• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Reminds me of the old joke:
An fighter was flying next to a C-130. Being a fighter jock, the pilot of the fighter radioed the C-130 and said, "hey, watch what I can do!" and proceeded to do a series of loops, rolls, hammerheads, and all sorts of aerobatics. The C-130 pilot radios back, "not bad, but watch what I can do." The fighter pilot waits and waits, but the C-130 just keeps on flying straight and level. The fighter pilot radios back "I don't get what's so impressive...you didn't do anything!" The C-130 pilot replies "Sure I did. I got up, walked to the back. Stretched my legs. Took a leak. And then got a cup of coffee."

The other version I heard of that is once the fighter does his thing, the P-3 (or C-130) goes "watch this" and shuts down an engine. Ahh, multi-engine humor.

dilbert123

pilot
hc7s.jpg

One of the most decorated aviation crews in history.
Pilot Lt. Clyde Lassen (seated in cockpit) was awarded the Medal of Honor for extending a daytime, over-water mission into a night penetration of North Vietnam to rescue an F-4 Phantom crew.
Co-pilot Lt. Leroy Cook (right, with M16 rifle) received the Navy Cross.
The other two flight crew members, Bruce Dallas and Don West (at rear door, with weapons), received Silver Stars.
The June 18, 1968, Medal of Honor mission was flown by UH-2A Seasprite Bureau No. 149764 of Helicopter Composite Squadron Seven, or HC-7, using the radio call sign Clementine Two. Photo courtesy of the Robert F. Dorr Collection Linky

I was an instructor at VT-1, Saufley, in the late 60's, early 70's. Clyde Lassen was an instructor there in the flight I was in (Flight 14) and I got to know him. Very quiet guy, hardly ever saw him unless flight ops were going on, didn't have much to say. I remember inspections when everyone would be mulling around and then Clyde would walk up to join the group. It would get quiet once you saw him with that medal hanging around his neck. He didn't have to say much, it pretty much did the talking for him.He was very devoted to his family.

Clyde unfortunately died fairly young of cancer. He has a destroyer named for him and, ironically, it was at one time (maybe still is for all I know) captained by a young officer of Vietnamese descent. They made a port call in Viet Nam not too long ago in celebration of a native born Vietnamese in command of a U S Navy ship.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'm sure all these guys are/were bad dudes but that guy on the lower right surely looks the part.

navyao

That reminds me of when I was in Fallon, NV two years ago. A buddy of mine who flies C-130s was hanging out with us in the O'Club. After the beer had been flowing for a while, we start busting his balls about flying the C-130. You know, the typical "if you can't hover, you're gay" stuff. He doesn't say anything, just pulls out his iPhone and starts scrolling through pictures until he finds the one he wants. He shows it to us, he's got a big smile, wearing his hat/headset and holding up a plate of food. "That's a pecan crusted Tilapia with a mango salsa. You can keep your hovering."

We had no comeback.

When I was in Vp-90 I was in the process of being seat qual'd as AO aircrew. Flying was at a premium; TORPEX, Mining derbys, cruise, etc. What I think I enjoyed the most though were our trips down to NAS NOLA. Every summer we'd have our squadron PRT and then the family picnic on station. The friday prior to the PRT and picnic we'd fly down to NOLA and fill up four or five coolers with shrimp and fly it back to Glenview. One year we had an Ensign in the squadron who was with us TAD until his class in VF-101 started (still don't understand why he was with us but whatever). This ensign was all of 5'5, 5'6. Poor planning on both of our parts was who led the way up the crew ladder. My job was to keep the cooler above my head as the Ens. went up the ladder backwards. The cooler was so full of shrimp and sea water that the slightest change in the cooler's AOA would create a major spill. About half way up the ladder the damn thing got heavy and it leaned towards me spilling sea water and shrimp extriments down the front of my bag. Needless to say I was instructed to reamin in the AO's seat for the return trip back to Glenview because of the stink...good times!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Clyde unfortunately died fairly young of cancer. He has a destroyer named for him and, ironically, it was at one time (maybe still is for all I know) captained by a young officer of Vietnamese descent. They made a port call in Viet Nam not too long ago in celebration of a native born Vietnamese in command of a U S Navy ship.

CDR Hung Ba Le USNA '92, CO USS CLYDE LASSEN (DDG-82) 2009-10
CDR Hung Ba Le USS LASSEN.jpg
During the fall of Saigon in 1975, 5-year old Le with his family, fled Vietnam in a small fishing trawler. They were rescued by a Navy amphib and brought to the U.S. as refugees.
CDR H. B. LE  CO DDG-82.jpg
On 7 Nov. 2009, CDR Le returned for a port call in Danang, Vietnam, as CO USS LASSEN. He and the crew were greeted and treated like rock stars. What a story, for the Skipper, the Crew, & for U.S./Vietnamese relations!:D
BzB

Status
Not open for further replies.