• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Growler Gallery

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
The best kind of patch! :D

As someone who is on the outside now, I think it is great. The guts are going to matter a lot more than the outside, and the plane gives us a lot more capabilities when it comes to our mission. Think of it as all the best of a Prowler on steroids with some Wild Weasel/Iron Hand to go along with it. They haven't even scratched the surface of what the plane could do, it will be an excellent addition to our inventory. Makes you wonder why the USAF just seems to be ignoring EA, at their peril I suspect.

Hopefully it will be a bit harder to for you gentlemen to break...Sir. :)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I suspect that the USAF views some sort of UCAV as its SEAD's panacea/silver bullet. Are there plans to have expeditionary Growler squadrons with USAF embarked on board??

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I suspect that the USAF views some sort of UCAV as its SEAD's panacea/silver bullet. Are there plans to have expeditionary Growler squadrons with USAF embarked on board??

I suspect that the expeditionary VAQ squadrons will do just fine with with the same old NAVY painted on them. ;)

B

Blutonski816

I asked that question in the stupid question V.1 thread...

Brett327 said:
...On paper, the exped squadrons are supposed to go away after the Growler transition is complete, but the conventional wisdom is that the Navy will continue to do the exped mission. Whether that's with Prowlers or Growlers remains to be seen.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Ye of so little faith, we will figure out a way to keep all you maintainers busy one way or another. The question for your former coworkers is, do you really want the O's to come up with creative things for you to do instead of trying fixing planes? I hope you know still know the answer when you are the one that brings back a down bird. :D

P.S. No matter the bird, it will always be ready in "Just another 30 minutes sir!" ;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because when the CSD decouples, the starter valve won't close, and the 4.5 bearing commits seppuku, well, that's always the pilot's fault. :icon_tong

That said, props to anyone willing to stand next to a turning engine and whack it with a mallet! *BAM BAM BAM* "It's good Sir!" "Schweet. Press!" :D

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
That said, props to anyone willing to stand next to a turning engine and whack it with a mallet! *BAM BAM BAM* "It's good Sir!" "Schweet. Press!" :D

Heh... the T-2C philosophy of maintenance. If it don't start, kick it, wait a potato, then crank it again.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Growler Proving A Huge Success

I think it's a big indicator that the Growler completed a full large-force exercise before it's fleet OPEVAL!

4 Growlers from VX-9 completed the Mission Employment Phase of the USAF Weapons School post grad course over at Nellis AFB in June and made a very favorable impression on everyone who was there. After the jamming fun, the VX-9 guys showed off the AMRAAM capability using the AESA radar and Link 16. Pretty sweet!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I think it's a big indicator that the Growler completed a full large-force exercise before it's fleet OPEVAL!

4 Growlers from VX-9 completed the Missiion Employment Phase of the USAF Weapons School post grad course over at Nellis AFN in June and made a very favorable impression on everyone who was there. After the jamming fun, the VX-9 guys showed off the AMRAAM capability using the AESA radar and Link 16. Pretty sweet!

Thus confirming what I've long suspected. As far as Electronic Attack pilots go, the Growler pilots will be great fighter pilots.

That's not meant to be a zinger.......it's just that I suspect that future EA guys will spend an inordinate amount of time working intercept timelines and doing BFM. Anybody think that EA will suffer? Or are they just getting ahead of the curve for the advancing hordes of Chinese/NK/Iranian fighters that the F-22 was designed to defeat?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thus confirming what I've long suspected. As far as Electronic Attack pilots go, the Growler pilots will be great fighter pilots.

That's not meant to be a zinger.......it's just that I suspect that future EA guys will spend an inordinate amount of time working intercept timelines and doing BFM. Anybody think that EA will suffer? Or are they just getting ahead of the curve for the advancing hordes of Chinese/NK/Iranian fighters that the F-22 was designed to defeat?

That is a big fear of mine, and of several other VAQ guys I know. Brett would probably give us better info, but I just hope the VAQ community does not lose its focus and the Air Wing's don't look at the E/A-18 as just another shooter or bomb dropper.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I can only speak to the rah-rah speeches studs have been getting from higher up, but the immediate past RAG CO told us that the intent was to minimize cross-pollination with VFA to prevent the knowledge base from being diluted. IIRC, I heard VADM Kilcline say the same thing when he was here in March. You'd have to ask one of the G guys what the plan is re: CRM and how much EA the pilot is expected to take over as the crew necks down from 4 to 2, but I suspect that may be a SIPRNET question anyway.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
That is a big fear of mine, and of several other VAQ guys I know. Brett would probably give us better info, but I just hope the VAQ community does not lose its focus and the Air Wing's don't look at the E/A-18 as just another shooter or bomb dropper.

Ultimately isn't the job of the Fleet Introduction Team from 129 to preserve the VAQ culture and mission and just teach the new guys how to improve their mission capabilities with the Growler?

When they go to transition 132 in January of 2009, how much of the syllabus will be jamming and traditional VAQ stuff and how much will it be BFM and dropping bombs?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
From my understanding, the bomb dropping will be in an EA role... i.e. reach out and touch stuff that the HARM can't. As far as air to air stuff, it'll be taught, but as a self protect role. Not so much a "go out a schwack a few MiGs" deal.