• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilbert123

pilot
Here are a few pictures of a Wildcat that crashed in 1944 shortly after taking off from the USS Sable. The plane was recovered from Lake Michigan this past December.
Link to the article: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...e-found-lake-michigan-front_62204_600x450.jpg
ww2-era-airplane-found-lake-michigan-front_62204_600x450.jpg
Thanks for posting.
I was flying out of North Island in the late '60's when the Navy fished an F6F out of the drink. The word was that they were curious about the effects of deep water submersion on the airframe. It came up looking good and with a cleaning the guns in the wing were fired successfully. The pilot who had flown the aircraft in the mid-40's and had been forced to ditch was on hand to see her brought up. How cool is that? I think the lack of oxygen in very deep water preserved the aircraft very well. Don't know what happened to the aircraft after that, however.

WEGL12

VT-28
Thanks for posting.
I was flying out of North Island in the late '60's when the Navy fished an F6F out of the drink. The word was that they were curious about the effects of deep water submersion on the airframe. It came up looking good and with a cleaning the guns in the wing were fired successfully. The pilot who had flown the aircraft in the mid-40's and had been forced to ditch was on hand to see her brought up. How cool is that? I think the lack of oxygen in very deep water preserved the aircraft very well. Don't know what happened to the aircraft after that, however.

I'm not sure but I know the Yorktown has a F-6F and F-4U that were recovered from a lake. No idea where the Hellcat came from but it was restored and delivered in the early 1980's. The Corsair came from Lake Michigan around the same time period.

Here is another on going project with a recovered Curtiss Helldiver: http://vulturesrowaviation.com/helldiver10_2010.html

The Helldiver project seems to be a big deal because very few are around (less than 10 I think). I know a few years ago the Yorktown, Intrepid, and Hornet were fighting over who would get the next restored Helldiver. I only know the situation from one museum's standpoint, but this was the only plane the Yorktown didn't have that actually operated off the carrier. There was a big push to have the complete collection of F-6F, F-4U, Avenger, Skyraider, A-4, E-1, S-2 and H-34. The only plane needed to complete the collection was the Helldiver but I believe money became an issue.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was that Primary or Advanced? They were still using the T-28 as a Primary trainer in Corpus when I retired in '82. I got the chance to fly one with an instructor from IUT.
In T-28s, it was called "Basic" at Whiting & Barin in '57 (Primary was T-34s @ Saufley), then after Barin... off to advanced in different types/bases.

T-28s @ Whiting Field in the Sixties:

View attachment 12049
Looks much the same, only difference was our T-28s still had the ol' "Yellow Peril" paint scheme, and 2W on the tail. I cannot make out the tail letters in this photo.
BzB:cool:

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was that Primary or Advanced? They were still using the T-28 as a Primary trainer in Corpus when I retired in '82. I got the chance to fly one with an instructor from IUT.
I think it was called “Basic” as BzB said.

At the time, and coming out of Primary with VT-1 at Saufley, you had to make a decision… Jets, Props, or Helos. That determined where you went, depending of course upon grades too.

Jets went to VT-7 in Meridian flying T-2s…followed by Advanced in F-9s or A-4s in Beeville or Kingsville.

Props went to Whiting in T-28s and then on to Corpus Christi flying S-2s.

Helos stayed in P’cola at Ellyson field.

So I think the progression for all was: Primary, Basic, Advanced, Wings, ... then Fleet or stashed.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Saw a B-17 flying around P-Cola beach yesterday at about 1700. I saw 4 Fans of Freedom on a low wing airplane that wasn't the WarPig and was very confused.

Anyone know why she's in town?

Status
Not open for further replies.