• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Monster COD thread (homage to the C-2A Greyhound)

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Is there any plan to update the COD airframes or get you guys some new aircraft? It's not like your mission is going away anytime soon.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
The C-2's are all going through Critical Service Life Extension Program which well let them stay in service until 2027.

From Wikipedia: C-2A(R) Greyhound
The SLEP includes a structural enhancement of the center wing, significant navigational upgrades including the addition of GPS and the dual CAINS II Navigation System, the addition of crash survivable flight incident recorders, and a Ground Proximity Warning System. The first upgraded C-2A(R) left NAVAIR Depot North Island on September 12, 2005, after sitting on the ground for three and a half years while the SLEP was developed and installed. A second airframe is currently nearing completion and it is anticipated that the remaining 34 aircraft will all undergo the SLEP upgrade within the next five years as operations and schedule permit.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The C-2's are all going through Critical Service Life Extension Program which well let them stay in service until 2027.

From Wikipedia: C-2A(R) Greyhound

It's the equilvalent of polishing a turd. I'm glad I'm done with that airframe. I think at some point, one is going to go down due to aircraft issues and only at that time, will something be done to replace the aircraft......the SLEP planes are going to take quite some time before all C-2's are complete.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Ok Bunk, we know your out of the community but don't forget the good times. The RAG, VT-4 in the good old days and dealing with that Skipper who thought flying at night was a great idea:) Sucker!

Back in the late 90s we did paradrops and CRRC often while home. I dropped three different services and the SEALS loved us for what we could provide. Nothing like climbing to 15K in about 5 minutes. The used to call us the elevator, especially compared to the small single engine aircraft that they would contract for training. Even though the C-130 is the preferred method for dropping them they didn't like dealing with the Air Force SpecOp bubbas. To many rules, trust me I know that now since I switched to the dark side.

Besides, theres nothing like doing an emergency descent after dropping your "cargo" and watching them land near the runway while you carefully count who is all there. Man I miss some of the missions we used to do.

I had heard rumors that they had brought back training for paradrops. IMO it could be a valuable option for a mission from the Carrier. However, with today's money issues in all the services and no replacement in sight it will loose it's support. Thank goodness for the GOOD OLD DAYS, right Bunk

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Ok Bunk, we know your out of the community but don't forget the good times. The RAG, VT-4 in the good old days and dealing with that Skipper who thought flying at night was a great idea:) Sucker!

Back in the late 90s we did paradrops and CRRC often while home. I dropped three different services and the SEALS loved us for what we could provide. Nothing like climbing to 15K in about 5 minutes. The used to call us the elevator, especially compared to the small single engine aircraft that they would contract for training. Even though the C-130 is the preferred method for dropping them they didn't like dealing with the Air Force SpecOp bubbas. To many rules, trust me I know that now since I switched to the dark side.

Besides, theres nothing like doing an emergency descent after dropping your "cargo" and watching them land near the runway while you carefully count who is all there. Man I miss some of the missions we used to do.

I had heard rumors that they had brought back training for paradrops. IMO it could be a valuable option for a mission from the Carrier. However, with today's money issues in all the services and no replacement in sight it will loose it's support. Thank goodness for the GOOD OLD DAYS, right Bunk

You know, I'm back in P-cola and certainly remember VT-4 (back when it was E2/C2 pilot training only)........then the RAG as well. I would certainly call them the good ole days. Give me a call.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
After 9 years in the community you still haven't learned how to write about our C2/E2 pipeline. I give up on you old bald buddy.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
After 9 years in the community you still haven't learned how to write about our C2/E2 pipeline. I give up on you old bald buddy.

I think you've just forgot what it's like and like you said, 9 years (more like just over 8) in the community. Though you know the two squadrons were night and day in how we operated and conducted business. It's probably more similar now.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's the equilvalent of polishing a turd. I'm glad I'm done with that airframe. I think at some point, one is going to go down due to aircraft issues and only at that time, will something be done to replace the aircraft......the SLEP planes are going to take quite some time before all C-2's are complete.

I have heard rumblings of using the V-22, any more to that than just background noise?

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
I posted my comments on the other thread. It rumbled back when I was flying in the late 90s. I just can't imagine why they would, so far what I've read it would be a loss in logistical capabilities but I'm no expert on the V-22.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I posted my comments on the other thread. It rumbled back when I was flying in the late 90s. I just can't imagine why they would, so far what I've read it would be a loss in logistical capabilities but I'm no expert on the V-22.

I just read the other thread, did not know it was talked about there.......:D

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
http://www.navair.navy.mil/v22/?fuseaction=aircraft.main

Looks like it is a very capable aircraft. Just depends on how easy it is to change the configuration while deployed. How long does it take to download, upload the aircraft on the deck. How would the Boss and Handler like dealing with an aircraft that doesn't land or launch with the rest of the airwing. Many questions that I'm sure some Stars will be looking at in the future.

Heck, might even give Bunk an opportunity to shine in the future with trying to replace the relic of a COD. Wait a minute, don't shine that turd too much, right? Maybe that's what our buddy in Pax is working on for the future of the community huh.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
http://www.navair.navy.mil/v22/?fuseaction=aircraft.main

Looks like it is a very capable aircraft. Just depends on how easy it is to change the configuration while deployed. How long does it take to download, upload the aircraft on the deck. How would the Boss and Handler like dealing with an aircraft that doesn't land or launch with the rest of the airwing. Many questions that I'm sure some Stars will be looking at in the future.

Heck, might even give Bunk an opportunity to shine in the future with trying to replace the relic of a COD. Wait a minute, don't shine that turd too much, right? Maybe that's what our buddy in Pax is working on for the future of the community huh.

Like you, I'm done forever in the COD community. I just recently went inside a V-22 and was it small, smaller than a C-2. The large brochure out front claimed it could carry up to 16000lbs of cargo. Looks to me like it would cube out before it ever got to 16k.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
As usual, on paper something looks and sounds good. I just hope the Log guys are in on the decision board so they can emphasis what exactly that would mean to the Boat when you can't carry as many packages to and from.

Our time has passed I guess old buddy.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is no VH-22. However, the original plan for V-22 procurement inluded 48 HV-22 variants for VOD mission, but there is currently no funding through FY13 programmed for a Navy variant. Today and for the forseeable future, there is a MV-22 Osprey flown by the Marine Corps and a CV-22 variant flown by USAF SPECOPS. Recommend you reconsider your username and service selection if you want to fly the V-22. Here is latest CRS report on V-22 in which you'll see that the QDR recommended profile comprises 360 MV-22s, 50 CV-22s; and 48 HV-22s. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see which variant will be most numerous and thereby represent your best chance to fly the Osprey.