• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Hurt Locker

lmnop

Like the movie TOP GUN, the Hollywoodization of any subject takes a lot of liberties with the real deal to appeal to a general audience, but if it gets you (those in the community) respect or interest, then it meets the director/producers' objective.

Absolutely. But just as you guys aren't all volleyball playing homos, we aren't all PTSD addled cowboys...that was the part that kind of cracked me up. But, it's entertainment, not a documentary. Most of our lives really aren't that entertaining and would make for a really boring movie. I am curious to see if the movie will have any effect on recruiting.

Honestly EOD is one of those things like interrogations and other things Id rather the bad guys not be able to watch a movie and figure out how we do it.

Concur. Any bitches I might have about accuracy have nothing to do with the specifics of how we do things when out on a call.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Say What???

Of course the fact that the hot babe was hanging all over a fighter guy was a dead giveaway the movie was pure fiction, because in reality, the good looking chicks always trolled through the Medium Attack community looking to score a Bombardier / Navigator...

Oh come on A-6, how quickly you forget... that while the A-6 drivers were training in the dark with their fancy "state of the art" night/all wx bombers, we us'n (day only) Skyhawk Drivers were keeping the local ho(r)nies amused er, occupied.
I guess I shouldn't direct this to you, as the early Intruder guys were probably in your Grandpa's age group!
BTW, I love my Intruder Buds, I was bagged trying to rescue two of them. We only batted .500 on that one, unfortunately.:confused:
BzB

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This movie is currently showing up here in Seattle. I've read good reviews, but has anyone actually seen this movie?

If so, worth the ticket price and air conditioning or get it on Netflix?

Have not seen it /// but it's produced, written, & directed by the usual suspects -- and what do I mean by that?? I mean that I love it when people w/ no 'real' experience write and pontificate about the 'souls of soldiers' ... and what it's like to 'face the elephant'.

Especially as they'll never know ... since when it was 'their time' they chose not to serve for a variety of personal reasons. I'll wait for the DVD ...

All things being equal (and when does THAT ever happen???) ... Give me a Joe Galloway any day, baby.

But: the movie does have a former AW's member in a bit part and ostensibly serving as a technical 'expert' during the production ... :)

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.

All things being equal (and when does THAT ever happen???) ... Give me a Joe Galloway any day, baby.

I am going to assume you are referring to this guy....?
soldiers.jpg

2002_we_were_soldiers_010.jpg

Or maybe I am having another tweedle dee moment :confused:

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Oh come on A-6, how quickly you forget... that while the A-6 drivers were training in the dark with their fancy "state of the art" night/all wx bombers, we us'n (day only) Skyhawk Drivers were keeping the local ho(r)nies amused er, occupied.
I guess I shouldn't direct this to you, as the early Intruder guys were probably in your Grandpa's age group!
BTW, I love my Intruder Buds, I was bagged trying to rescue two of them. We only batted .500 on that one, unfortunately.:confused:
BzB

Nope - Grandpa was an artilleryman in WWI.

But, I have an affinity for the single seat / single anchor crowd - at least the old school guys in Spads @ Skyhawks as my Dad was one of them -

VA-175 in the mid 50s
VA-76 in 64-66
VA-12 in 68-70

Ricky Bobby

I saw it about a week ago and I'll go with the consensus that it was a good action flick. No political BS, just a good Hollywood movie.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
I saw it tonight. I was quite saddened to see two of my favorite actors die so quickly into their roles, but I enjoyed the film.

incubus852

pilot
I'm trying to find somewhere near to see it. It's surprising that such a high-calibre movie with a well-written plot wouldn't make it's way to Meridian, the mecca of southern culture...

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
I just saw it and really enjoyed it. I've been bitching for years that there wasn't anything about Iraq or AF coming out of Hollywood that didn't portray us as bad guys and the Hajjis as misunderstood victims. This one doesn't do that so I give it two thumbs way up.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
I'm trying to find somewhere near to see it. It's surprising that such a high-calibre movie with a well-written plot wouldn't make it's way to Meridian, the mecca of southern culture...

It's been out on DVD since mid-2008. It was an indie film, so no big-theater marketing and showings.

Good film. A bit slow at points, but it kept me entertained nonetheless.

damcrac

Final Select NFO
I really enjoyed it. Mainly because the lack of politics in the story line. I would recommend this movie to anyone who can go see it. You can watch the first 7 mins or so of the movie on Hulu if you want to catch a glimpse.

wnukalicious

It was an interesting movie, some good action. The fact that the main character was so reckless was part of what made it exciting, but also pretty unrealistic. I'm no EOD tech, but I'm on 1/C cruise with EODMU2 and it was funny to hear pretty much all of the techs complain about how much they hated it and how dumb they thought it was. Some couldn't even watch more than 15 minutes of it. That being said, as long as you're not an experienced EOD tech I think you'll enjoy it, and like one of you said I guess it's good that it's not too accurate.