• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

exhelodrvr

pilot
NAS Cecil...25K+ acres surrounded by farmland and very few houses (in the 90's). Noise complaints were almost non-existent. Then the Navy (yes, we did it to ourselves) recommended to BRAC that we close the base and move everything to a resort town, Virginia Beach (
"We have met the enemy and it is us"

Yeah, never understood that decision; was stationed at NAS Jax in the early 80's, and Cecil seemed like an ideal location operationally.

markkyle66

From 27 March 78 to 18 December 80. Lived between Orange Park and Middleburg, back when that was out in the country.

I live down the road from Middleburg, the entire area has definately changed/exploded...still full of country bubbas and jacked up fords though. :D

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Yeah, never understood that decision; was stationed at NAS Jax in the early 80's, and Cecil seemed like an ideal location operationally.

It was but politics was a huge factor in the "apolitical" BRAC process. Short Sea Story: I was the CINCLANT BRAC Operational Rep. I'm the junior guy (O-4) sitting on the crapper in the back of a C-12 with the Asst. SecNav for Installations doing an airborne tour of Cecil. The aide waves me up to the front to sit with the ASN(I). He asks some ops questions and then asks the million dollar question, what do you think about closing this base? I answer (respectfully), sir you really don't want to know. His response was a classic...so this might not have been the best choice...I just nodded. The bottom line, it was too late by then to do anything, the train had left the station.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I always thought it more than a little to do with Charlie Bennett retiring. Lousy either way...end threadjack.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
A picture I took at the 2005 Reno Air Races of "Big Bossman" taxiing out for the Unlimited Silver Class championship race. I ran from the sport class pace plane towards her taxiing, then laid down on the ramp real quick to get the angle for the shot.

2eg7fuq.jpg

markkyle66

After reading A4s post on NAS Barbers Pt. I did a little reading and came across this picture, which I think is very cool! That stearman looks sharp!:drool_125

Attachments

• VC-1%20H0102%20%20FJ-1%20BPNAS%20TWR%201961.jpg
    VC-1%20H0102%20%20FJ-1%20BPNAS%20TWR%201961.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 747px-Three_F-105_and_two_TA-4J.jpg
    747px-Three_F-105_and_two_TA-4J.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 750px-TA-4J_Skyhawk_1976.jpg
    750px-TA-4J_Skyhawk_1976.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 128

badger16

None
^^ Is that an F4j with the biplane or an F3j? There was an F4J that came into NPA today belly up. Everyone was okay but it sucked to see a pretty bird that like that get beat up.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ Is that an F4j with the biplane or an F3j? There was an F4J that came into NPA today belly up. Everyone was okay but it sucked to see a pretty bird that like that get beat up.

Perhaps you meant the FJ Fury?

fj3fury_n.jpg

There is a FJ-4 T/M/S on the airshow circuit. Did it look like this one?

250px-FJ_Fury.jpg

FJ-4 owned by Richard Sugden

badger16

None
Perhaps you meant the FJ Fury?

fj3fury_n.jpg

There is a FJ-4 T/M/S on the airshow circuit. Did it look like this one?

250px-FJ_Fury.jpg

FJ-4 owned by Richard Sugden

Yeah that is my fault. I meant FJ-4 not F4-J... I am done with work for the week and enjoying a few beers while I watch Favre slay the Patriots....
It was the one you are referring to, I've seen it at Oshkosh the past few years.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I too saw the Fury on its belly. Not sure what happened, but I know they were craning it off the runway when I left work.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.