• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilbert123

pilot
During my time on Active Duty, these 4 ships represented one-fourth of the carrier force (16 ships in commission). Nowadays, 4 carriers would be almost HALF (only 10 carriers currently in commission or not "inactive").

I lived in the northeast for a number of years and used to drive I-95 through Baltimore. Just as you approached the tunnel under the ship channel there was a breakers yard with a carrier prominently in sight, the Coral Sea. It was heartbreaking to see her disappear before your very eyes as they took her apart bit by bit.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I lived in the northeast for a number of years and used to drive I-95 through Baltimore. Just as you approached the tunnel under the ship channel there was a breakers yard with a carrier prominently in sight, the Coral Sea. It was heartbreaking to see her disappear before your very eyes as they took her apart bit by bit.

The Coral Sea was one of the 16 boats I referenced...heartbreaking indeed.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Coral Sea was one of the 16 boats I referenced...heartbreaking indeed.
Thank the Lord MIDWAY lives on, and quite successfully. It is now the leading tourist attraction in San Diego County. Quite an achievement in an area with the world class SD Zoo, Sea World, and the Escondido Wild Animal Park!:)
CVA-41 Island.JPGHugh the 'CODfather' C-1A.jpg
*Loading out MIDWAY C-1A "Schoolboy 000" @ TanSonNhut, Saigon SVN June '72
BzB

paddybh1583

OCS 6 OCT 2013
Various (poor phone quality) photos I have taken at work over the past two weeks. B-17 Memphis Belle, Various Nasa T-38's and a NOAA King Air 350. It is always nice to see old and new on a ramp togetherB-17 Memphis Belle.JPGMemphis Belle.JPGB-17 T38.JPGNOAA King Air T38.jpeg

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seeing the KC-10 reminded me of picture I have from my grandfather before the first flight of the KC-10View attachment 12216View attachment 12217
Neat and historic photos, is Leo Hazell your GrandPop?

As a Navy retiree, I rode "Space A" in a KC-10 from George AFB in Victorville, CA to Dover AFB in MD, back in 1993. We refueled various AF fighters most of the way. Interesting flight, great box lunch, and the $10 processing fee was gratefully accepted & appreciated (one of the "perqs" of surviving a career with all those njght, sh**ty WX, NORDO, traps on a heaving/pitching 600' runway)!:eek:

*I always got a kick out of that photo of the KC-10 fueling the tiny lone A-4. Reminded me of a jolly green giant spoon feeding a tiny grasshopper!:)
BzB

paddybh1583

OCS 6 OCT 2013
Neat and historic photos, is Leo Hazell your GrandPop?

As a Navy retiree, I rode "Space A" in a KC-10 from George AFB in Victorville, CA to Dover AFB in MD, back in 1993. We refueled various AF fighters most of the way. Interesting flight, great box lunch, and the $10 processing fee was gratefully accepted & appreciated (one of the "perqs" of surviving a career with all those njght, sh**ty WX, NORDO, traps on a heaving/pitching 600' runway)!:eek:

*I always got a kick out of that photo of the KC-10 fueling the tiny lone A-4. Reminded me of a jolly green giant spoon feeding a tiny grasshopper!:)
BzB
Yes, my Grandpop. He was working for McDonnell Douglas at the time. Prior crew chief with VMF-122 during Korea.

$10 with a lunch!? Now that's a deal

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was down in Bremerton yesterday, and swung by the Inactive Ship's Office to take a look around. Sorry for the poor quality, I only had my phone on me.

In order: USS Constellation, Closeup of Connie, USS Independence and Kitty Hawk, Kitty Hawk Stern View, Kitty Hawk port side view, and Connie and Ranger.
CONNIE 2.jpgCONNIE1.jpgINDY.jpgKITTY 2.jpgKITTY.jpgRANGER AND CONNIE 2.jpg

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was down in Bremerton yesterday, and swung by the Inactive Ship's Office to take a look around. Sorry for the poor quality, I only had my phone on me.

In order: USS Constellation, Closeup of Connie, USS Independence and Kitty Hawk, Kitty Hawk Stern View, Kitty Hawk port side view, and Connie and Ranger.[/ATTACH]
Just breaks my heart seeing these grand old ladies, now stripped And dilapidated, sitting sadly on 'death row'.

Made '60 & '66 deployments on RANGER (VA-94/VA-146); and '62 & '67 on CONNIE (VA-55/VA-146), both fine warships.:(
*Satellite photo of the Bremerton 4 "death row" below:
4 Elderly Sisters CVs 62, 63, 64, & 61.jpg
BzB

Renegade One

None
FJ-1 FURY, best caption :D
Yep..tailcode, T/M/S and decal under the windscreen would indicate a North American FJ-1 Fury, assigned to VF-5A (so designated on 15 November 1946 and finally redesigned VF-51 on 16 August 1948, then retaining that designation until the squadron’s disestablishment in March 1995.) On October 1947, the Screaming Eagles became the first Navy squadron to enter the jet age with delivery of the North American FJ-1 Fury; the squadron used this fighter to conduct the USN's first operational all-jet aircraft carrier landings at sea on 10 March 1948 aboard USS Boxer.

Proud group of"Screaming Eagle"pilots "sweeping the skies"…or perhaps rowing ashore…I dunno.

Anyone know what the 5 white stripes are by the NLG door are….some sort of "visual gouge" for the LSOs to assess approach attitude? Just my guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.