• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
784515_zps23c2688c.jpg

Third Marine Aircraft Wing's first F-35B taxis in Fri., Nov. 16, 2012 at approximately 1 p.m. on the Marine Corps Air Station Yuma flightline. Piloted by F-35 pilot instructor Maj. A. C. Liberman, today's arrival highlights next week's official re-designation of Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 121, an F/A-18 Hornet Squadron, as the world's first operational F-35 squadron at MCAS Yuma. The F-35B accomplishes the multi-role, fifth-generation capabilities needed across the full spectrum of military operations to deter potential adversaries and protect our nation and its interests. Known as the F-35 Lightning II, the F-35B will eventually replace the Corps' aging legacy tactical fleet of AV-8B Harriers, F/A-18 Hornets and EA-6B Prowlers.
Story: YumaSun / photo: LANCE CPL. WILLIAM WATERSTREET

More photos here.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
^^^ Crazy. So how is -121 doing the aircrew manning part? Are single anchors being retained and transitioned, or did they already send those folks off to other commands? Also, I guess they will not be VMF(AW) anymore :)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
^^^ Crazy. So how is -121 doing the aircrew manning part? Are single anchors being retained and transitioned, or did they already send those folks off to other commands? Also, I guess they will not be VMF(AW) anymore :)

Pretty much a total exchange of personnel. All F-35 pilots are board selected at this point, so they're all coming through the RAG from all over the Corps.

The "and WSO" designation is indeed gone. It's just VMFA-121.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Pretty much a total exchange of personnel. All F-35 pilots are board selected at this point, so they're all coming through the RAG from all over the Corps.

The "and WSO" designation is indeed gone. It's just VMFA-121.

Figured as much, I assumed the guys at -121 didn't just get lucky and bag all the first F-35 slots (or any of them for that matter).

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Figured as much, I assumed the guys at -121 didn't just get lucky and bag all the first F-35 slots (or any of them for that matter).

I 'd imagine that there's a -121 guy in the mix somewhere, just not by design. At some point later they'll switch entire squadrons over all at once. It'll be a couple years, though.

KBayDog

I 'd imagine that there's a -121 guy in the mix somewhere, just not by design. At some point later they'll switch entire squadrons over all at once. It'll be a couple years, though.

And just as smooth (and as on time...and as under budget...and as thoroughly planned...) as the HMM/VMM switcheroo.

Renegade One

None
Interesting that they would "first transition" a two-seat Delta squadron (from Miramar) instead of an AV-8 squadron....from Yuma. To now be based in Yuma. Especially in light of the recent combat attrition within the Harrier community.

Just checked my e-mails...nope...no one ever consulted me. WTF?!? ;)

An aside...used to work for LM...at the time the name "Lightning II" was being tossed about/debated/selected. One of the funnier "video ideas" being bantered about was a 30-second thingie that basically ended with "Lightning DOES Strike Twice"...picture a two-man crew walking out to their jet (2-seat Hornet, Tomcat, whatever...)..first "bolt of lightning" obliterates the legacy aircraft and you see an F-35 in its place....second "bolt of lightning" turns the WSO/RIO into a small pile of smoking ash...and the pilot continues to walk to the new jet.

Never made the cut...for obvious reasons, but [to steal a riff from George Patton]..."Goddam, it was beautiful!"

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Just being a dick here, but he did a sweet job settin' it down right in the chocks... :)

I guess we're gonna have to winter over again in Yuma to get us some F-35 sightings.

Not being a dick at all! I was thinking how hard it it must be to taxi with chocks in.

If you're in Yuma, drop me a line. I was standing on the side of the runway when it landed and it's a good view.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Yeah I remember a couple years ago, a number of my former IP's at -101 going to the F-35 RAG. My guess is that they will be among the ones standing up this re-incarnation of the Green Knights.

As a side note, good day for a lot of guys to be USMC tacair. For all the complaining about small budget, being at the mercy of the DoN, and whatever else, the Marines are getting the newest toy before anyone else this time. Then again, I think they got the Hornet first too, at least operationally speaking.....

navyao

784515_zps23c2688c.jpg

Third Marine Aircraft Wing's first F-35B taxis in Fri., Nov. 16, 2012 at approximately 1 p.m. on the Marine Corps Air Station Yuma flightline. Piloted by F-35 pilot instructor Maj. A. C. Liberman, today's arrival highlights next week's official re-designation of Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 121, an F/A-18 Hornet Squadron, as the world's first operational F-35 squadron at MCAS Yuma. The F-35B accomplishes the multi-role, fifth-generation capabilities needed across the full spectrum of military operations to deter potential adversaries and protect our nation and its interests. Known as the F-35 Lightning II, the F-35B will eventually replace the Corps' aging legacy tactical fleet of AV-8B Harriers, F/A-18 Hornets and EA-6B Prowlers.
Story: YumaSun / photo: LANCE CPL. WILLIAM WATERSTREET

More photos here.

Harrier Dude,

Re. the paint job; is that how they'll have to be maintained, it looks very "Chair Force-ish." Of course the "brains" at Lockheed took corrosion control into account for both the bravo and charlie, we don't operate in controlled environments like the Air Farce. Anyway just curious if they'll eventually take on the weathered look we are all used to.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Harrier Dude,

Re. the paint job; is that how they'll have to be maintained, it looks very "Chair Force-ish." Of course the "brains" at Lockheed took corrosion control into account for both the bravo and charlie, we don't operate in controlled environments like the Air Farce. Anyway just curious if they'll eventually take on the weathered look we are all used to.

My understanding is yes, that's how they're always going to look. The big question to me is how the Marine Corps that can't keep a Harrier/Hornet from getting "weathered" is going to maintain stealth composite on the boat.

Evidently, there's a plan for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.