• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I'm interested in the $ as to why no municipality has jumped on the chance to turn a supercarrier into a museum/restaurant/attraction.
It would take one hell of a business coalition, but it seems to have worked out for Intrepid, Yorktown, and Midway. Midway has an especially nice setup. Supers must just be an order of magnitude more $ to maintain.
Damn shame.

Newport was looking to get a carrier and the folks who run Battleship Cove walked through the expenses with them.
You need to have a 1000' of pier space, which not many places can afford to give up. If you already have it, then you are taking up a significant piece of income generating propertythat could be used for shipping. If you have to build it, then you need a whole lot of cash before you even get the ship.
You may have to drege to get the ship in. About every 20 years, the ship needs to go into dry dock for maintenance and you have to pay for that. You may have to dredge again to get it out of its berth like they just did with the Intrepid.

Boston wanted to get the Kennedy to add to the JFK museum but when they saw the costs to dredge and then the infrastructure costs to support, they walked away.

A lot of the cost issue can be determine with the expected number of tourists you can get. The Intrepid is kind of a bad example because so many folks go to NYC that it's another thing to do while there. The sheer number of people in NYC make it an aborration.

A better example is the Yorktown outside of Charleston which has run into lots of problems but seems to be surviving. http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/...o-emerge-from-stormy-seas/Content?oid=2463938

Aquonox

Just rolling along
None
Over Bremerton today, from the top:

CV-61 - USS Ranger (Forrestal class)
CV-64 - USS Constellation (Kitty Hawk class)
CV-63 - USS Kitty Hawk (Kitty Hawk class)
CV-62 - USS Independence (Forrestal class)

8617393483_dbc54e353f_b.jpg

My dad deployed on the Ranger back in 1979 (when it hit that tanker). I heard that the Ranger might become a museum ship, but I haven't heard anything recently about how that process is going.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My dad deployed on the Ranger back in 1979 (when it hit that tanker). I heard that the Ranger might become a museum ship, but I haven't heard anything recently about how that process is going.
The USS Ranger Foundation requested the ship for a CVA Museum in Portland, OR some 5+ years ago. Initially the request was approved, as fundraising by the Foundation ramped up. Recently, the Navy withdrew the offer, but they haven't given up, as the Navy decision is under appeal by Portland & the Foundation. I suspect that the Navy felt the ongoing cost of the ship upgrade, relocation, and continuous hull maintenance was well in excess of the donation results to date. The present state of the economy doesn't help, and it will be interesting to see if the project survives, or ol' "Top Gun" ends up in millions of Gillette safety razors.:(
CVA-61 Island.jpgUSS RANGER MUG.jpg
BzB

Aquonox

Just rolling along
None
The USS Ranger Foundation requested the ship for a CVA Museum in Portland, OR some 5+ years ago. Initially the request was approved, as fundraising by the Foundation ramped up. Recently, the Navy withdrew the offer, but they haven't given up, as the Navy decision is under appeal by Portland & the Foundation. I suspect that the Navy felt the ongoing cost of the ship upgrade, relocation, and continuous hull maintenance was well in excess of the donation results to date. The present state of the economy doesn't help, and it will be interesting to see if the project survives, or ol' "Top Gun" ends up in millions of Gillette safety razors.:(
View attachment 12166View attachment 12167
BzB

Thanks for the info BzB! I hope CV-61 doesn't go to scrap! :(

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Over Bremerton today, from the top:

CV-61 - USS Ranger (Forrestal class)
CV-64 - USS Constellation (Kitty Hawk class)
CV-63 - USS Kitty Hawk (Kitty Hawk class)
CV-62 - USS Independence (Forrestal class)

8617393483_dbc54e353f_b.jpg

During my time on Active Duty, these 4 ships represented one-fourth of the carrier force (16 ships in commission). Nowadays, 4 carriers would be almost HALF (only 10 carriers currently in commission or not "inactive").

Status
Not open for further replies.