• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Millennials are coming, the Millennials are coming!

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I'm just about to get my care package drive up and going next month and the most commonly asked question from people my age is "why?" and "come on, what's your motive?" What if I have none and I care about the troops?

That's appalling. I mean, we all knew kids who did stuff just to get into school, but to assume ulterior motive off the bat like that is pretty sad.

BackOrdered

Contributor
That's appalling. I mean, we all knew kids who did stuff just to get into school, but to assume ulterior motive off the bat like that is pretty sad.

Funny thing is it was during a related graded oral persentation about project management and scope. I had to actually take a few minutes to justify my sporatic and unusual actions in the middle of the speech. Afterwards me, another student, and the professor had a back and forth with the other students about the hot button issue of helping others without personal gain. Apparently the other students argued we do these things to enhance our self-perception, hence an alterior selfish motive. My community service is already maxed, I was tapped for honors society long after I committed to the project and wasn't selected, I'm a senior, and despite I've done all the actual real work for the drive so far, I'm an unknown quantity an I'm a little insistance about it. I have nothing to gain.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Apparently the other students argued we do these things to enhance our self-perception, hence an alterior selfish motive.

Well, I suppose I have to agree with him/her if you drag the argument out to it's far-off logical conclusion. But on a daily basis, I still think there's a difference between doing something because it's a good thing to do and doing it because you think you will get something out of it.

Lawman

None
Positive Reinforcement only is Bullshit. People who suck need to know they suck. And it is your duty to tell them they suck, and often. Otherwise they will never have any motivation to stop sucking.

If people need to see proof that negative motivation is a succesful if ego bruising way to accomplish goals and create maturity they need only look at basic training. I think I heard it best put from my OSO, "Remember, there will never be a good job uttered at OCS."

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I see this kind of shit all day long at my job. Currently work at a college in the financial aid/admissions/registration department.

No personal accountability. They have the sense of entitlement without any action to support it. Every day I think, "You're in college now, take responsibility for yourself." It's amazing the kind requests we get.

Then, every time I start to wonder why, I get a phone call/visit from a parent, trying to do stuff for their offspring, catering to their every whim and fulfilling the students' responsibilities for them.

How much you want to bet they all got trophies for "trying" as kids?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
When I have children, I think I'll snap any trophies for trying in half. Or maybe I'll melt them.

I blame this on three things:
1. Parents who don't want to accept responsibility for sucking at parenting.
2. No G.I. Joe on tv.
3. McDonalds.

If I have time, I'll come back to ellaborate, but shit's all screwy here at work.

IRfly

None
Nothing, for an adult that eats it once a month. Growing kids should not eat McDonald's, that's lazy parenting.

So you NEVER take your kids to McDonald's?:rolleyes:

Aside from being hysterically alarmist, this article fails to mention probably the most important change in the labor market--that for employees, it's actually becoming a market. Gone (more or less) are the days of ironclad non-disclosure agreements and people being shuffled around like pawns by big corporations. Now companies actually have to compete for people because of websites like Vault and Wetfeet, where you can see exactly what everyone else is paying. And hey, nobody would pony up the money and the benefits if they employees weren't worth every cent, right? I mean, we all like markets, right?