• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flugelman

Contributor
A fun thing to do was catch someone asleep (that shouldn't be) in the lower bunk on the P-3B. If you could talk the PPC into firing the retro launcher the sleeper would usually bump their head on the upper bunk.

Wonder how many current P-3 Bubbas here even know what the "Retro Launcher" was??? :rolleyes:

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
From my bag throwing days I have to say that an Airbus bin has the most ergonomic shape for a quick nap!

jmcquate

Contributor
Catnap.....

catnap.jpg
Tomcat Nap

Flugelman

Contributor
You can put this Warpig driver in the "no clue, but curious" camp. . .

tracker_retro_marker_b.jpg

The Retro Launcher depicted above is from a Canadian S2 variant. It was also installed in the SP2H, P-3A and B models. It utilized info from the air data system to launch a smoke marker directly opposite to the direction of flight at a velocity equal to the aircraft's speed over the ground causing the smoke marker to fall straight down. It was pneumatic and fired with a very loud WHOOOMP! On the P-3's it was located right under the lower bunk so anyone sleeping there was in for a surprise. It could be fired without a smoke marker so nothing was launched.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I wouldn't laugh at that. There is a push right now in the Navy to mount those in our helos. No power or external antenna. Just a mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.