• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saw a B-17 flying around P-Cola beach yesterday at about 1700. I saw 4 Fans of Freedom on a low wing airplane that wasn't the WarPig and was very confused.

Anyone know why she's in town?
At first, thought it might be this beauty... B-17G "Sentimental Journey". Owned/operated by the Commemerative (Pre-PC 'Confederate') Air Force (CAF), based/flown out of Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ. She travels the show circuit selling "rides for maintenance/restoration" and really earns her keep. Also the headliner in the annual "Night In The '40s" WWII USO dance/show, held at the CAF hangar at Falcon Field. They park her just outside of the open hangar doors, and make many $$$ selling color photos of attendees taken up near the cockpit. Really enjoyed that show every fall.:D

My AZ home is located 1.5 miles east of Falcon, and her landing pattern for the north/south runway brought her right over my home at ~700-800 ft. You always knew she was 'comin' back in town' by the unique deep roar of her 4 R-1820s... nary ever a noise complaint in our area!;)
B-17G Sentimental Journey.jpg
24%20B-17G%20N9323Z%20right%20side%20flying%20l.jpg
BzB

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Apparently, there's a P-51D & a B-17 at Pensacola Muni (excuse, me the mayor says International) today. You can get a hop in the jumpseat of the P-51 for $200 simolians. I'm not sure how much a ride in the Flying Fortress goes for. FWIW.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
I think it was called “Basic” as BzB said.

At the time, and coming out of Primary with VT-1 at Saufley, you had to make a decision… Jets, Props, or Helos. That determined where you went, depending of course upon grades too.

Jets went to VT-7 in Meridian flying T-2s…followed by Advanced in F-9s or A-4s in Beeville or Kingsville.

Props went to Whiting in T-28s and then on to Corpus Christi flying S-2s.

Helos stayed in P’cola at Ellyson field.

So I think the progression for all was: Primary, Basic, Advanced, Wings, ... then Fleet or stashed.

Leave us not forget VT-30 at Corpus ...Advanced ...flyin' Spads! Living in the NavCad Barracks ...life was GOOD!!

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Here are a few quick shots of the "B" that came into work today. It's in town for a "Piston Power" show at the expo center next to the ramp I work on. The expo center was originally built as a factory for B-29's during WW2. On Wednesday this week we will take down a part of the fence and tow some airplanes into the expo center. Pretty cool evolution - I've been able to tow a B-17, B-25, P-51 and a T-6 in the last few years.

KCLE_T-28B_138245.jpg

KCLE_T-28B_138245a.jpg

KCLE_T-28B_138245b.jpg

KCLE_T-28B_138245c.jpg

KCLE_T-28B_138245d.jpg

Here's a video of the towing op - I'm the one towing the B-17 and B-25.

dilbert123

pilot
What a great find, thanks for posting. I still have vivid memories of running in formation on the seawall down by the seaplane ramps and all the hangars there busy overhauling aircraft. There would be a strong, pungent smell of paint stripper in the air and several rivers of yellow-green (and no doubt toxic) goop that we ran through. It is amazing we don't all have respiratory problems today or cancer of the toes or something. I'd give anything to go back and do it all over again. I'd tell that young man I was to slow down, take it all in, enjoy the moment, this will be the most memorable and exciting times of your life. But that is an old man's thoughts. How lucky and privileged I was to have had the opportunity to be there and be a part of that life.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
non-random-03_15_13-920-10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.