• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Mainly because it's incredibly dangerous and there's nowhere to go if something goes wrong. I'm sure there's been at least one mishap but I don't know of any specifically off the top of my head. When I was on the FFG, we still briefed it as a capability/possibility and still painted the forecastle for it (as required by NAVAIR) but we never once did it. We did do a HIFR once for our deployment certification but that wasn't all that bad.

I think, much like HIFR, it just isn't that necessary anymore and the benefits don't outweigh the danger involved.
Yeah, there is almost zero visual reference from the cockpit for fwd spot VERTREP. It’s sporty in good weather, not for the faint of heart!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I was on the FFG, we still briefed it as a capability/possibility and still painted the forecastle for it (as required by NAVAIR) but we never once did it. We did do a HIFR once for our deployment certification but that wasn't all that bad.

A couple of months ago I mentioned doing forward VERTREP on the very ship you were on (it would have been the deployment before you got there, I think). It's not that bad with the launcher gone, you just have to watch the tailwheel and the lifelines. It can still be beneficial if the flight deck is fouled.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
A couple of months ago I mentioned doing forward VERTREP on the very ship you were on (it would have been the deployment before you got there, I think). It's not that bad with the launcher gone, you just have to watch the tailwheel and the lifelines. It can still be beneficial if the flight deck is fouled.
As a qualified Deck Safety Officer, I must protest that forward VERTREPs give me the heebie-jeebies. 😬

Honestly, I'm sure it has it's uses but I would say it's something reserved for when you absolutely need it such as the flight deck or hangar bays being on fire like the Sammy B or when doing mass CASEVAC. One thing I always wondered, can you do simultaneous VERTREPs with one helo forward and one back aft?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
As a qualified Deck Safety Officer, I must protest that forward VERTREPs give me the heebie-jeebies. 😬

Honestly, I'm sure it has it's uses but I would say it's something reserved for when you absolutely need it such as the flight deck or hangar bays being on fire like the Sammy B or when doing mass CASEVAC. One thing I always wondered, can you do simultaneous VERTREPs with one helo forward and one back aft?
This was a thing with the old CGNs if memory serves.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Went looking to see if there were any pics of VERTREPs to the forward station. Didn't find any but did find this nugget: mockup -60B on OHP's flight deck to test deck handling. I imagine this might have been when it became apparent the aft capstan/cleats would be way too close to the tail rotor for anyone's comfort, thus the "Long Hull" mod.
070722.jpg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Went looking to see if there were any pics of VERTREPs to the forward station. Didn't find any but did find this nugget: mockup -60B on OHP's flight deck to test deck handling. I imagine this might have been when it became apparent the aft capstan/cleats would be way too close to the tail rotor for anyone's comfort, thus the "Long Hull" mod.
070722.jpg
Here you go…

1711203946676.png
HSC-7 to USS Gettysburg circa 2013.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
070722.jpg
The long hull mod also allowed for the addition of extra ASW equipment and an aft BDS, IIRC.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The long hull mod also allowed for the addition of extra ASW equipment and an aft BDS, IIRC.
Sounds right. I cruised on one of the last surviving Short Hull OHPs - it was also the last USN H-2 deployment (HSL-84). The Short Hulls that didn't get the mod were relegated to CrackPacs and the like by the end of the 90s.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Went looking to see if there were any pics of VERTREPs to the forward station. Didn't find any but did find this nugget: mockup -60B on OHP's flight deck to test deck handling.

Here's a link to one of them.

Looking at your picture, you can see there's not RAST tracks or tail guide wire ports, either. When I look at what they're doing and where they have the bird, it looks like they may be trying to figure out the limit for twisting of the tail. It wasn't uncommon for the tail to hang out over the nets if you ended up in a weird position in the trap.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looking at your picture, you can see there's not RAST tracks or tail guide wire ports, either. When I look at what they're doing and where they have the bird, it looks like they may be trying to figure out the limit for twisting of the tail. It wasn't uncommon for the tail to hang out over the nets if you ended up in a weird position in the trap.
The short hull FFG-7s originally didn't have RAST, though I think some of them were retrofitted with it later. The one I first cruised on didn't, and didn't have an LSO station either. When I later deployed on SBR, it was interesting noticing all the differences that came with the Long Hull design.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, I'm aware. My point was that they weren't there and where the aircraft is spotted is about where it would be with a healthy twist to starboard, so they may be working on that very mod in the picture.