• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Haiti Situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob_ERAU

Haiti Situation,
Just curious what all you think about the Haiti situation. Something like three thousand Marines sent to help produce some sort of stabilization in a country trying to find sovereignty. Bush already receiving flack for this one… Just throwing this one out there…

Rob_ERAU

I guess not. I'm writing a paper on the situation there. I'm supposed to write on, "What interests do we have in Haiti." I can't figure out what interests we have in the country. The only reason I could see Bush sending Marines over is to defend the embassy and promote some sort of stability. Sounds like logical reasons to send troops to me...

frenchco

I think that another reason we sent Marines over is because Haiti is right in our backyard so to speak and the United States would rather send 3000 Marines to Haiti than have 3000 Haitians floating to Florida. If we can stabilize them somewhat, they will stay put. I mean thats obviously not the whole reason by any means, but I think that it has something to do with it.

Hudson

Rob,
I too was sent to Haiti 10 years ago. It is hard to figure out the US interest in Haiti. You have to look at the relationship we have had through out history. We have always been the ones to go in and help the people of that poor country. For the most part the Haitians are really nice people. They want democracy and to live a peaceful existence. The problem is that they are not very well educated at least on current events and they do not know what is going on in their government. It makes it easy to take advantage of the population under those situations.
When I was there with the Army's 25th inf we would go to the outlying towns around Cap Hatia and the people didn't know who Aristeed or Sadres was.
I think our current stake in the stabilization of Haiti is the prevention of Haitian refugees trying to make it to the US and human rights

navyfan

The number one short-term reason we're there (IMHO) is the election year contest. You've already seen the crazy charges the Congressional Balck Crockus made--and they were assisted by Peter Lemmings, Tom Lockjaw, and Dan Blather. The whole bunch of them would just love the situation to blow up so they could talk every night about the other "disaster" GWB has gotten the country into. Apparently, we went in there 10 years ago and were ready to take out the drug-crazed, voodo practicing, bad guys--and our first black president bailed on the plan at the last minute. Aside from the boat people, it's in our interest to prevent the country from falling into chaos--simply because of it's proximity to us. But as long as the country is filled with North African rejects and corrupt from top to bottom, we'll be going back again and again. Heck, we can't get honest government here, how do you get it there? Like I said, just my humble opinion, and not very PC. Sorry.

Rob_ERAU

navyfan, it is funny you say what you did. My professor is an x-Navy jag officer and he stated that he too thinks it is political also. Their is not a doubt in my mind that politics has a role. As for our interest being the security of our country to a neighboring crisis, it only makes sense. I'm surprised I didn't think of that before. I really appreciate the help fella's...

x-wing

Well basicallly this guy Chavez got elected a couple of years ago and sicne then has been causing problems. It's been said he has given money to guerrillas and other terrorist groups like Al kaeda. He is basically leading up to calling himself the dictator of Venezuela. I know the US has been monitoring the whole situation. Chavez agreed that he would hold a reelection if enough signatures where gotten. When more than 60% gave signatures he said many of them werent valid so he anulled many of them. Now everyone is marching protesting telling him to leave power. The national guard is killing and torturing people so basically the people are helppless. I laughed the other day when i heard him say that if Bush decided to so a commercial blockade against Venezuela he would not give them one drop of oil. I dont think US needs Venezuelas oil that bad. Chavez is a terorist and i'm wondering if the US will get involved.

that is it as far as i know

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Allow me to clue you in slightly. Venezuela supplies the US with 15% of it's crude oil. With the oil industry being a sellers market recently, it would definitely hurt us more than it would hurt them. With gas prices on the rise already, this does not bode well for us. The US has already been fiddling around in Venezuelan politics lately and with this being an election year, we probably will continue to do so.

/serious

And since America has such an unblemished record in Central/South America in the latter half of the 20th century, I can't possibly see what could go wrong here with our involvment

/dripping with sarcasm

x-wing

No I really believe it would hurt them more than it would hurt us. Believe it or not the talk on the streets in Venezuela at least for the 80++% of people is " I wonder why the US hasn’t gotten involved" I think the US is pretty busy right now and they don’t have time to play super hero or anything, but I do believe Chavez could become a terrorist threat to the US.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm curious to see where you obtained your "80%" figures. The typical number I've heard is 60%, but those are based on phone polls, and in a country with 12 phone lines per 100 citizens, that isn't very representative, ESPECIALLY among his primary support base (for a total of 7.2% of the population surveyed - if my math is right). Chavez is hugely popular among the poor in Venezuela. It is the middle-class and upper-class business owners that want him out. They were the ones behind the strike in 2002-2003 and they are the ones protesting now. The poor see him as a hero; someone who represents them. He has already agreed to a recall election, but based on the above statistics, it's likely that he will win again, which is a very likely reason dissenters are trying to incite a coup. There's also been a lot of talk surrounding US involvement in the last attempted coup and in this recent protest, and based on past US involvement in Latin American polictics, there's a pretty good chance they are more than rumors. So, if these parties were backed by, say, the CIA, of course they would be calling for more US involvement. Latin American politics are much more than they seem. The US has had their fingers in them for a long time.

And can we please stop throwing around the "terrorist" moniker and applying it to anyone who doesn't have the same political ideals as the party in office? It really gets old.

x-wing

He has already agreed to a recall election

I didn't know that .....I dont think he will win

I'm curious to see where you obtained your "80%" figures.

Well if you see the #of people marching even in the "chavista" areas you know there is definitely a lot more anti Chavez people. The Chavez marches don’t compare and they are filled mostly with Cubans.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does this mean the PEP Venezuela billet is gone? Glad I took the one in Chile.

Status
Not open for further replies.