• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There’s a difference between the USAF and NAVAIR Massif jackets?
Affirm - NAVAIR had different specs and the jacket was made to that. The AF version is different in cut and pockets/velcro. Most of the AF folks in my office (pilots) have the OCP version and wear it with standard flight-suit. The NAVAIR version fits better I think - although in general Massif garments are cut rather generously. Both jackets are fantastic - warm and functional. I believe the CWU series jackets are dead across all the services.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Affirm - NAVAIR had different specs and the jacket was made to that. The AF version is different in cut and pockets/velcro. Most of the AF folks in my office (pilots) have the OCP version and wear it with standard flight-suit. The NAVAIR version fits better I think - although in general Massif garments are cut rather generously. Both jackets are fantastic - warm and functional. I believe the CWU series jackets are dead across all the services.
Give it 20 years, and folks will be searching for the CWU jackets as old school. Much like the Vietnam era WEP Jacket.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
You know, I would kill to find an old unused summer weight CWU-36 jacket (The “shiny” one that mad dog had in that photo). The green one we got issued in API is awful. It feels like wearing cardboard. Massif beats them all, but I’d love to get a comfy CWU covered in patches like all the salty guys have 😀

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The AF version has an ascot pocket and high-lighted elbows for enhanced pointing.
In almost 3 1/2 years in AF land, meeting folks from every airframe and community, I have yet to witness a "pointed elbow" or an ascot! Lots of pocket tabs though - oh and comfortable flight boots!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know, I would kill to find an old unused summer weight CWU-36 jacket (The “shiny” one that mad dog had in that photo). The green one we got issued in API is awful. It feels like wearing cardboard. Massif beats them all, but I’d love to get a comfy CWU covered in patches like all the salty guys have 😀
I might have one for you..what size?

Update: just looked and I have a Med. CWU-45 Winter weight. Let me know if you’re interested.

BarryD

Contributor
Ironically I think it’s the green version of the AF Massif that gets issued at NIFE.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Already being done. At least on the VFA side most people end up getting an older CWU jacket to put patches on.

This is probably the only thing they’re good for now. I never went full send on patching mine up, but probably will now as I’m on the back end of my career just for nostalgia. Honestly haven’t worn it since 2012 when I managed to swing a fleece, and haven’t worn the fleece since 2018 when I swung a Massif.

Edit. In 2014 at WTI in Fallon we observed some CAS events in the middle of the night in February. I wore the fleece with the CWU on top. I was still shivering by the time we got back to base from the range. That was the last time I wore the CWU.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You know, I would kill to find an old unused summer weight CWU-36 jacket (The “shiny” one that mad dog had in that photo). The green one we got issued in API is awful.

I'm pretty sure they're the same thing. The older -36 jackets weren't good at anything other than looking the part. The winter weight that ea6bflyr mentioned is a much better jacket with it being warmer and softer. However it's overkill for places like Florida for 48 weeks out of the year. For locales in higher latitudes (or lower, depending on where you are), I'd argue it's still relevant, even as good as the Massif is.

crevans2

FAO, former NFO, formerer E
Haven’t worn Type IIIs in so long, and don’t have a parka or fleece. Is leather flight jacket allowed to be worn with Type IIIs??