• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Some guys at the hornet rag think that you're trying to hard if you're wearing the leather jacket. I was like seriously what the fuck? I have wings. Its cold. I'm wearing the fucking jacket.

Which Rag, cuz thats obviously a gay place to be.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
There's a place in Wells Road Plaza that does all kinds of military alterations. I'm sure they could do it. Can't remember the name of the place but it's in the SW corner of the plaza.

We called her the Crazy Asian in the P-3 squadrons- no idea what the store or its owners real name are. Normally does good work, but make sure that the owner/lead seamstress does it and not her sister/assistant. Know of one Jacket where the name tag and squadron patch got reversed do to some confusion by the person doing it.

What intersection is the Wells road plaza at?

Whitingorbust

I was just issued my leather a few months ago, I thought the quality of it wasn't too bad, but I am no expert (its currently made by Excelled). I originally thought about getting a nicer one when I winged, but would be reluctant to get rid of the one I was issued. I was wondering if anybody has had their issued jacket modified such as the collar replaced, side entry pockets put in, liner added etc. I saw that Pop's does it but the shipping alone is 120$, wanted to see if anybody had any stateside recommendations or is it a bad idea in general?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
The place you are referring to is Oxford Leather. Those aren't Navy-Style, those are the real deal, including full length Bomber Jackets. (Of course he has added some extras/upgrades) They have a website, but it's about $50 cheaper to buy it in person than order it on the web. IIRC

They do have a Navy Style there that is extremely comfortable and is now $150 in person.

badger16

None
I was just issued my leather a few months ago, I thought the quality of it wasn't too bad, but I am no expert (its currently made by Excelled). I originally thought about getting a nicer one when I winged, but would be reluctant to get rid of the one I was issued. I was wondering if anybody has had their issued jacket modified such as the collar replaced, side entry pockets put in, liner added etc. I saw that Pop's does it but the shipping alone is 120$, wanted to see if anybody had any stateside recommendations or is it a bad idea in general?

I just got mine done by Pops and am waiting for a friend to bring it back. However, I would have paid the shipping had he not been going TAD over there because they do a real awesome job! Here are some pics...
jacket.jpgP1020088.jpg

vaq139

Hello every one this is my first post and after reading this topic from the beginning I hope I will come across In a respectable way I am a civilian patch collector and I collect Navy Patches and patches that center around the Fleet, Air wings and squadrons on the aircraft carriers that my son in law is assigned He is presently aboard the CVN-75 Harry S Truman [prior-CVN-70 and CVN-65] My other passion is Flight Jackets I collect all Fabric Jackets centering around CWU-45/P 36/P sage and desert colors no Leather jackets yet Occasionally I recreate a jacket that depicts a certain period and detail to it to match a ship, air wing and squadron. For the Navy I have the CWU”s and a WEP and for USAF I have almost all types they have used
Here is where I need help
I was shopping the other day in a Ma-1 jacket that I have replicated to US Air Force 1970’s Era and I got called out by a returned Army OIF Veteran I was so embarrassed I tried to say it was an Honor and I told him thank you we shook hands and went on, I can’t get over what happened. I faithfully do not want send that message again because I do Honor them and Appreciate all who serve our Country I thought I was projecting an image only to be made out as a wanabe
There was No way to explain myself to him when he asked me if I was in the Air Force
I was proud how authentic the jacket turned out and received compliments but that Soldier Put me in my place
I apologize to every soldier who I walked by wearing the jacket who I may have offended. The Jacket stays out of public from now on
As a Civilian patch collector My Question know is how what do I do with my flight jackets ?
My US Navy Jackets all have VELCRO attachments
After reading the forum topics are there acceptable type of patches that could be placed without looking like a wanabe and disrespecting the military the following is what is what I got from reading the posts please correct me and guidance please
No US Navy, US Air Force, US Army, US Marine Corp, US Coast Guard insignia-No command Wings Groups, no squadrons -No weapon schools, Training schools -No Crew chiefs Support Crews, No ranks anywhere and No badges is a flag ok
I suggest Specific plane & aircraft patches such as F-14, f-16 and f-18’s ?? and a name tag with no wings
Or Event s attended? Air show’s
When and what would be appropriate for a civilian to wear on a flight jacket

Thanks Howard and thanks again

FLY_USMC

pilot
My mom has a nomex jacket with "Marine Aviator's Mom" embroidered on the left chest and randomly wears my different Squadron patches on it. In public mind you<---my mom obviously has little to no fashion sense but we'll not talk about that. She is proud of what I do and proud of our country. Since I've been in the military I've met some absolutely amazingly patriotic people. Dave from Fort Smith for example. If you've been to Fort Smith, you know who I'm talking about, if you haven't you should go. Wear what makes you happy. Wear what you want. Who is anyone on here to tell you otherwise. Respect what you're wearing, and if somebody asks, explain exactly to them exactly how you explained it to us. A simple, "I wasn't in the military but am proud of those who were," will suffice. To be honest it's like NFL players telling people not to wear jerseys. Besides, if you try to fake the funk you'll just get ridiculed, your picture taken, and slandered all over the internet. Lastly, I wouldn't take shit from some Army OIF Veteran......but that's just me.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Don't sweat it. Anyone who gets their panties in a bunch over an enthusiast who is obviously not trying to impersonate anyone has got some issues themselves.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I wouldn't sweat it. You may get some sideways glances but if someone really feels the need to ask you about your jacket you say exactly what you told us. I have no issue with anyone who's honest about who they are wearing a flight jacket.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
My old man has one of the old style flight jackets with the blaze orange lining. It's patched up with a bunch of my patches from through the training command to now. I usually send him a patch whenever I get a new one or one of the crews comes up with one I deem especially cool.

He wears it every so often and is always proud to explain his connection to naval aviation. No sweat if you're honest about it.