• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have had no patch on my leather jacket for 4 years, not a peep out of anyone.

Kept my good one (the one I bought that was quality goatskin with real mouton collar) in "virgin" condition for 20 years+ vice the govt issue one that wasn't close in quality. Navy seems to be way more flexible on leather jacket appearance. Before it got warm here, I saw virgin jackets, Tipsy Gypsy "specials" and just nametags and everything between. It's all good (as CO of base likes to say).

S.O.B.

pilot
Brilliant Brett. Why follow any regulations at all? Just because you never got caught disregarding regulations doesn't mean that no one else will. Think about the audience you are talking to before you post.

We need a private JOPA FORUM for stuff like this.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Thanks all for the replies. I've read the regs but I also wanted to know the "unofficial" regs. I guess just to see whats out there and what I can expect. So far, most of the leather jackets I've seen had a squadron/command patch and the nametag. Ive only seen one other LT with nothing on his leather.

Just wondering if I should have the wings 'n things ladies stitch me up some velcro for my nametag only. Or am I making a terrible mistake?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Just wondering if I should have the wings 'n things ladies stitch me up some velcro for my nametag only. Or am I making a terrible mistake?
Don't put anything on your "leather" except your nametag/wings ... you can change it as time and rank progresses. Or do it in velcro --- same-O, same-O. Save the patches for your nomex/nylon/whatever you guys use today.

You do not want a lot of "holes" in the leather ... it looks bad. You'll be glad you saved it when you are 50 years old. Or get a couple of them and then change at will and who cares ??? :)

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
All due respect, Sir, keep that Marine Kool Aide on your side of the street, and stop stealing my bike while you're at it (you're not perfect either) ;) That's the Navy way of doing things, like it or not.

Brett

Funny isn't it when someone is about to slam you they always add "With all due respect" :icon_smil I think we are missing the point. This is a mentoring website to students and people interested in Naval Aviation. This is not a "Fleet Forum" never has been and should never become one. Don't bring fleet values into the forum. Treat the audience like they will one day work for you because they probably will.

Brett, my apologies for being so blunt. I'm better in person then on a impersonal thread. Still, I can't help being a Marine.

BTW: That JOPA crap is for the birds. It never kept me out of hack.......no, I'm not perfect but I've learned how to survive!

Semper Fly

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny isn't it when someone is about to slam you they always add "With all due respect" :icon_smil I think we are missing the point. This is a mentoring website to students and people interested in Naval Aviation. This is not a "Fleet Forum" never has been and should never become one. Don't bring fleet values into the forum. Treat the audience like they will one day work for you because they probably will.

Brett, my apologies for being so blunt. I'm better in person then on a impersonal thread. Still, I can't help being a Marine.

BTW: That JOPA crap is for the birds. It never kept me out of hack.......no, I'm not perfect but I've learned how to survive!

Semper Fly

No worries shipmate. I did 4 months under the repressive Iwakuni regime with MAG-12 and know how the green side does business. :D I just don't want someone to ruin a perfectly good flight jacket when they don't really have to.

Brett

BlkPny

pilot
OK, here's the easiest solution.
Two leathers.
One, you keep as a "slick". Can wear it anythime, anywhere. Nothing on it but nametag with wings.
The other. load it up with all the irreverant, obscene, humorous, politically incorrect, and "been there, done that" patches your command will tolerate.
When you get out, you wear the slick once in awhile to let people know you were a Naval Aviator. Constant source of pride.
The other one you leave in the closet. Eventually, your kids will discover it, and sneak looks at it. It might motivate them to get into Naval Aviation themselves. It worked on two of mine.
Now you other old guys, play nice. We need to tell the younger guys what to do, as well as what not to do. Just friendly advice, based on experience.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
OK, here's the easiest solution.
Two leathers. .......Now you other old guys, play nice. We need to tell the younger guys what to do, as well as what not to do. Just friendly advice, based on experience.

Ahhhhhh ...... So much wisdom ... and so little time.

I think I love you ....