• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I have the fleece, gore-tex and the full Massif suit. The Massif stuff is pretty awesome because it combines the others in being wind and water proof. The only drawback is how quickly it shows dirt...crew chiefs will destroy it in short order.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Anybody have good experience with leather conditioner's? I've been using this stuff I got from Wilson's leather on my jacket, its OK. Been reading about some stuff called Leather'n'rich, guess my next stop is the local leather joint. My jacket is pretty 'virgin' leather, trying to break it in and condition to be nice and soft.

navyao

This is for the AIRPAC, NSAWC and West Coast Marines. I already know the answer is no on the east coast so I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out. Here's the deal...I found an Aviator and an NFO name-tag from my old squadron on ebay, both are brand spanking new. I was issued and was able to keep my nomex flight jacket when I seperated. I'd like to have some of my patches sewn on it and having a 114 name-tag would make it look pretty shit hot. My problem is I want AO wings embroidered on it and I'm hoping there's someone on the west coast that's still making them since they're on ebay. Can you guys tell me where you get your sq. name-tags done on the west coast, especially around Miramar. My guess is since we were a Miramar based Tomcat squadron we must've gotten them from some place in San Dog. Thanks in advance for the help boys. - Tom

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
This is for the AIRPAC, NSAWC and West Coast Marines. I already know the answer is no on the east coast so I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out. Here's the deal...I found an Aviator and an NFO name-tag from my old squadron on ebay, both are brand spanking new. I was issued and was able to keep my nomex flight jacket when I seperated. I'd like to have some of my patches sewn on it and having a 114 name-tag would make it look pretty shit hot. My problem is I want AO wings embroidered on it and I'm hoping there's someone on the west coast that's still making them since they're on ebay. Can you guys tell me where you get your sq. name-tags done on the west coast, especially around Miramar. My guess is since we were a Miramar based Tomcat squadron we must've gotten them from some place in San Dog. Thanks in advance for the help boys. - Tom

Did you try Linda at Wings N Things in P-cola? If they don't have the wings, you can email her a high res .JPG and they'll set them up and crank out a soft name tag for you. They may even still have the soft patch from old Tomcat Squadrons still in their catalogue.

navyao

Did you try Linda at Wings N Things in P-cola? If they don't have the wings, you can email her a high res .JPG and they'll set them up and crank out a soft name tag for you. They may even still have the soft patch from old Tomcat Squadrons still in their catalogue.
I have not tried Linda but I will now! Thanks a lot!

East

东部
Contributor
Www.mardonco.com is specialized in USAF nametags,however they carry some other designs as well. Just drop them a mail and see what they can do for you. They are very communicative so they even may direct you in the right direction if they can't help you out.

navyao

Www.mardonco.com is specialized in USAF nametags,however they carry some other designs as well. Just drop them a mail and see what they can do for you. They are very communicative so they even may direct you in the right direction if they can't help you out.

I emailed them, thanks a lot! Per their web sight it sounds like they'll actually make it, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Winter weight jackets still exist, made out of a heavier nomex and a liner. I still do not have one, and am not holding out hope either.

Don't worry, when I was in Merids they gave them out to us like candy......I actually didn't think I needed it at the time and thought it was silly, but it came in handy both there, as well as a few winter days in Miramar, and I'm wearing it right now in Oceana....

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My Winter Jacket! Don't know if they still ha new after 52 years, except for the cuffs. I still have this "Dinosaur" jacket, which was issued to me in 1958. They wear like steel, as mine is still like new.
This jacket along w /AWGs was great in chilly/cold climes like Fallon in winter.
1958 Martini Flight Fallon.jpg
*Above: VA-94 "Martini Flight" FJ-4s @ Fallon ( ENS BzB far R, LTjg Dick Stratton (ex-POW) 2nd from L), Dec. 1958.

Otis05

pilot
Thanks BusyBee604, I recently got a re-issued G-1 from P-Cola (after theft) but they're running larger now than they did when I got my original issue at API in 2004. Anybody have a size 42 they'd be willing to trade for a brand new size 44? BTW, www.oxfordleathershop.com appears to be down, but that's the only decent aftermarket vendor I've heard of.

Jamin'G

pilot
Howdy All,

Figured I'd provide some updated info with respect to G-1's available in Korea. Pursuant to reading this thread, when I eventually made it over to this neck of the woods (Korea), I was hell-bent on getting one of the jackets available from Oxford Leather Shop. We went to his shop to order some (due to the fact that he only had one in stock), but he indicated that he wouldn't cut one custom to your measurements (which is what he used to do as I understand it). I believe this is due to the fact that he is closing up shop. He was a bit abrupt and less than helpful to say the least. After being informed that he may or may not have jackets by the time we leave Korea, we walked down the street and ordered custom tailored jackets from Mr. Lim's Tailors. I just picked mine up and the quality is first rate. Removable suede liner, sewn in blood chit, sewn in tag with your name and callsign, cell phone, pen, and side access front pockets, and high quality leather with lamb's fur collar are a couple of the features. Fit to your measurements for $255 out the door. Easily a $5-600 dollar jacket in the states at least.

Highly recommend. Cheers!

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Howdy All,

Figured I'd provide some updated info with respect to G-1's available in Korea. Pursuant to reading this thread, when I eventually made it over to this neck of the woods (Korea), I was hell-bent on getting one of the jackets available from Oxford Leather Shop. We went to his shop to order some (due to the fact that he only had one in stock), but he indicated that he wouldn't cut one custom to your measurements (which is what he used to do as I understand it). I believe this is due to the fact that he is closing up shop. He was a bit abrupt and less than helpful to say the least. After being informed that he may or may not have jackets by the time we leave Korea, we walked down the street and ordered custom tailored jackets from Mr. Lim's Tailors. I just picked mine up and the quality is first rate. Removable suede liner, sewn in blood chit, sewn in tag with your name and callsign, cell phone, pen, and side access front pockets, and high quality leather with lamb's fur collar are a couple of the features. Fit to your measurements for $255 out the door. Easily a $5-600 dollar jacket in the states at least.

Highly recommend. Cheers!
Where is this guy at? Seoul, Osan, Chinhae? Daegu?

jazzdude

The shop is next to Osan. Sad to hear the customer service went downhill...I had a pretty good experience when I bought my A-2 Jacket from him a year ago.

Jamin'G

pilot
Hey BigIron,

Mr. Lim is right outside the front gate of Osan. His shop is about a block further out than Oxford Leather's. He makes some first rate stuff. His shop is covered with pictures of Admirals and Generals who have purchased from him. We went in there again yesterday and there was a 1 star getting the PCS package. Mr. Lim is a pretty cool cat, too.