• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Growler Gallery

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where does a seemingly "halfway" ECM aircraft, as the article suggests, these "G-wired F's are," fit in?

Well, like the article says it gives them the option later on to madify them into Growlers if they so desire. It gives them time to go through the strategic and budgetary decisions on whether or not to get an EA aircraft, they have never had anythign of the like. It would be a major investment up front and over the long term for them so it makes sense they would not want to rush it but do something to keep the option open.

Keep in mind that EA aircraft are very unique and the US is pretty much the only country that maintains a fleet of them. The only other tactical aircraft that comes close is Germany and Italy's Tornado ECR's, and that is more of a Wild Weasel equivalent.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
As far as classes go, there is one starting up in May and one in August. Good luck if you can get a Growler spot. Most of the Prowler Cat I's will hate you and will be super jealous.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Going Prowlers class up in June, dude in Kingsville hit the G spot.... I've heard there is competition going from the Prowler to Growler as far as FO's go is it the same with pilots. btw extremely happy to get the mission that I wanted.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
As far as classes go, there is one starting up in May and one in August. Good luck if you can get a Growler spot. Most of the Prowler Cat I's will hate you and will be super jealous.

Anyone who goes Prowlers or Growlers at this point is going to end up in a Growler by the end of their JO tour. So take the opportunity to fly a man's plane before they all go away. It is big and ugly and old, but you can land her on the ship as hard as you want with no problems! Plus it is fun to kick troubleshoot and she will try to go wherever you tell her to, regardless of airspeed or G-available! Last of the "flyable" jets in the inventory!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Anyone who goes Prowlers or Growlers at this point is going to end up in a Growler by the end of their JO tour. So take the opportunity to fly a man's plane before they all go away. It is big and ugly and old, but you can land her on the ship as hard as you want with no problems! Plus it is fun to kick troubleshoot and she will try to go wherever you tell her to, regardless of airspeed or G-available! Last of the "flyable" jets in the inventory!

I'm still hoping for the opportunity (Prowlers that is).....congrats kycntry btw!

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot

Well said!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Iron Works Forever, baby!

176px-Grumman.svg.png

HuggyU2

None
Sotake the opportunity to fly a man's plane before they all go away. It is big and ugly and old, but you can land her on the ship as hard as you want with no problems! Plus it is fun to kick troubleshoot and she will try to go wherever you tell her to, regardless of airspeed or G-available! Last of the "flyable" jets in the inventory!
A well written quote.
I gotta tell you: if I'm came over to the Navy, I'd ask for a Prowler. There's something about it I like.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A well written quote.
I gotta tell you: if I'm came over to the Navy, I'd ask for a Prowler. There's something about it I like.

The irony about that is when the USAF sent pilots to the land-based Prowler squadrons it was sometimes a choice between that and Predators. The ironic part, some of the pilots chose Predators because they didn't want to fly an old POS. At least that is what some of the USAF pilots who were in Whidbey said. Most of them were F-16 guys with some A-10 and F-15E guys as well. Ours was a T-33/RF-4/F-16/F-4/MQ-1 guy, he was a little odd too.

HuggyU2

None
The ironic part, some of the pilots chose Predators because they didn't want to fly an old POS.
If true, their wings should be permanantly revoked.
Nothing against the Pred/Reaper community: I went out there last week, and got the "behind the scenes tour". Very cool stuff they are doing.
But to avoid what they perceive is a "POS"? Well, they have lost the joy of flight while still doing "the mission".

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
i don't know much, but if someone volunteers to 'fly' a toy vice a plane, he must not like flying that much at all...and that makes him a douche.