• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This plane .... Always reminded me of these crumpled hat guys:
Terry & the Pirates ... Steve Canyon ... Captain Midnight ... I and most boys of my generation (and probably one on either side) cut our collective teeth on those comic strips, comic books, and radio broadcasts ... great stuff; great times ... boyhood fantasies at their best!!! :)

63959-1139-96955-1-terry-and-the-pirate_medium.jpg
canyon47.jpg
captain_midnight.gif

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I just find something inherently sexy about a plane that could take off from the boat without a cat shot.

Double points for doing it without the rocket chairs for backup.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I just find something inherently sexy about a plane that could take off from the boat without a cat shot.

Right on: a STOOF deck-run was 'da BEST !!! Ol' school at it's finest !!!

I loved watching 'em from the LSO PLATFORM -- you could 'feel' the excitement of the launch as the SCREAM & THUNDER of those two Wright 1820's went right through you w/ brakes OFF ... :D

The SHOOTER would literally 'leap' into the air (a'la Indy 500 start/finish guy) when he 'released' the STOOF to her own designs and to the heavens ... :D

usn60.jpg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Terry & the Pirates ... Steve Canyon ... Captain Midnight ... I and most boys of my generation (and probably one on either side) cut our collective teeth on those comic strips, comic books, and radio broadcasts ... great stuff; great times ... boyhood fantasies at their best!!! :)

63959-1139-96955-1-terry-and-the-pirate_medium.jpg
canyon47.jpg
captain_midnight.gif

I old man says Steve Canyon and Captain Midnight were who was responsible for him becoming a pilot. He collects that stuff now.

brownshoe

Contributor

I always preferred cat shots.:) I just didn't like the sudden drop off the bow during a deck launch, the water got a bit too close.:D

Steve

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
C-1a

I had the collateral duty of USS MIDWAY's C-1A Pilot on the '71 & '72 cruises. It was a fun aircraft to fly. I didn't mind the deck launch too much as long as they had the appropriate wind down the angle (pretty tough on a hot, windless day).

To me, the hairiest thing about the deck launch was the taxi from the island back to the ramp & the 180 turn to lineup for takeoff. The cockpit was pretty much on top of the nosewheel. The "Yellow shirt" Director would taxi you 'til the nosewheel was at the round down before spinning you for max runway for takeoff. Just before the spin you look down & all you see is green water! I remember many times thinking "Lord, I hope this guy knows what he's doing"! Well, fortunately for our crew & PAX, they always did.:)

Attached, a couple of photos of MIDWAY's COD, "Schoolboy Triple Nuts" (000) in action & from the cockpit. It is today, on display on the MIDWAY Museum flight deck in San Diego.

Attachments

• C1A Landing.jpg
    C1A Landing.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Midway COD.jpg
    Midway COD.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 41
  • C1A 700.jpg
    C1A 700.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 45
  • C1A Cabin.JPG
    C1A Cabin.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 51
  • C1A Engine.jpg
    C1A Engine.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 38

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Is the nose wheel even on the deck in the in tension shot?
In a STOOF-COD or STOOF-ASW bird ???

Basically ... NO, on a CAT shot. You could pass your hand under it (sometimes). It had a little 'stub' tailwheel that it bounced off as soon as the holdback fitting broke and the aircraft drove down the CAT-Track and airflow became effective over the wings as the pilot's yoke was pulled wa-a-a-a-a-ay back ... see pix for stub tailwheel:

usn60.jpg

I got some time in the STOOF out of CUBI, complements of one of our VS-'Rons, which was participating in the LAST STOOF cruise, BTW. The ship's boys offered me some time in the ship's COD (LSO X-train), but I demurred as they would ONLY grant me stick time if I'd take a deck launch ... :D ... I wasn't sure that I was 'ready', so I got all my left seat STOOF time off the runways in CUBI ... now I wish I'd taken the deck run.

I took a couple of cat shots w/ the Aussies (me in the right seat) with 816 Squadron, HMAS Melbourne in '73 or '74 (?) ...

(note: that would be the USS MIDWAY in the background ... please observe the absolutely RIDICULOUS deck overhang on its port side ... :D)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I old man says Steve Canyon and Captain Midnight were who was responsible for him becoming a pilot. He collects that stuff now.

We had a CAPT @ one of my airlines w/ the last name of 'Midnight' ... TINS

Of course, he was always a 'hit' w/ his PA's to the PAX which all started off something like:

"THIS IS CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT .... " :D

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
That video is pretty intense! I don't think the outcome of the 5:04 incident would have been quite as rosy had that STOOF had turboprops... Talk about a flameout! Jesus!

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
And so was the C-1 TRADER which was the only 'ride' you had as a ship's company Naval Aviator in the days prior to the C-2's and the dedicated VRC COD-'Rons ....

Bottom line: the STOOF was a GREAT ol' girl in all shapes & missions ... :)

My prior boss and close friend is still a reserve cobra pilot 30+ yrs reserves, and a very good consultant job, had a C-1 trader for a few years. However, he sold it to buy a T-28... and another for spares. Saw both up close, and amazing part of Naval aviation.

Status
Not open for further replies.