• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Man Who Rode the Thunder

C-40CC

TRASH HAULER FOR LIFE!
Ballzy

050316-F-1234P-021.jpg
THAT RED POUCH OUT BACK MUST CARRY HIS BALLS! I CAN'T IMAGINE STEPPING OUT OF ANY PERFECTLY GOOD A/C LET ALONE RIDING A BALLOON TO 102K AND TAKING A SWAN DIVE.

East

东部
Contributor
I recently saw a former F-15E pilot that holds the record for ejection speed speak for a confrence. Let's just say he got a little messed up when he ejected supersonic pointing at the ocean. Great guy overall and great story. I think his name was Brian Udell.

Saw the lecture as well. The guy broke to legs, one arm, twisted the other and popped an eyeball on ejection. He surived, but only because there is such a great thing called SAR.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
I recently saw a former F-15E pilot that holds the record for ejection speed speak for a confrence. Let's just say he got a little messed up when he ejected supersonic pointing at the ocean. Great guy overall and great story. I think his name was Brian Udell.

I recently read an article about him. Sadly, his weapons officer did not survive.

nugget81

pilot
Yeah, Brian Udell has an amazing story to tell. He holds the record for the highest speed ejection (supersonic). Doctors told him that he wouldn't walk again, let alone fly. Less than a year later he was back in the F-15. Now he flies for Southwest.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, Brian Udell has an amazing story to tell. He holds the record for the highest speed ejection (supersonic). Doctors told him that he wouldn't walk again, let alone fly. Less than a year later he was back in the F-15. Now he flies for Southwest.

I know the Soviets have had some supersonic ejections as well and I've heard their seats were more geared towards the high speed side of the envelope. It would be interesting to see some data on their experience.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know the Soviets have had some supersonic ejections as well and I've heard their seats were more geared towards the high speed side of the envelope. It would be interesting to see some data on their experience.

Brett

I was told the seat in the MiG-29 is the best seat in the world. Not sure how accurate that statement is.

Lawman

None

Brett

The Russian built K36D is the highly toated supersonic survivable seat that your thinking of. Its much heavier then the ACES II seats however and use some extra features (like a deployable air damn infront of the pilot.)

Right now the US16E seat that is going into the F-35 is supposed to use a lot of the data from a program in the 90's that studied the K36D.

So far the US has two survived supersonic ejections being Brian Udell and Jon Counsell.

Whole lot more to be had at this site: http://www.ejectionsite.com/