• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Don't remember if I ever carried any of those flares. But I will never forget trying to do 40 degree night bombing with those "flickering, shadow-producing, vertigo-generators" allegedly trying to illuminate the target... either in training around the Salton Sea, or for real around the Mu Ghia Pass.

As a newly winged nugget and fresh caught F-4 driver, I couldn't believe anybody could night bomb with those damn things. It was f'n crazy! As the flares swung back and forth in their chutes as you know, the shadows danced, ebbed and flowed. Terrible vertigo inducing! It was like a horror movie on Halloween. It was worse than a night trap in bad weather!

Most of my "flare" flyin' was done in the Med flying the Spad ...bombing smoke lights, sometimes under flares ...at night. Nothing like eight 45* runs down the chute, under a flare throwing those shadows around the cockpit ...high speed 4 G pullup, rejoin the racetrack pattern, do it again. It WILL make a very damn good instrument pilot out of ya ...if you survive! LOL!!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
dsc01541n.jpg

My buddy got a shot of me from vulture row just as my hook was catching the 3 wire.

navyao

Roman343.jpg
T-33.jpg

Roman 343 making a "dirty pass" minus his hook & a Black Diamond T-33 get'n down low at Bradford Beach, Milwaukee today.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
Don't remember if I ever carried any of those flares. But I will never forget trying to do 40 degree night bombing with those "flickering, shadow-producing, vertigo-generators" allegedly trying to illuminate the target... either in training around the Salton Sea, or for real around the Mu Ghia Pass.

As a newly winged nugget and fresh caught F-4 driver, I couldn't believe anybody could night bomb with those damn things. It was f'n crazy! As the flares swung back and forth in their chutes as you know, the shadows danced, ebbed and flowed. Terrible vertigo inducing! It was like a horror movie on Halloween. It was worse than a night trap in bad weather!

i used to get my ex wife flares from the flarist for her birthday. she still dumped me.
::)

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
definetly a future fighter puke.
took my 6 year old grandson up for some glider acro.
he started laughing during the loop and didn't stop till touchdown.
7789205224_8e562b9486_z.jpg

7794752230_4394d737f7_z.jpg

i hope this is military enough. i do have a squadron tee shirt on.
also, i'm sure a lot of us remember the salty dog.

his post flight comments,
"when i grow up, i wanna be just like you, grandpa."
to which i replied,
"you can't do both, son."

brownshoe

Contributor
definetly a future fighter puke.took my 6 year old grandson up for some glider acro. he started laughing during the loop and didn't stop till touchdown.

i hope this is military enough. i do have a squadron tee shirt on.
also, i'm sure a lot of us remember the salty dog.

his post flight comments,
"when i grow up, i wanna be just like you, grandpa."
to which i replied, "you can't do both, son."

Very well said, flaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.