. In other words, getting dropped from the program because they have too many damn SNA candidates one year and if they screw one over what the hell.
And thanks for the advice on the other thread.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I have to agree with Gatordev.

What!!! There is something worng with my heart?!!!

I believe in the don't ask dont tell policy.

Dave

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
yeah, I'd go in and play innocent...better to let them think they enlightened you to your condition than make them think you tried to hide it from them

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, I didn't exactly mean to put the "officer first" argument out there. I know EODDave had issues w/ the argument, and I have shades of agreement. That said, once you're in that spot I mentioned, just be ready to deal w/ it. However, like I said, there's plenty more opportunities for the "condition" (whatever it might be) to a) disappear, b)get missed, or c) still be there but it's not a problem.

I knew a couple of guys (and I think I might have had it happen once before on some flight physical) where something showed up on the EKG, but it was run again, and it turns out the E-2 running the thing just goofed. Oops.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Issues, I've got issues?
banghead_125.gif

Ok, I see how you are. The gloves are off. Game on! No more Mr. Nice guy.
gnasher_125.gif
It's flying or bust. Keep me in a plane or kick me to the curb. I am not shoe
pirate_125.gif
material. There!
mean_125.gif
I admit it. Are you happy? Sob..
weeping_125.gif
Sob..

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.