• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
nope, not an x-35. keep guessing.
:)
two more grumman photos from about '73. we returned two f-11's to flight status (one came off a pedestal from somewhere, i believe) and modified one with an in flight thrust control system (not vectored).
8153858697_76f9c67a07_z.jpg

8153858651_48a7bd24b7_z.jpg

these were the last f-11's to fly.
seems to me it would be an excellent bird for some rich guy to buy. shouldn't be much harder than an f-86 to restore and there's lots of them flying

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
... two more grumman photos from about '73. we returned two f-11's to flight status (one came off a pedestal from somewhere, i believe) and modified one with an in flight thrust control system (not vectored). ... These were the last f-11's to fly.
I remember landing at Pax or Andrews once and seeing these two. I was really surprised since I thought they were all long gone. They had a great paint job, and the bare metal on the leading edges and elsewhere shined like a brilliant mirror. Beautiful aircraft! Wasn't NASA flying/testing them at the time?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
re:" Wasn't NASA flying/testing them at the time?'
there was DARPA and NASA. one or the other continued to fly them after grumman did the initial flight evals.

BTW, i've often wondered how the f-11 did against the f-8 in 1v1 ACM. not sure much of it ever happened but it would be nice to know.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
nope, not an x-35. keep guessing.
:)
two more grumman photos from about '73. we returned two f-11's to flight status (one came off a pedestal from somewhere, i believe) and modified one with an in flight thrust control system (not vectored).
8153858697_76f9c67a07_z.jpg

8153858651_48a7bd24b7_z.jpg

these were the last f-11's to fly.
seems to me it would be an excellent bird for some rich guy to buy. shouldn't be much harder than an f-86 to restore and there's lots of them flying

Anyone around here have any traps in that thing? Seems to me it would be a nightmare to try and get aboard with those TINY, stubby, swept wings. Equivalent airspeed for approach AOA must have been pretty high?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
re:"Anyone around here have any traps in that thing? Seems to me it would be a nightmare to try and get aboard with those TINY, stubby, swept wings. Equivalent airspeed for approach AOA must have been pretty high?"

tried google. couldn't find any adverse comments on f-11 carrier suitability.

did find this bit of trivia, though.

"First flown in July 1954. Subsequent test trials provided for one of the most bizarre moments in aviation history when a Grumman pilot managed to "shoot himself down" with his own bullets. Firing the guns in a dive, the trajectory of the bullets allowed him to overtake them on his pullout causing aircraft damage, an engine flame-out and a crash landing."

http://www.aerofiles.com/tiger-tail.html

note, he probably used rwy 32 at calverton and it appears he would impacted the ground just about where f-14a number one crashed in dec of '70.

certianly a 'WTF?' moment.

this version must have been quite a rocket ship,
super tiger,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F11F-1F_Super_Tiger

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW, i've often wondered how the f-11 did against the f-8 in 1v1 ACM. not sure much of it ever happened but it would be nice to know.
My money would be on the F-8:

F-8 Thrust/Wt.= .62:1​
F-11 Thrust/Wt.= .50:1​
F-8 Wing Loading= 77.3lb/ft2
F-11 Wing Loading=84.0 lb/ft2

navyao

Speakin' of Fallon, a month of fun in the sun... as one of 6 newly winged ENSs, famming the sweetest, nimblest non-afterburning Navy jet fighter EVER, the FJ-4 Fury. Got to play with these neat toys for 4 months after our redesignation from VF-94 to VA-94, while awaiting delivery of 14 factory-fresh fleet intro A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawks. Great times, bagged 90 FJ hrs. including 2 X/Cs awaiting our A-4s.:)
View attachment 11592
Below, BzB flying wing w/ LT JIM "J. J." Brennan leading. Flying over the (under construction) new NAS Lemoore, CA in late 1958 (NLC didn't open 'til July 1961).:)
View attachment 11593
Below "Martini Flight" relaxing at cold, snowy NAAS Fallon in Dec. '58. Famous ex-POW (then LTjg) CAPT Dick 'Beak' Stratton 2nd from left... ENS BzB on far right.
View attachment 11594
BzB

BzB,

When you were in VA-94 were they known as the "Shrikes?"

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB,

When you were in VA-94 were they known as the "Shrikes?"

Roger "Shrikes"! That squadron nickname was selected in an all hands Contest, & became official on 1 August 1958, when we were redesignated from VF-94 to VA-94.
6838.jpg<-VF-944754.jpg <-VA-94

Shrike: "A small ferocious bird', we thought that a very fitting description of our brand new Skyhawks! Rumor has it that the small orange 'shrike' on the new VA-94 patch... was inspired by the bird on the label of a Thunderbird wine bottle!!!;)
VF-94 FJ-3M  c. 1958.jpgMt. Fugi VA-94.jpg
BzB

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Roger "Shrikes"! That squadron nickname was selected in an all hands Contest, & became official on 1 August 1958, when we were redesignated from VF-94 to VA-94.
View attachment 11609<-VF-94View attachment 11610 <-VA-94

Shrike: "A small ferocious bird', we thought that a very fitting description of our brand new Skyhawks! Rumor has it that the small orange 'shrike' on the new VA-94 patch... was inspired by the bird on the label of a Thunderbird wine bottle!!!;)
View attachment 11611View attachment 11612
BzB
gallothunderbird1.jpg

Must be the old logo.....

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Must be the old logo.....
Not sure, but I think the T'Bird label was different some 50+ yrs ago before Gallo was in the picture??? Back then, T'Bird had a bad rep as a cheapo jug for winos. Gallo I think upgraded it's rep quite a bit.:eek:
BzB

MasterBates

T-Bird is pretty much still that.. I only see it in the stores when I'm working in the 'Hood, like tonight.

If a store sells T-Bird or MD 20/20, odds are you will be hit up for cash/food within a block of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.