• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know about "infamous," but Willie Driscoll was the RIO for all five of the Cunningham MiG kills. He was later a Topgun instructor and then in VF-2 before getting out of the Regular Navy. He was in VF-301 for a while and remained in the Reserves after he stopped flying. Topgun (now a part of NSAWC at Fallon) used him as a guest lecturer for many years, where he would speak to the classes on preparation for combat.

He was also a special guest at last graduating class (along with "Wizard" McCabe) several weeks ago.

B

Blutonski816

^
Is wizard still active duty?? Last I heard he was C3F in '04... and my google fu has failed to produce more recent results.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^
Is wizard still active duty?? Last I heard he was C3F in '04... and my google fu has failed to produce more recent results.

He's been retired for awhile now and enjoying life. He looked very content and well.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 6 July 2008

VF301XOVFA195.jpg

During the transition from A-7Es to F/A-18As, the VFA-195 Dambusters were at NAS Lemoore and wore the tail code "NM" before their assignment to CVW-5 at NAF Atsugi in July 1986. (Before CVW-10 stood up in November '86, non-assigned squadrons at Lemoore used the NM tailcode).
One of their aircraft is show in this late '85/early '86 photo in formation with the VF-301 XO's bird painted in retro gloss gray.

B

Blutonski816

I really like the "white" gray, just for the record.

scruffysecond.jpg

although my personal favorite is the gull gray over white from the 60s and 70s... which is Why I thought it was really cool when some of the transitioning Tomcat Sqadrons painted up their CAG or CO's aircraft in 70s gull gray schemes...

phrogpilot73

Sort of aviation related...

Heroway01.jpg

Petty Officer 3rd Class Edward Lucero Jr. runs down Hero's Highway towards a waiting CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter at Balad, Iraq, Aug. 31. Lucero is a corpsman with Marine Aircraft Group 16 (Reinforced), 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (Forward), and is assigned to casualty evacuation missions flown by Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 364, MAG-16. Seconds before, Lucero had dropped off a Marine casualty at the Balad surgical hospital and was returning with medical gear in hand to the Purple Foxes helicopter. Lucero is a San Diego native.

phrogpilot73

Let's not forget who we borrow the planes from...

050822-m-9176h-002.jpg

AL ASAD, Iraq - Three Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 161 Marines push a CH-46 rotor towards their hangar here Aug. 22. The Greyhawks have served in Iraq every year since Operation Iraqi Freedom began in 2003.

050727-m-9176h-002.jpg

AL ASAD, Iraq - Lance Cpl. Matt Aronson, a crew chief with Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 264 examines some of the internal components of his CH-46 during a pre-flight inspection here July 28. Aronson is a 2002 graduate of Stoneman Douglas High School in Coral Springs, Fla.

050714-m-9176h-012.jpg

AL ASAD, Iraq - Lance Cpl. Raul Vasquez, a flightline mechanic with HMM-764 and Oxnard, Calif., native, works to repair a filter onboard a Moonlight CH-46 during scheduled routine maintenance. The flightline division is made up of engine mechanics, flightline mechanics and crew chiefs who work together to prepare their aircraft for combat operations.

Flugelman

Contributor
^^^
+1 Thank you sir. Us maintainers always appreciate some recognition for the work we do/did.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Old R.O. Picture of the Day for 7 July 2008

VF21STart75.jpg

In keeping with the maintainers theme... here's a start-up scene from NAS Miramar, early 1975. VF-21 F-4J on the ramp east of Hangar 1.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Iran's new fighter

Interesting and "original" paint scheme....hmmm where have I seen this paint job before? This is their newly developed Saeqeh aircraft , which in loose translation means "Thunderbolt". Brief info of their new fighter plane. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HESA_Saeqeh It looks like an F-5 and an F/A-18 had a baby.

azarakhsh_ii_aka_saeqeh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.