• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Millennials are coming, the Millennials are coming!

H20man

Drill baby drill!
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/08/60minutes/main3475200.shtml?source=mostpop_story

A few months old, but still an interesting read, came across it after an underclassmen mentioned it to me.

I find it ridiculous people believe they need to have their work scheduled around their day, the example of the yoga class is just hilarious.

Although I am in this generation, I really see a lot more of this in people younger than my peer group. Especially in a lot of underclassmen and especially our plebe class. These plebes are just doing things that I would never have thought of doing when I was a plebe.

When I did my HS visit over Thanksgiving break, the attitude of a lot of these kids was just ridiculous... I was asked if I was wearing a costume.....
Talking to one of my former teachers, when she first transfered to the HS nine years ago she thought the level of respect was bad then, now she just wishes for those days.

I am sure I do exhibit some of these traits in the article, but the way I was raised and the environment I am in now, I just don't see this.

Being sent out to sea was truely a great learning experience, being essential to the crew of a minimal manned merchant ship, if I wasn't doing my job, my ass was grass. This was especially true on my last ship, where the Chief Mate had me doing his job side by side.

This will definitly be interesting to see as it pans out further... and remember... blame Mister Rogers.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is this any surprise? Look at their parents. Look at society. We accept this.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
They have climbed Mount Everest. They've been down to Machu Picchu to help excavate it.
Really? Really now? Macchu Picchu? As part of an archaeological expedition? Alright... Hey Jim, get the man his latte... :rolleyes:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No personal responsibility, and an entitlement mentality has permeated our culture.

Next thing you know they will want to show up to OCS and flight school sporting tattoos up and down their arms and wondering why a few old fogies look a little askance at them. Seriously, it is not their problem....it's ours!! ;)

joshmf

I definitly saw this attitude in college, but I currently work for a large bank and this type of attitude would not fly at all. I wouldn't say myself or any of the other 20 somethings I work with think or act like this, so I don't know if it's as pervasive as the article makes it sound.

The only company they cited was an online shoe store, which sounds like one the new, e- economy companies like Google that don't really represent the majority of American workplaces. This sounds more like the theory of a few people who talked to their friends. :sleep_125

That being said, we do need to be a bit more competitve before we all work for the Tata Group. :eek:

red_ryder

None
Next thing you know they will want to show up to OCS and flight school sporting tattoos up and down their arms and wondering why a few old fogies look a little askance at them. Seriously, it is not their problem....it's ours!! ;)

Everyone knows it's fogeys' jobs to look at us askance! :p

This was a very interesting read. I can definitely tell I was raised this way, although I think they're really exaggerating about most of it. Yeah, maybe if you worked at Google it would be like that.

Personally, I've been fighting this programming in myself ever since I realized I was like that. Our parents have definitely been putting it in our heads for years that we're all unique snowflakes and we can do whatever we want.

If you think that's bad, just wait and see the generation that's on deck behind us. Both me and my buddy have got little cousins who are such divas, and treated like princesses. It's gonna get a lot worse. Hopefully we can balance out that programming in time to show the younger ones what's up.

Eventually you learn that experience is priceless, so I think the older guys can expect some respect once we figure things out. It took awhile to figure out that you don't have to take tough love personally, just dust off and do it better next time.

I do however agree that the new workforce is every man for himself. Or herself. Job stability is going out the window these days, and the military is one of the last institutions to give pensions to its workers. If companies aren't going to be taking care of us when we retire, we need to start making plans for ourselves, and the earlier the better.

Just my 2.

Mattatron

Now with extra pork!
pilot
These companies are all over Colorado, run by hippies, staffed by yuppies and never meeting a single deadline or quota. Yes I would love to bring my dog to work, wear Birkenstock's everyday,have a kegger in the office every Friday and take advantage of the no-drug-test policy, but I have far too much self-respect. Ya know if we were allowed to beat our children this wouldn't be so much of an issue. Cut the $hit and discipline your children, make them mow the lawn before they can eat supper and just maybe we might be OK 20 years from now.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
In the spirit of Millennials, I say everyone who posts in this thread should get pos. rep.:D....and a hug.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
If they are productive, they are productive, if they aren't, they aren't.

Either way, there's money to be made. Stop whining and start consulting, already!

consulting.jpg

Like global warming, if this stuff is REALLY as bad as They say it is, it's already too late to DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!

BackOrdered

Contributor
No personal responsibility, and an entitlement mentality has permeated our culture.

So true. So many people I know my age just sit around and wait for "a life" to happen for them. Meanwhile, I'm considered a heretic, getting lectures and 4th degrees about spending too much time in the campus library and not enough at a kegger. I'm just about to get my care package drive up and going next month and the most commonly asked question from people my age is "why?" and "come on, what's your motive?" What if I have none and I care about the troops?

OldNavy

I supervise several "millennials" in my unit (Local S. O. )

They're not happy unless you're blowing sunshine up their ass on a daily basis.

My age group figures that as long as we're not getting yelled at, we're doing a good job.