• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Due to my winter lasting about a week this year the old flight jacket stayed in the closet and collected dust. Hopefully be moving soon so maybe that will change.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Due to my winter lasting about a week this year the old flight jacket stayed in the closet and collected dust. Hopefully be moving soon so maybe that will change.

You could move to Waco and have 2 weeks of winter! :icon_tong

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I am. Just wait till summer. Not much beats a summers day in Wisco chilling on a lake with a Leinies red in hand.

Yup, I texted my bro back home a picture from the boat in Corpus today and he was...jealous...

Memorial Day to Labor Day, no place else I'd rather be in the world.

yak52driver

Contributor
Badger and Synix, you'll get no argument from me, Wisconsin is beautiful. But it was 15ish degrees this morning when I went out to the hanger to fly. Took an hour to preheat enough to get the 4 gallon oil tank warm. But spring (when the temps are normal) and summer are awesome.

Whats the REAL practice with flight jackets?

Ok, I've read the uniform regs on flight jackets. But I've seen senior officers wearing Green jackets with khakis (against the reg) and leather jackets with civies (also not specifically authorized in the regs).

So what's accepted with the wearing of the jackets?

Are you going to ask a person wearing a G1 for his ID? It is perfectly legal to wear a G1 or Nomex jacket if you are retired. Your fleet Nomex (several models) is your walking road map of what you have done as a pilot or RIO. Go to Tailhook or any Navy orginization meeting and you will see plenty of them being worn proudly. The tour guides at the Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola wear theirs every day, and proudly so.

As a senior officer, someone had a death wish asking me why I had on a Nomex flight jacket on with my khakis.

MasterBates

The flight jacket/suit holy wars are flaring up again.. I've been told I can't wear my leather jacket because it has a name tag with my NON-PC callsign on it. And the patched up Nomexs... Lets just say that more than one overly SWOtivated SWO, including a couple I outrank (I'm a LT, so I'm talking JGs) told me I can't wear it off the flight line. And I was in my bag.

Of course, they've now killed Aviation Greens too. I'm wearing my my last day on AD when I have to go check out. Probably going to wear it to the CONA ball if I am in town as well.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wearing the leather or Nomex with civvies is kosher. Uniform Regs says you can wear uniform components with civvies as long as you don't look like ass (I'm paraphrasing). You may look like a Maverick-wannabe tool, but that's not forbidden by regs.

@ Pop's Leather - I've heard they do good work. I've been meaning to send them my leather for years now.

What I really need to do is find a shop that can tailor down my issue leather around the middle. I'm a couple sizes smaller than I was ten years ago, and the jacket was big to begin with (you takes what the grouchy bitch at P'cola gear issue gives you). But it's nice and broken in and I don't want to deal with trying to get a new one. Anyone had it done?

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
As a senior officer, someone had a death wish asking me why I had on a Nomex flight jacket on with my khakis.

So, does that mean that it's OK for a JG to wear his nomex jacket with khakis? Or is it only senior officers who get to violate uniform regs?

Don't get me wrong, I think the no nomex with khakis rule is stupid, but it's not as bad as willfully violating regs when everyone junior to you is looking to you to be an example.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My Winter Jacket! Don't know if they still have this "Dinosaur" jacket, which was issued to me in 1959. It was designed and issued to Nuke Attack Pilots, with accompanying pants of the same warm material. They were designed to be worn under an Exposure "Poopy" Suit, for winter low level nav "Sandblower" training flights over chilly Pacific waters, west of San Francisco. I only flew 3 flights in my whole career in this rig, thank God, needed a shoehorn to get into that tiny A-4 cockpit wearing a Poopy, and it was like a sardine in a tin in the cockpit.:eek:
We mainly wore this as a flight jacket with AWGs around Alameda, Fallon & Lemoore in the winter. Mucho warmer than the G-1 Leather! They wear like steel, as mine is still like new after 52 years, except forWinter FJ.jpgWFJ Label.jpg the cuffs. Do they still have/issue these jackets?
BzB