• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I am just wondering what is wrong with taking pride in looking professional when in uniform (especially when there are enlisted sailors/Marines around) and why if we rightfully jump on a junior Marine for being out of uniform it is scorned to correct a peer?...I have seen some Ensigns who were just completely jacked up, and a couple Marines too mind you...

rare21

pilot
Contributor
jamnww said:
I am just wondering what is wrong with taking pride in looking professional when in uniform (especially when there are enlisted sailors/Marines around) and why if we rightfully jump on a junior Marine for being out of uniform it is scorned to correct a peer?...I have seen some Ensigns who were just completely jacked up, and a couple Marines too mind you...

ah but there's a big difference between being completely "jacked up" (please let me know if i missed a button in front or my gig line is all wrong) and a button on my rear that no one cares about. I'd go crazy walking around the exchange pointing out every single little deficiency if I was like that.

The point is, it was a bit much.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
rare21 said:
ah but there's a big difference between being completely "jacked up" (please let me know if i missed a button in front or my gig line is all wrong) and a button on my rear that no one cares about. I'd go crazy walking around the exchange pointing out every single little deficiency if I was like that.

The point is, it was a bit much.

That button, yeah, may be a bit much...grant that...

Case I was thinking about was an Ensign who had IPs on his flight suit that you could repel from and got all pissed off when a Marine told him he should trim them down a bit...they were clearly visible...

rare21

pilot
Contributor
jamnww said:
That button, yeah, may be a bit much...grant that...

Case I was thinking about was an Ensign who had IPs on his flight suit that you could repel from and got all pissed off when a Marine told him he should trim them down a bit...they were clearly visible...

If there is ever a reg that should be enforced on flight suits is the amount of time that goes by before you need to wash it. Man I've smelt some bad ones. I had one instructor that had a very prominent aroma. In three different briefs within a span of 4 months he always smelled the same, I doubt he washed it within that time.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
rare21 said:
If there is ever a reg that should be enforced on flight suits is the amount of time that goes by before you need to wash it. Man I've smelt some bad ones. I had one instructor that had a very prominent aroma. In three different briefs within a span of 4 months he always smelled the same, I doubt he washed it within that time.

Didn't you know that just makes them "saltier" and thereby better instructors?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
rare21 said:
just as when a major said to take a patch off my flight suit, [wasnt anything bad he was just from a rival school (an Aggie go figure) ] and i put it back later on and had a second lt. give me shit for "blowing off an O-4", i just rolled my eyes..take a chill pill dude and relax.

The best are the Aggies that wear TWO A&M patches on their flight suit... one on the right shoulder, and the other on the Pen Flap- and don't ever shutup about being from Texas or being an Aggie...

Ex Rigger

pilot
zippy said:
The best are the Aggies that wear TWO A&M patches on their flight suit... one on the right shoulder, and the other on the Pen Flap- and don't ever shutup about being from Texas or being an Aggie...
Surely no Aggies I know would ever do that.........;)

Crowbar

None
rare21 said:
take a chill pill dude and relax.

Yeah, the TBS assembly line produces all makes and models. I agree, the A&M patch guy was probably trying to impress somebody (kissass, anyone?), maybe he was an Aggie himself. But I'd much rather have somebody closer to that end of the spectrum than the other Lt's walking around here with one hand holding a cell phone to their ear, the other hand deep in a pocket (all in uniform), cause "Hey, I'm an officer, none of these enlisted guys is gonna say anything to me."

Of course, seems like the first type ends up being the one we've been describing for the last page or so. If I actually had all that stuff (API shirt, super tight blue jeans, red USMC hat) I'd make a composite photo so we could revel in its...appropriateness as civilian attire.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
rare21 said:
oh they're out there after TBS, it usually ends after API though (hopefully).

example in API:

"Ensign, the button on the back of your khaki pants isnt buttoned."

I turn around expecting to see some Major, instead see some high and tight Marine Second Lieutenant from my class.

me: "Okey Dokey there lieutenant."

Looking at how much it was bothering him I half expected him to button it up himself. Why he was staring at my ass i'll never know.

First, I'd rather have someone my own grade tell me my uniform has something amiss, rather than a superior, or even worse, getting told I'm hosed up by an enlisted Marine.

Second, why are you taking offense at being corrected? It's one thing to take issue with the oft-ludicrous civilian attire some of the super motivated wear. However, there's really only one way to wear the uniform--in accordance with the uniform regulations for your service. Maybe you didn't like his tone, but guess what? It's hard to justify moral indignation when he's right and you're wrong.

Lastly, there's always a balance to be reached. The brand-new 2ndLt Hitler Youth crowd sometimes need to realize that a horseshoe haircut does not squared-away make. Likewise, there are a lot of ensigns, and a few 2ndLts that need to learn that they aren't working at Hardee's.

In regards to civilian clothing and such, a good officer knows what parts of the military are 24/7 and what needs to be left at the office. You should uphold civilian attire standards within reason. For example, ballcaps and shower shoes don't belong in the exchange. However, I wouldn't hassle a Marine for wearing grubby work clothing when he runs into Lowes to buy more yard supplies (this happened to a friend of mine). Appropriate civilian attire does not have to be lame. I think the "Queer Eye" guys need to give a TBS and MCT inbrief, as well as a field-grade refresher course. 1st rule, uniform items stay with the uniform.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
again..as i said before in my previous post, i did not take offense. the only point i was saying was that it was a bit much. if he was so motivated to point that small thing out then i hope he's going around every squadron, mess hall, exchange,etc correcting small mistakes. its all or nothing. we'll see how far that goes.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'll stand corrected--you weren't offended. It really isn't all or nothing. To make an analogy, people will say that we shouldn't have gotten rid of Saddam because there are a lot of bad dictators and we can't take them all out. Well, you deal with the worst ones one at a time, and it's a start. Not to say that an unbuttoned button is equivalent to genocide or anything, but you're less likely to miss it again, in any case.

A staff sergeant who worked in my shop when I was a lieutenant said something that has stuck with me for awhile. "People say that Marines are all fvcked-up now. If you're complaining about it, what are you doing to change it?" If a Marine/sailor/soldier officer/enlisted is gooned up, take the time to correct him/her. Use a tone appropriate to the grade of the individual and the severity of the whatever it is, but do it. Don't see someone who's messed up and just let it be. If the person is not a complete oxygen thief, he'll appreciate the correction and probably never do it again (and will probably be harder on himself than you were). If he is one of the many who deplete the world's O2 while giving nothing in return, then fvck him, he deserves the ass-chewing.

No, I can't stop every sh!thead from wearing flip-flops in the exchange, or tell every sailor that personal cell phones don't clip on your uniform. Sometimes I am in a hurry and just deal. But usually I'll take my eyedropper and empty the swimming pool a little. Not always cool, but SNCOs and officers are supposed to be respected, not necessarily liked.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
"First, I'd rather have someone my own grade tell me my uniform has something amiss, rather than a superior, or even worse, getting told I'm hosed up by an enlisted Marine."

As would I. But if you notice, he called him "Ensign" and not by his name, or "excuse me", or "hey". An O-1 is an O-1, I don't care who is better at shooting the grenade launcher or whether Marine officers get an "attention on deck" years before their Navy paygrade counterparts. For anyone who's seen "Zulu", it's like the officer of engineers and the infantry officer arguing about date of rank...except it's in a hallway, it doesn't make a shred of difference, and there aren't any Zulus. We Ensigns make a lot of assumptions about Second Lieutenants and sometimes we don't capitalize "sailors," whether referring to ourselves or our subordinates. But if the guy with his button undone was a jiujutsu instructor, five-time All Navy rifle shot, and had been in combat on a shore party, would the Marine dude staring at his ass still have made the same assumption? Nine times out of ten, yes. So don't call someone by their rank unless one of you is a "sir."

KBayDog

highlyrandom said:
So don't call someone by their rank unless one of you is a "sir."

Why not? We all earned our ranks, so what's wrong with being addressed by our appropriate titles?

I understand that this is situation-dependant. It's kind of like phrogdriver's thoughts on what parts of our profession are "24/7." I'm not talking about addressing every butterbar you meet as "ensign" or "lieutenant," especially the ones you are familiar with, nor am I saying not to use their names when talking to them. That's just retarded.

However, until a relationship/rapport is developed, there is nothing wrong (and I would go as far as to say that it is appropriate) to address a peer by his or her rank...especially if you don't know/can't see his or her name. In fact, the first time you called him or her by rank would probably the only time you do it. That one time, though, is a sign of respect and acknowledgement that you are talking to another professional officer, and not just another guy waiting in line to use the pisser at a football game.