• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

nugget61

pilot
NASA Image of the Day
A United States Marine Corps helicopter is seen flying through this scene of the full moon and the U.S. Capitol on Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2012, from Arlington National Cemetery. Image Credit: NASA/Bill Ingalls
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/621750main_201202070004HQ_full.jpg
621750main_201202070004HQ_full.jpg

navyao

Lots of Pioneer love around here today. Good stuff.
Yea that's pretty cool. Does anyone know if the TRAM or IRST or whatever the camera turret's called if it can be secreted into the jet? Now I want to see one TAC grey with the bomb bay open!

jmcquate

Contributor
Yea that's pretty cool. Does anyone know if the TRAM or IRST or whatever the camera turret's called if it can be secreted into the jet? Now I want to see one TAC grey with the bomb bay open!
Where's the MAD boom......everything is better with more MAD boom.

Flugelman

Contributor
No MAD, but I've been told that it has a diesel sniffer, so it's got that going for it, which is nice.

You jest, but this old tweet actually worked on sniffers in the P2.

And yes, it is nice to see some Pioneer luv around here. I was there when we got the first of our S3's. I actually installed a paper MAD recorder in one to corroborate the MAD digital stuff. I would love to be there now with the P8 coming in.

VX-1 sent a couple of pilots to Corpus to do the Op-Eval on the T-34C while I was there. They came back crowing about how they kicked T-28 ass in some 1v1. You wouldn't see or hear that sort of thing today.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^^^ Crew lunches too? Or would that require additional sensor inside the cabin? :confused:

Flugelman

Contributor
Obviously not the most authoritative source, but according to Wikipedia, the P-8 will have "a new hydrocarbon sensor to detect fuel vapors from diesel submarines and other conventionally powered ships."

Wow! The more things change...

By the time we transitioned from SP2H to P3-B the sniffer was gone from the P3. The focus then was also more on the nuke boats. I guess with the advent of microprocessors and digital processing the idea of a sniffer becomes more realistic. Upon more research it looks like they are using some type of LIDAR technology but I don't want to violate any OPSEC concerns so I'll stop here.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
B1.jpg

Taking off
A B-1B Lancer departs for a training mission over the Nevada Test and Training Range Jan. 24, 2011, during Red Flag 12-2 at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev. Red Flag is a realistic, combat-training exercise involving the air forces of the United States and its allies. (U.S. Air Force courtesy photo)

Status
Not open for further replies.