• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
The pic of the feathered engine makes me want to ask... do P-3's shut down 2 and run the others at higher power to get a better loiter time?

If you really wanted to get your peepee spanked good circa 2005 timeframe in VP-1....you could loiter 2 engines.... It is in the NORMAL procedures Ch.8 section of our NATOPS BTW.....

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 26 March 2009

VA145Tank2.jpg

VA-145 KA-6D 1974

yak52driver

Contributor
VA145Tank2.jpg

VA-145 KA-6D 1974

I have a question about this picture. It looks like the A-6 has fuel tanks hung under each wing for tanking other aircraft. If for some reason it had to recover with most of the fuel still on board would it be able to land with that fuel load, dump the fuel or pickle the tanks?

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
VA25Tank.jpg

VF-21 Freelancers F-4J Phantom II tanks from VA-25 Fist of the Fleet A-7E over the Tonkin Gulf, spring 1973.

Looks like the speedbrake is cracked open on the SLUF. Did he have to slow down for the mighty Phantom to get plugged in?;)

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
I have a question about this picture. It looks like the A-6 has fuel tanks hung under each wing for tanking other aircraft. If for some reason it had to recover with most of the fuel still on board would it be able to land with that fuel load, dump the fuel or pickle the tanks?

If its like the prowler you would either dump whats left in the tanks or transfer it to the main bag. Trapping with fuel in the wings or drop tanks is bad. No need to drop tanks ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
As long as you're at or below MAX-TRAP, you're good-to-go ... UNLESS you've got fuel in one of the wing drops and a failure to XFER ... then it's got to go because of lateral stress on the arresting gear and/or aircraft -- at least that's the way it "was" .... :):sleep_125

KA-6 Tankers have had that experience on a regular basis -- i.e., more than once in my case ... it's a very expensive fuel XFER problem when looking for that bottom line as you selective jettison off the offending drop tank ...

yak52driver

Contributor
If its like the prowler you would either dump whats left in the tanks or transfer it to the main bag. Trapping with fuel in the wings or drop tanks is bad. No need to drop tanks ;)

As long as you're at or below MAX-TRAP, you're good-to-go ... UNLESS you've got fuel in one of the wing drops and a failure to XFER ... then it's got to go because of lateral stress on the arresting gear and/or aircraft -- at least that's the way it "was" .... :):sleep_125

KA-6 Tankers have had that experience on a regular basis -- i.e., more than once in my case ... it's a very expensive fuel XFER problem when looking for that bottom line as you selective jettison off the offending drop tank ...

Thanks!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Should also mention for the uninitiated that the Ongoing tanker would launch early enough to RDZ with Offgoing tanker during Cyclic Ops and relieve Offgoing tanker of any gas not used and ensure that he was "sweet".

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For A-6 Intruder Lovers.....

MILITARY AVIATION
Legends of Vietnam: Shoulder to Shoulder
The Grumman A-6 was ugly, but it sure could cook.
By Rafael Lima
Air & Space Magazine, May 01, 2009

Great article.
LINKY

SlapHappy

"Chick Beer" drinker
DSC00530 Aww Crap.jpg

They dunked him like an Oreo a couple times before they gave up and dropped him on deck. My three year old asked me what they were doing. "Making sure the Ensign will do better next time."

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
They opened up the SR-71 at the March Field Museum this weekend. I managed to snap a couple:

I forgot to add the Naval Aviation tie-in:

It seems our Blackbird was performing a high mach outrun of a SAM (Surface to Air Missile) in 1987 and shelled a turbine blade. She outran the missile, but had to make an emergency landing at a Naval air station in the Key West area.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG