• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Monster COD thread (homage to the C-2A Greyhound)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
A salute to our (USS MIDWAY's) C-1A "SchoolBoy 700", aka 'Easy Way Airlines'! :cool:
View attachment 11174View attachment 11175View attachment 11176
BzB[/quote]

The C-1 was fine if you absolutely were not in a hurry or so tired that you slept the entire flight. If you were in a hurry, and the a/c was fighting headwinds, it was the longest, most interminable flight of your life.

Dumb Q du jour: Did the Navy ever try to develop, or consider developing, a tanker version of the C-2A? Since the A-3, we've never had a tanker w/ much gas to give.

MasterBates

I proposed a KE-2C (more trap life left in airframe, more powerful engines, faster at same GW) with the NFO stuff gutted and drogues installed.

Pretty sure the Navy's interest has been somewhere between Jack and Shit, because the SupaBug can do everything.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When the Company was building CODs, you didn't need a tanker version because there was plenty of organic give in the Air Wing already. Could you do it now? Yeah, but it'd require restarting the C-2 line, and that'd be damned expensive.

There is discussion of a KE-2. Doubt it'll come to fruition.

Boeing's got a roll-on tanker package for the V-22, I imagine for AFSOC and the Israelis, so there's a possible solution if we go that route for the COD replacement. And supposedly the perennial KS-3 resurrection proposal's making some headway this year.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The C-1 was fine if you absolutely were not in a hurry or so tired that you slept the entire flight. If you were in a hurry, and the a/c was fighting headwinds, it was the longest, most interminable flight of your life.

Can't argue with that, it was an aircraft from an earlier era, BUT...'til the 'Gargantuan Greyhound' came along, it's all we had, and however slooow...it got the job done.:cool:

As the "Codfather" (my collateral duty) on USS MIDWAY, as Ship'sCo when underway, I got off the ship 2-3 days a week, and got to fly into/RON in some pretty exotic spots in the far east including HK, TSN, NKP, Taipai, Manila ..et al.. In the days before internet/e-mail...mail was the prime communication between the crew & loved ones at home. Carrying parts & personnel on/off the ship was of great logistic importance... however, when "COD coming aboard" was announced over the 1MC, it got everyone's attention...MAIL!:)
Midway COD.jpg
BzB

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wasn't it always the mail that got blown overboard when some jet taxied by for re-spot?;)

Happened on occasion...but very rare.

Typical load report to 'Da Boss' prior to approach: "Schoolboy, 7 double nuts load report, 5- souls aboard, 7oo# mail, 450# parts/cargo, 100 Stars & Stripes, and 16 boxes of Grandma's crushed cookies, over"! :eek:
C1A Engine.jpg
*Pilot's port window view..."It's still turnin'"! :)
BzB

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Typical load report to 'Da Boss' prior to approach: "Schoolboy, 7 double nuts load report, 5- souls aboard, 7oo# mail, 450# parts/cargo, 100 Stars & Stripes, and 16 boxes of Grandma's crushed cookies, over"! :eek:
View attachment 11189
BzB

What? No booze?

Renegade One

None

View attachment 11189
BzB
But what we always heard on the 1MC was "700 pounds of Pony". [N.B.: Pony was shorthand for "Pony Express", for the younger crowd, perhaps...]

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But what we always heard on the 1MC was "700 pounds of Pony". [N.B.: Pony was shorthand for "Pony Express", for the younger crowd, perhaps...]

Yea, comparing the Greyhound to the Trader... is like jet-speed delivered ZIP mail/packages, to the Pony Express... C-2As are AWESOME!:)
BzB

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it ridiculous that we're still flying the A model C-2? Yes, I know there have been upgrades to avionics, props, more avionics, more props, etc. Who would have thought back in the early 1960s that the original (more or less) design would be flying in 2012?

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Is it ridiculous that we're still flying the A model C-2? Yes, I know there have been upgrades to avionics, props, more avionics, more props, etc. Who would have thought back in the early 1960s that the original (more or less) design would be flying in 2012?

Does seem like the Greyhound was put out there and then kinda forgotten about - except for the few upgrades... Although I guess it is also is a compliment in that it does the job day in and day out and doesn't need the attention.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I had my first COD ride last weekend, and it was one of the scarier moments of my life. Was well aft of the windows, and the 1960's lighting combined with the smoke machine (ECS?) made for a very haunted house "this is the place you will die" kind of ambience. Every time they turned I thought we were in the break, and the thing sounds like an angry poorly maintained vacuum cleaner in the groove. Not complaining, as it beats walking onto the boat, but I was very happy to get out of the tube. I'm sure the COD guys make enough money and enjoy their hotels enough that they won't take offense at my commentary :)

MasterBates

Now turn your seat to face forward, add in being able to hear the radio/pilots talking, and you have the E-2 NFO experience.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
First trap was a COD trap. Couldn't tell we'd taken off for like twenty minutes. Lighting was shit. Realized the sets reclined in the groove. Spent about 45 minutes with a 10-30 det forward seat, cursing the designers.